Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can stream radio content to one renderer but not the other…
10-03-2016, 12:29 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 12:31 by rich28.)
I can stream radio content to one renderer but not the other…
My setup comprises a synology NAS running Minimserver; a raspberry PI, fitted with the IQaudio DAC+; and a Libratone wireless speaker. Both the raspberry Pi and the Libratone are configured as UPnP renderers (beefed up with the support of BubbleUnP Server) and I use Linn Kazoo as the control point. I’m particularly impressed with Minimserver and as a non-audiophile blown away by the quality of playback on the Raspberry Pi.

However, I had difficulty in setting up MinimStreamer to stream radio content to the Libratone. In the end I got this working by assigning ‘ffmpeg’ to ‘stream.converter’ and ‘*:wav’ to ‘stream.transcode’, but using these settings no sound is produced when I attempt to play something like a BBC HLS stream to the Raspberry PI. Is it possible to configure MinimStreamer so that it supports streams to both of these devices?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 12:35
RE: I can stream radio content to one renderer but not the other…
(10-03-2016 12:29)rich28 Wrote:  My setup comprises a synology NAS running Minimserver; a raspberry PI, fitted with the IQaudio DAC+; and a Libratone wireless speaker. Both the raspberry Pi and the Libratone are configured as UPnP renderers (beefed up with the support of BubbleUnP Server) and I use Linn Kazoo as the control point. I’m particularly impressed with Minimserver and as a non-audiophile blown away by the quality of playback on the Raspberry Pi.

However, I had difficulty in setting up MinimStreamer to stream radio content to the Libratone. In the end I got this working by assigning ‘ffmpeg’ to ‘stream.converter’ and ‘*:wav’ to ‘stream.transcode’, but using these settings no sound is produced when I attempt to play something like a BBC HLS stream to the Raspberry PI. Is it possible to configure MinimStreamer so that it supports streams to both of these devices?

Which UPnP renderer (wrapped by BubbleUPnP Server) are you using on the Raspberry Pi?
10-03-2016, 13:17
(10-03-2016 12:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 12:29)rich28 Wrote:  My setup comprises a synology NAS running Minimserver; a raspberry PI, fitted with the IQaudio DAC+; and a Libratone wireless speaker. Both the raspberry Pi and the Libratone are configured as UPnP renderers (beefed up with the support of BubbleUnP Server) and I use Linn Kazoo as the control point. I’m particularly impressed with Minimserver and as a non-audiophile blown away by the quality of playback on the Raspberry Pi.

Which UPnP renderer (wrapped by BubbleUPnP Server) are you using on the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks v. much for your prompt reply. Both the Libratone and the Raspberry Pi are listed as UPnP renderers under the 'media renderers' tab on the BubbleUPnP Server app, and from here I've made them both into OpenHome UPnP renderers. Setup in this way seems to be superior for the Raspberry Pi UPnP as it's possible to select the gapless playback tick box, whereas this can't be done for the Libratone.
10-03-2016, 14:04
(10-03-2016 13:17)rich28 Wrote:  Thanks v. much for your prompt reply. Both the Libratone and the Raspberry Pi are listed as UPnP renderers under the 'media renderers' tab on the BubbleUPnP Server app, and from here I've made them both into OpenHome UPnP renderers. Setup in this way seems to be superior for the Raspberry Pi UPnP as it's possible to select the gapless playback tick box, whereas this can't be done for the Libratone.

If the Raspberry Pi is listed as a UPnP renderer by BubbleUPnP Server, you must be running some audio software on the Raspberry Pi that is enabling the UPnP renderer functionality. To help you solve this problem, I would need to know what this software is. Have you used a prebuilt image with preinstalled audio software for the Raspberry Pi or have you installed audio software on top of a standard OS image such as Raspbian?
10-03-2016, 17:20 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 17:30 by rich28.)
(10-03-2016 14:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 13:17)rich28 Wrote:  Thanks v. much for your prompt reply. Both the Libratone and the Raspberry Pi are listed as UPnP renderers under the 'media renderers' tab on the BubbleUPnP Server app, and from here I've made them both into OpenHome UPnP renderers. Setup in this way seems to be superior for the Raspberry Pi UPnP as it's possible to select the gapless playback tick box, whereas this can't be done for the Libratone.

