Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer going offline
23-04-2015, 22:18
RE: MinimServer going offline
(21-04-2015 20:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 12:23)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  The TP-link switch supports IGMP snooping http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?model=TL-SG105.
If I understand correctly IMGP snooping must be disabled in router settings, so if a switch is added which automatically supports IGMP snooping this might as well be the cause of the problem?
I will leave the switch out for a while and see if the problem stops occurring.

Peter.

It looks like this switch doesn't allow IGMP snooping to be disabled. This is likely to be the reason for the problem.
I left out the TP-link switch for a while resulting in non going offline till so far.
Today I added a Netgear proSAFE GS105 switch.
So far so good, problem seems to solved.
Simon thanks for your support!

Peter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 08:03
From the screenshot it appears that you have an Asus router. I also have one (DSL-AC68U) and have a similar issue with MinimServer dropping off the network.

I did try an alternative DLNA server and the internal server in the router and had the same issue, so I don't think this is a MinimServer problem. I'm beginning to suspect that there's something in the way Asus routers handle multicasts.

Alan

(20-04-2015 11:30)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 22:53)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 22:20)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Can this problem be caused by using a switch (TP-link TL-SG105) between my router (ASUS RT-N66U) and my PC?

Using a switch shouldn't cause any problems. Does your router have a setting to enable or disable multicast or IGMP snooping? Is anything else happening just before the problem occurs (such as the PC coming out of standby)? Are all your connections between router, switch and PC via Ethernet cables or are there any mains wiring adapters involved?
My router has a setting for IGMP snooping, at this moment it is disabled
Nothing to my knowledge is happening before the problem occurs.
All connections are via Cat 6 Ethernet cables, no other adapters involved.
WiFi is achieved by using 3 Unifi long-range 2.4GHz access points (using Zero-Handoff Roaming setting) Wireless Radio by router is disabled.
I have been using this router for 2 years now,the only setting being changed: disable WiFi.
The access point are in use for about 5 months.
Strangely the offline problems now occurring I can only relate to the extra switch I use, playing around with some Raspberry Pi's (Volumio,RuneAudio,XBMC,Lumin, etc.)

Quote:What about the initial thread (Minim offline, XBMC not finding Minim,problems with rescan, icon not turning yellow)?

Peter.

All these symptoms are consistent with a network problem except for the rescan (presumably from the same PC) not turning the icon yellow. It appears that the rescan problem is not reproducible so it can't be debugged further at the moment.
[/quote]
19-05-2015, 21:36
(10-05-2015 08:03)the_bat Wrote:  From the screenshot it appears that you have an Asus router. I also have one (DSL-AC68U) and have a similar issue with MinimServer dropping off the network.

I did try an alternative DLNA server and the internal server in the router and had the same issue, so I don't think this is a MinimServer problem. I'm beginning to suspect that there's something in the way Asus routers handle multicasts.

Alan

In my case the problem is solved by changing the switch.
It may be your router, but I don't think if the brand is the same it will state all models have the same properties.
Probably not all TP-link switches will cause problems, but mine did, simply because it supported IGMP snooping.

Peter

(19-04-2015 22:20)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Can this problem be caused by using a switch (TP-link TL-SG105) between my router (ASUS RT-N66U) and my PC?

Using a switch shouldn't cause any problems. Does your router have a setting to enable or disable multicast or IGMP snooping? Is anything else happening just before the problem occurs (such as the PC coming out of standby)? Are all your connections between router, switch and PC via Ethernet cables or are there any mains wiring adapters involved?
WiFi is achieved by using 3 Unifi long-range 2.4GHz access points (using Zero-Handoff Roaming setting) Wireless Radio by router is disabled.
I have been using this router for 2 years now,the only setting being changed: disable WiFi.
Strangely the offline problems now occurring I can only relate to the extra switch I use, playing around with some Raspberry Pi's (Volumio,RuneAudio,XBMC,Lumin, etc.)

Quote:What about the initial thread (Minim offline, XBMC not finding Minim,problems with rescan, icon not turning yellow)?

Peter.

All these symptoms are consistent with a network problem except for the rescan (presumably from the same PC) not turning the icon yellow. It appears that the rescan problem is not reproducible so it can't be debugged further at the moment.
[/quote]
12-12-2015, 14:14
(19-05-2015 21:36)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 08:03)the_bat Wrote:  From the screenshot it appears that you have an Asus router. I also have one (DSL-AC68U) and have a similar issue with MinimServer dropping off the network.

Alan

In my case the problem is solved by changing the switch.
It may be your router, but I don't think if the brand is the same it will state all models have the same properties.
Probably not all TP-link switches will cause problems, but mine did, simply because it supported IGMP snooping.

Peter

Peter.

