Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic Jukebox?
14-01-2013, 12:17
Automatic Jukebox?
Hi Simon,
thank you so much for creating what is my favorite media server for music files Smile

I have a question regarding the operability with Linn DS:
It bothers me that on DS, you have no way to simply select music without a tablet / phone / PC at hand. I know this is by design, yet DS allows you to define a "Jukebox" that is accessible via the remote. Could you implement a feature in Minim so that it automatically creates / updates a Jukebox, say with all titles (Artist / Album or Composer) or just "recently added" to make a better use of the Linn feature? I've managed once to create such a Jukebox for a few titles on my Synology, but it is too troublesome for me.

Keep up the great work

Ulf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 12:53
RE: Automatic Jukebox?
(14-01-2013 12:17)uk75 Wrote:  Hi Simon,
thank you so much for creating what is my favorite media server for music files Smile

I have a question regarding the operability with Linn DS:
It bothers me that on DS, you have no way to simply select music without a tablet / phone / PC at hand. I know this is by design, yet DS allows you to define a "Jukebox" that is accessible via the remote. Could you implement a feature in Minim so that it automatically creates / updates a Jukebox, say with all titles (Artist / Album or Composer) or just "recently added" to make a better use of the Linn feature? I've managed once to create such a Jukebox for a few titles on my Synology, but it is too troublesome for me.

Keep up the great work

Ulf

I think you'd still need a control point of some kind (perhaps not a UPnP control point) to tell MinimServer which jukebox titles to load into the DS. Linn has produced such a control point (KinskyJukebox) and I don't think it would make sense to try to duplicate this functionality within MinimServer.
14-01-2013, 16:38
Hello Simon,
thanks for your reply.
KinskyJ is not a control point. It creates a list that a Linn DS loads at startup. You can then simply use # plus a digit to access a disc. It also works with the up/down navi on the remote, but I have not yet figured out what exactly this does. I was able to create a short list once, with classical composers. The search tree created by KinskyJ was Composersort-Album.
14-01-2013, 17:02
(14-01-2013 16:38)uk75 Wrote:  Hello Simon,
thanks for your reply.
KinskyJ is not a control point. It creates a list that a Linn DS loads at startup. You can then simply use # plus a digit to access a disc. It also works with the up/down navi on the remote, but I have not yet figured out what exactly this does. I was able to create a short list once, with classical composers. The search tree created by KinskyJ was Composersort-Album.

This is exactly what a control point does: create a list of tracks and load it into the Linn DS. I don't see any reason to duplicate this functionality in MinimServer.
27-02-2013, 22:00
Hi Simon,
in the meantime I've managed to get the Kinsky Jukebox up and running, and to learn how to use it. But it is a tedious process... Takes ages each time I want to update things.

The beauty of having minim create Jukebox presets would be that it could allow users of Linn DS to make a much better use of the - otherwise quite useless - remote: with Jukebox, you can actually browse grouped presets alphabetically, plus you can search using the 2-9 keys (ever wondered why there are characters on them?).

It is indeed quite convenient to be able to use the remote for that. Plus, Linn provided for a means to use fixed numbers for each playlist. So #748 will always be, say, your Igor Stravinsky playlist. Or #545 Gould's 1955 monaural Goldberg variations.

For me, it would be great to be able to have an - automatically updating - jukebox with groups like "Composersort" or "recently added albums". That would be priceless. Adding a new album and immediately playing it by just pressing "Enter", "up/down", "enter" on the remote a few times.

Do give the jukebox a try for yourself. It is not the best documented feature in Linn's portfolio, and they haven't worked on the windows client for quite some time, but once you get the hang of it, it really is a very intriguing alternative to using full-fledged control points.
28-02-2013, 10:07
Well, what you describe is exactly what Kinsky Jukebox does. So again, why do you want Simon to duplicate this?

I guess you will find that there are only a small handful of users actually using KinskyJB - so as Simon says no practical or commercial benefit to do the same again.
28-02-2013, 13:42
(28-02-2013 10:07)bbrip Wrote:  Well, what you describe is exactly what Kinsky Jukebox does. So again, why do you want Simon to duplicate this?
Because the Linn program is tedious, and you have to start it over and over again to add new recordings. Minim "just runs" on my NAS and it could do it occasionally / when restarting.
I'd gladly donate again if this feature made it into a future version of minim. Heart
03-03-2013, 01:13 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 01:28 by wappinghigh.)
I use Control4 and the Extravegetable's Linn driver.

This allows me to control the Linn DS and my music library via MinimServer anywhere I can access into Control4. Be it ipad, iphone, android app, onscreen TV, C4 touchscreen or via their intuitive SR250 wireless remote. From anywhere in the house.

It completely bypasses all the Linn control software you seem so concerned about. Kinsky. The IR remote. Everything.

q/ What's Control4? a/ A network based home automation product

q/ Is it expensive.? a/ well kind of. But a basic controller can be purchased for a couple of hundred bucks..and allows you to control your entire TV/Audio equipment

q/ What's extravegetables? a/ They are a UK based software house that writes drivers for the Control4 setup. They also have a driver for itunes and Sonos .. Smile

q/ What's this specific "driver" do? a/ It serves up MinimServer (and therefore the library on your NAS) as a upnp control point into the Control4 platform. It also selects all the right inputs and allows volume control of the Linn DS

q/ Why have I posted this? a/This is the ultimate Linn "juke box" and sure is cool. It doesn't rely on IR control. Or any Linn program. And is an awesome use of MinimServer Smile

Cheers
03-03-2013, 08:15
(03-03-2013 01:13)wappinghigh Wrote:  q/ Why have I posted this? a/This is the ultimate Linn "juke box" and sure is cool. It doesn't rely on IR control. Or any Linn program. And is an awesome use of MinimServer Smile

Your setup does sound very cool!

You've explained very clearly why MinimServer shouldn't attempt to provide this kind of capability itself. Servers should do the serving, and controllers should do the controlling. Smile
03-03-2013, 10:23 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 10:30 by uk75.)
Thumbs Down RE: Automatic Jukebox?
Ok, close this thread. You just don't get it.

I *do* want to use the remote control plus my linn's front display to browse my favorite music sometimes. If you haven't tested and understood that feature, fine, but just don't argue with me then. Dodgy If minim does only the serving, why on earth does it provide a menu structure for the control points? I was simply asking to optionally create that menu structure so it could be accessed with the remote.