Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch on Macbook Pro
15-10-2016, 17:16
MinimWatch on Macbook Pro
I seem to have finally managed to install minim server on my Melco N1. However, I'm having a couple of difficulties. I can't understand how to use minim watch ( I 'think' I have installed it on my MacBook Pro) and also many of my albums are not showing up under the minim server menu but they are showing up under the Melco menu.
Are any of you able to help?
Find all posts by this user
15-10-2016, 17:39 (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 17:40 by simoncn.)
RE: MinimWatch on Macbook Pro
(15-10-2016 17:16)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  I seem to have finally managed to install minim server on my Melco N1. However, I'm having a couple of difficulties. I can't understand how to use minim watch ( I 'think' I have installed it on my MacBook Pro) and also many of my albums are not showing up under the minim server menu but they are showing up under the Melco menu.

When you double-click the MinimWatch icon in your Applications folder, you should see a minim icon (musical note) in the macOS menu bar. If you see this icon, you have installed MinimWatch correctly.

You can find instructions for using MinimWatch in this section. To view the MinimServer log, you need to select 'Show log' from the minim icon.

Do you see any error messages in the MinimServer log relating to the missing albums?
15-10-2016, 17:45
Thank you for your reply. The minim watch icon is not in my applications folder. There are two musical note icons at the top of the screen. One is red and one is black on a grey background.
No erro messages but for example - when I search under Paul Simon as an artist I cannot see his Graceland album even though I know I have it.
(15-10-2016 17:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 17:16)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  I seem to have finally managed to install minim server on my Melco N1. However, I'm having a couple of difficulties. I can't understand how to use minim watch ( I 'think' I have installed it on my MacBook Pro) and also many of my albums are not showing up under the minim server menu but they are showing up under the Melco menu.

When you double-click the MinimWatch icon in your Applications folder, you should see a minim icon (musical note) in the macOS menu bar. If you see this icon, you have installed MinimWatch correctly.

You can find instructions for using MinimWatch in this section. To view the MinimServer log, you need to select 'Show log' from the minim icon.

Do you see any error messages in the MinimServer log relating to the missing albums?
15-10-2016, 18:06
Examples of messages found in log:

Graceland (25th Anniversary Edition)/02 Graceland.aiff (length 172600300)
Warning: form size extends past end of file in AIFF file import_iTunes/Paul Simon/Graceland (25th Anniversary Edition)/01 The Boy In The Bubble.aiff (length 142638916)
Warning: ignored conflicting DISCNUMBER value 1 in file import_iTunes/Paul McCartney & Wings/Band On The Run [Disc 2]/09 Zoo Gang.aif
15-10-2016, 18:15
(15-10-2016 18:06)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  Examples of messages found in log:

Warning: form size extends past end of file in AIFF file import_iTunes/Paul Simon/Graceland (25th Anniversary Edition)/01 The Boy In The Bubble.aiff (length 142638916)
Warning: ignored conflicting DISCNUMBER value 1 in file import_iTunes/Paul McCartney & Wings/Band On The Run [Disc 2]/09 Zoo Gang.aif

These are warning messages and would not cause any albums to be missing. Do you see any messages starting with 'Error:'?
15-10-2016, 18:40
No I don't.
But lots are missing. The minim watch icon goes yellow for about a minute when I press rescan but then goes back to transparent. The minim server icon has been yellow for over an hour.
Very frustrated as I don't really understand things on such a technical level. Guess I'll give up and stick with Twonky on the Melco.
(15-10-2016 18:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 18:06)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  Examples of messages found in log:

These are warning messages and would not cause any albums to be missing. Do you see any messages starting with 'Error:'?
15-10-2016, 19:44
(15-10-2016 18:40)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  No I don't.
But lots are missing. The minim watch icon goes yellow for about a minute when I press rescan but then goes back to transparent. The minim server icon has been yellow for over an hour.
Very frustrated as I don't really understand things on such a technical level. Guess I'll give up and stick with Twonky on the Melco.
(15-10-2016 18:15)simoncn Wrote:  

No error messages
15-10-2016, 19:51
(15-10-2016 17:45)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  Thank you for your reply. The minim watch icon is not in my applications folder.

It should be there if you have followed the installation instructions for MinimWatch in this section (step 2). If you are running MinimWatch from the launch icon in the .dmg file, this can cause problems in some cases.

Quote:There are two musical note icons at the top of the screen. One is red and one is black on a grey background.

If the foreground colour of the icon is red, this means you have launched MinimWatch twice. You should close the red icon by selecting Exit from its menu.

If the background of the other "grey" icon is the same as the colour of the menu bar, the icon has a transparent background and this means that MinimServer is running normally. A grey icon background shows as a darker shade of grey than the grey of the menu bar.

Quote:No erro messages but for example - when I search under Paul Simon as an artist I cannot see his Graceland album even though I know I have it.

This might be because the album is in a format that MinimServer doesn't support, such as .wma.

Another possibility is that MinimServer is unable to read the tags in the album files. In this case, you should be able to see the album under [untagged] and [folder view] in the MinimServer index.
15-10-2016, 19:53
(15-10-2016 19:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 17:45)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  Thank you for your reply. The minim watch icon is not in my applications folder.

It should be there if you have followed the installation instructions for MinimWatch in this section (step 2). If you are running MinimWatch from the launch icon in the .dmg file, this can cause problems in some cases.

Quote:There are two musical note icons at the top of the screen. One is red and one is black on a grey background.

If the foreground colour of the icon is red, this means you have launched MinimWatch twice. You should close the red icon by selecting Exit from its menu.

If the background of the other "grey" icon is the same as the colour of the menu bar, the icon has a transparent background and this means that MinimServer is running normally. A grey icon background shows as a darker shade of grey than the grey of the menu bar.

Quote:No erro messages but for example - when I search under Paul Simon as an artist I cannot see his Graceland album even though I know I have it.

This might be because the album is in a format that MinimServer doesn't support, such as .wma.

Another possibility is that MinimServer is unable to read the tags in the album files. In this case, you should be able to see the album under [untagged] and [folder view] in the MinimServer index.

Thanks. I will have a look. Is .wma a windows media file? I don't think I have any of those. My albums are mainly AIFF, FLAC, DSD and WAV with a few MPEG4s...
15-10-2016, 19:56
(15-10-2016 18:40)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote:  No I don't.

I don't understand what you mean by the "minim watch" icon and the "minim server" icon. You should only be seeing one minim icon in the menu bar of your Mac. I suggest you click Exit from both icons and then launch MinimWatch again.
Thread Closed