Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running 2 versions side by side?
26-10-2016, 19:58
Running 2 versions side by side?
Can you run Minimserver twice on a QNAP NAS? Reason I ask, is I am trying to simplify use of my stored media for my wife. She has a different taste in music to me and I don't want to have her music on my server and vice versa.

Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2016, 08:14
RE: Running 2 versions side by side?
(26-10-2016 19:58)Billzab Wrote:  Can you run Minimserver twice on a QNAP NAS? Reason I ask, is I am trying to simplify use of my stored media for my wife. She has a different taste in music to me and I don't want to have her music on my server and vice versa.

Bill.

You can't run multiple instances but there are various ways to manage this situation.

If the music is completely different with no overlap, you can put all your wife's music under a separate content directory folder. When you browse the library, you can select [folder view] > bill's music > Tag View to see your music and your wife can select [folder view] > wife's music > Tag View to see her music.

If there is some overlap, the best approach is to put a 'Bill' tag in your music and a 'Wife' tag in your wife's music (change these names as appropriate). Music that you both want to see can be tagged with both 'Bill' and 'Wife'. When you browse the library, you can select 'Bill' to see your music and your wife can select 'Wife' to see her music.
24-11-2016, 21:04
Lightbulb RE: Running 2 versions side by side?
(26-10-2016 19:58)Billzab Wrote:  Can you run Minimserver twice on a QNAP NAS? Reason I ask, is I am trying to simplify use of my stored media for my wife. She has a different taste in music to me and I don't want to have her music on my server and vice versa.

Bill.

I also wanted a separate music server on my NAS for my wife. Her music isn't as structured as mine and contains less tracks but far more different artists. So I don't want to combine both libraries.

Idea
I uploaded my wifes music to a seperate directory and set up Synology Media Server looking to this directory. So now I'm running two different media servers and two different music directories on one NAS. A simple media server for my wife and the well tuned MinimServer for my own music.

On our phones running Bubbleupnp my wife and I can select our own music library and even look into each others library without one library contaminating the other. Switching between the two libraries is effortless.
26-11-2016, 17:31
I have done just that sort of thing on my Melco N1A. Using minimserver feeding WAV. And the native Twonky for the less preferred directory.
Donuk, sunny downtown York
27-11-2016, 09:28
(26-11-2016 17:31)Donuk Wrote:  I have done just that sort of thing on my Melco N1A. Using minimserver feeding WAV. And the native Twonky for the less preferred directory.
Donuk, sunny downtown York

WAV, not WAV24?