[/quote]
Hi Simon,

This week MinimServer (Peter PC) went offline several times.
Initially I suspected a firewall problem because Minim started immediately after disabling Windows Firewall, later on it went offline even with Firewall disabled.
For some reason MinimServer stops on my Windows 7 PC and this seems not to be a network problem as I can play music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to my network. I have tried this today and the music stopped playing while the MinimWatch icon says "Minim Peter PC is running".
XBMC can at this moment "see" Minim but does not load any files!
If connected to my network:(Minim icon Peter PC green and running)
1) sometimes XBMC can not find Minim at all.
2) sometimes XBMC does find Minim but does not load any files.
3) sometimes Cambridge Connect does not find MinimServer Peter PC

.txt  minim does not react.txt (Size: 10.93 KB / Downloads: 7)
.txt  minim does not react.2.txt (Size: 8.27 KB / Downloads: 3)

Peter
12-12-2015, 20:31
(12-12-2015 14:14)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Initially I suspected a firewall problem because Minim started immediately after disabling Windows Firewall, later on it went offline even with Firewall disabled.
For some reason MinimServer stops on my Windows 7 PC and this seems not to be a network problem as I can play music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to my network. I have tried this today and the music stopped playing while the MinimWatch icon says "Minim Peter PC is running".

Peter

This sounds like a network problem.

Why do you think "this seems not to be a network problem" because "I can play music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to my network"? How are you playing music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to your network? Which machine is running XBMC? A full description of your setup would be very helpful.
12-12-2015, 23:57
(12-12-2015 20:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 14:14)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Peter

This sounds like a network problem.

Why do you think "this seems not to be a network problem" because "I can play music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to my network"? How are you playing music with XBMC/Minim without being connected to your network? Which machine is running XBMC? A full description of your setup would be very helpful.
MinimServer,MinimWatch and XBMC are installed on "Peter PC" (study room) music files are located on the E drive from the same PC.
I always copy/rip files to this PC for testing/tagging etc. and then copy these files to my NAS.
My NAS and Streamer are wired connected with a ASUS RT-66NU router.
PC is wired connected with the router via a Netgear prosafe GS 105 switch.
WiFi is achieved by using 3 Unify long range access points
Normally the PC is connected to the network.
This afternoon I have been testing without connection in order to find out XBMC having problems communicating with MinimServer.
13-12-2015, 11:07
(12-12-2015 23:57)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  MinimServer,MinimWatch and XBMC are installed on "Peter PC" (study room) music files are located on the E drive from the same PC.
I always copy/rip files to this PC for testing/tagging etc. and then copy these files to my NAS.
This afternoon I have been testing without connection in order to find out XBMC having problems communicating with MinimServer.

MinimServer can use using two different subnets to communicate with XBMC when both are running on the same PC. These are the local subnet 127.0.0.0 and the normal network subnet. If XBMC and MinimServer are communicating OK when the PC isn't connected to a network, this communication is via the local subnet.

I am still not clear what is working and what isn't working in your setup. Is everything working when the PC is not connected to the network? What is the setup that isn't working correctly?
13-12-2015, 12:48
(13-12-2015 11:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 23:57)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  MinimServer,MinimWatch and XBMC are installed on "Peter PC" (study room) music files are located on the E drive from the same PC.

MinimServer can use using two different subnets to communicate with XBMC when both are running on the same PC. These are the local subnet 127.0.0.0 and the normal network subnet. If XBMC and MinimServer are communicating OK when the PC isn't connected to a network, this communication is via the local subnet.

I am still not clear what is working and what isn't working in your setup. Is everything working when the PC is not connected to the network? What is the setup that isn't working correctly?
No,when the PC is not connected to the network occasionally the music stops playing (next track not loading).
When using the backwards button in XBMC you can see something is loading but in fact nothing does happen (screenshots lower right).
Unfortunately I do not have (yet) screenshots/logs using the PC not connected.
Is there any useful information in the logs I attached?

Peter.
13-12-2015, 16:04
(13-12-2015 12:48)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  No,when the PC is not connected to the network occasionally the music stops playing (next track not loading).

When using the backwards button in XBMC you can see something is loading but in fact nothing does happen (screenshots lower right).

Peter.

OK, from this I think you are saying that everything is working when the network is connected but you are having occasional problems when the network is not connected. If this isn't correct, please clarify.

The logs that you attached show some browsing activity using the local subnet. They don't show any successful or unsuccessful attempts to play music.
13-12-2015, 18:31
(13-12-2015 16:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 12:48)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  No,when the PC is not connected to the network occasionally the music stops playing (next track not loading).

Peter.

OK, from this I think you are saying that everything is working when the network is connected but you are having occasional problems when the network is not connected. If this isn't correct, please clarify.

The logs that you attached show some browsing activity using the local subnet. They don't show any successful or unsuccessful attempts to play music.

I am sorry I was not very clear about this.
The answer is :no.
I occasional have problems connecting with "Peter PC" (using controlpoint and streamer in my living room) and never problems connecting with my NAS.
Since I noticed that XBMC also has also problems with finding files on the local (Peter PC), even without being connected to my network, I concluded (this might be wrong ,I am not the expert!!) that something might be out of tune on this local PC and noting is wrong with my network.
When I am having problems finding "Peter PC" in the living room, XBMC at the same time is having problems loading files from this local PC.
The NAS is accessible without issues on both PC (XBMC) as controlpoint at the same time.

Peter.