Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different output samplerates for different input samplerates?
27-11-2015, 12:49
Different output samplerates for different input samplerates?
Hi,

when transcoding my ALAC files, I would like to set different output samplerates for different input samplerates.

E.g.,
  • 44.1, 48 and 88.2 files transcoded to 24/96;
  • 96 and 176.4 files transcoded to 24/192;
  • 192 and above files left unchanged.

Is that possible with MinimStreamer?

Thanks in advance,
Roland
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2015, 13:10
RE: Different output samplerates for different input samplerates?
(27-11-2015 12:49)RolandG Wrote:  Hi,

when transcoding my ALAC files, I would like to set different output samplerates for different input samplerates.

E.g.,
  • 44.1, 48 and 88.2 files transcoded to 24/96;
  • 96 and 176.4 files transcoded to 24/192;
  • 192 and above files left unchanged.

Is that possible with MinimStreamer?

Thanks in advance,
Roland

This isn't possible at present. It might be supported in the future. However, this is really only useful when downsampling for player compatibility, not when upsampling. You won't get any better sound quality from a file by transcoding it to a higher sample rate.
17-06-2016, 14:26
Hello,

I'm transcoding al my files to wav;96. I do this because the dac makes little popping noises when the samplerate changes.

With flac:wav;96 setting a flac 192 file plays but suddenly starts making noises.

If I change the setting to flac:wav the flac192 files play well.

System: DS112-Aries Mini

Could it be the DS112 isn't up to the job of downsampling?

Greetings,
Jaap
17-06-2016, 16:59
MinimStreamer supports two different ways of transcoding FLAC to WAV. If you specify 'flac:wav', MinimStreamer performs transcoding using its own internal code and there is no resampling. If you specify 'flac:wav;96' or 'flac:wav;', MinimStreamer uses the external ffmpeg program to perform transcoding and resampling is available as an option.

The problem could be caused by the use of ffmpeg (unlikely) or it could be caused by downsampling requiring more CPU resource than your DS112 can provide. You can check for the latter by opening Resource Monitor in Synology DSM and looking at the CPU consumption while transcoding is taking place. If the CPU consumption hits 100% or is very close to this figure, this means the CPU in your DS112 isn't powerful enough to do downsampling and the only way to make this work would be to buy a more powerful NAS.
18-06-2016, 20:56
(17-06-2016 16:59)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer supports two different ways of transcoding FLAC to WAV. If you specify 'flac:wav', MinimStreamer performs transcoding using its own internal code and there is no resampling. If you specify 'flac:wav;96' or 'flac:wav;', MinimStreamer uses the external ffmpeg program to perform transcoding and resampling is available as an option.

That was news to me. Thanks for clarifying. Does this pertain only to FLAC or can MinimStreamer also transcode ALAC using its own code?
18-06-2016, 21:41
(18-06-2016 20:56)krutsch Wrote:  That was news to me. Thanks for clarifying. Does this pertain only to FLAC or can MinimStreamer also transcode ALAC using its own code?

This is only for FLAC as the input type and WAV, L16 or L24 as the output type.
12-09-2016, 00:51
(17-06-2016 16:59)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer supports two different ways of transcoding FLAC to WAV. If you specify 'flac:wav', MinimStreamer performs transcoding using its own internal code and there is no resampling. If you specify 'flac:wav;96' or 'flac:wav;', MinimStreamer uses the external ffmpeg program to perform transcoding and resampling is available as an option.

The problem could be caused by the use of ffmpeg (unlikely) or it could be caused by downsampling requiring more CPU resource than your DS112 can provide. You can check for the latter by opening Resource Monitor in Synology DSM and looking at the CPU consumption while transcoding is taking place. If the CPU consumption hits 100% or is very close to this figure, this means the CPU in your DS112 isn't powerful enough to do downsampling and the only way to make this work would be to buy a more powerful NAS.

Hi Simon, I'm new here. Just been catching up on reading before I posted my question and it seems you touch on my question here.

Regarding "If you specify 'flac:wav', MinimStreamer performs transcoding using its own internal code and there is no resampling. If you specify 'flac:wav;96' or 'flac:wav;', MinimStreamer uses the external ffmpeg program to perform transcoding and resampling is available as an option"

So if I want input (bit depth + sample rate) = output (bitdepth + sample rate)

but I want all my files to be transcoded to wav by minimserver,

eg: a 24/192 ALAC to be transcoded to a 24/192 WAV, should I use alac:wav ?

Another eg: a 24/96 ALAC to be transcoded 24/96 WAV, again alac:wav will do this?

Or do I need to use alac:wav24; ?

My only concern is I don't want a 16/48 ALAC to be transcoded to a 24/48 WAV if using alac:wav24; - i.e. I don't want any upsampling

Many thanks in advance :-)
12-09-2016, 08:51
The alac:wav setting transcodes ALAC to WAV using an external converter and preserves the same bit depth and sample rate as the original stream.