If the Raspberry Pi is listed as a UPnP renderer by BubbleUPnP Server, you must be running some audio software on the Raspberry Pi that is enabling the UPnP renderer functionality. To help you solve this problem, I would need to know what this software is. Have you used a prebuilt image with preinstalled audio software for the Raspberry Pi or have you installed audio software on top of a standard OS image such as Raspbian?

Sorry not to mention earlier but I’ve installed Moode Audio (a prebuilt image) on my raspberry, which features UPnP renderering capabilities via upmpdcli – see: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/.
10-03-2016, 20:24
(10-03-2016 17:20)rich28 Wrote:  Sorry not to mention earlier but I’ve installed Moode Audio (a prebuilt image) on my raspberry, which features UPnP renderering capabilities via upmpdcli – see: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/.

Thanks! I've read the release notes for this. It seems to require a compatible I2S or USB DAC and I don't have anything in the compatibility list. Would it work (at low quality) with the built-in audio output of the Pi?
11-03-2016, 19:36
Hello Simon,

I am a new user of your Minim products and still finding my way around them.
I have Minim installed on a NAS215J and also using a Raspbery PI with an IQaudio DAC+ running Moode.

I thought I had it set up to stream the BBC HLS streams all ok but now it seems to have stopped working and I have spent hours trying to sort it.

But maybe I didn't have it working as your note to rich28 seem to imply that Minim will not work to the Raspbery PI with IQaudio DAC+ combination.

Is that right?
11-03-2016, 20:30
(11-03-2016 19:36)chrisjlm Wrote:  Hello Simon,

I am a new user of your Minim products and still finding my way around them.
I have Minim installed on a NAS215J and also using a Raspbery PI with an IQaudio DAC+ running Moode.

I thought I had it set up to stream the BBC HLS streams all ok but now it seems to have stopped working and I have spent hours trying to sort it.

But maybe I didn't have it working as your note to rich28 seem to imply that Minim will not work to the Raspbery PI with IQaudio DAC+ combination.

Is that right?

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

That isn't what I said to rich28. I would like to find out why HLS isn't working with MoodeAudio but I don't currently have an IQaudIO DAC+ to try this for myself. I have ordered an IQaudIO DAC+ and I am hoping to be able to try this in the next few days.
12-03-2016, 00:15
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

Previously I was using Rune Audio and could not get that to work either.

Thanks again.
12-03-2016, 12:21 (This post was last modified: 12-03-2016 12:23 by rich28.)
(10-03-2016 20:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 17:20)rich28 Wrote:  Sorry not to mention earlier but I’ve installed Moode Audio (a prebuilt image) on my raspberry, which features UPnP renderering capabilities via upmpdcli – see: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/.

Thanks! I've read the release notes for this. It seems to require a compatible I2S or USB DAC and I don't have anything in the compatibility list. Would it work (at low quality) with the built-in audio output of the Pi?

Ok, as yet I haven’t physically removed my IQAudio Dac+ from the raspberry but I have done a bit of testing. Firstly, I’ve installed a new Moode Audio image onto the SD card and only configured the software to act as a UPnP renderer (i.e. I haven’t configured it to recognise the DAC). The result: playback of local content (mp3s flacs etc) and radio streams that are NOT transcoded by Minimstreamer are heard via the raspberry’s headphone jack but not from any of the outputs on the DAC. However, no sound is heard from radio streams which are transcoded by Minimstreamer.

I’ve also gone through this test with PeteManchester’s OpenHome Media Player running on the Pi and the outcome is the same. In addition to this, I’ve just installed OpenHome’s Ohplayer on a PC running windows and the playback of radio streams that require transcoding by Minimstreamer is not an issue with this.

Starting to think this issue could be a shortcoming of my Raspberry Pi – I only have a version 2 pi…