Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Albums are not detected
30-11-2015, 09:27
Some Albums are not detected
I use minim server for some weeks now and I am really happy with it. Today I realized, that about 30 albums (from over 600) are not detected by minim server. If I use my old server software (asset upnp), I see all of my albums. What could I do to see all albums in minim server?
Thank you,
Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2015, 10:36
RE: Some Albums are not detected
(30-11-2015 09:27)Lohengrin123 Wrote:  I use minim server for some weeks now and I am really happy with it. Today I realized, that about 30 albums (from over 600) are not detected by minim server. If I use my old server software (asset upnp), I see all of my albums. What could I do to see all albums in minim server?
Thank you,
Michael

You should start by looking at the MinimServer log for error messages. If you are running MinimServer on a NAS, you need to install MinimWatch on another computer on your local network to view the log. Do you see error messages for the missing albums?
30-11-2015, 19:59
I just opened the log file (minim server is running on my Mac Mini with the iTunes music folder as source) and here I see many of the following errors:
Error: unexpected end of file at offset (number with 8 digits) in file XY
?
Michael
30-11-2015, 23:00
(30-11-2015 19:59)Lohengrin123 Wrote:  I just opened the log file (minim server is running on my Mac Mini with the iTunes music folder as source) and here I see many of the following errors:
Error: unexpected end of file at offset (number with 8 digits) in file XY
?
Michael

There was a bug in some older versions of JRiver that caused files to be written in an incorrect format. This is the usual reason for these messages. To fix these files, you can run them through a file converter such as XLD.
01-12-2015, 07:50
All files are already converted with XLD, I never used iTunes or JRiver for ripping. I will try, to do it again with these files...but why can I see all my albums with assetupnp?

Thank you very much...
Michael
01-12-2015, 09:55 (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 09:56 by simoncn.)
(01-12-2015 07:50)Lohengrin123 Wrote:  All files are already converted with XLD, I never used iTunes or JRiver for ripping. I will try, to do it again with these files...but why can I see all my albums with assetupnp?

Thank you very much...
Michael

I believe Asset UPnP is less strict about the file format specification than MinimServer.

Can you post the exact error messages that you are seeing? This would be helpful for understanding exactly what is causing the problem.

What program did you use to rip these files?
01-12-2015, 18:42
Now the problem is solved. I converted the files again with XLD and now I can see all the files.
The problem is that I always use XLD for ripping and I do it the same way for many years..
Thank you for your help!
Michael
(01-12-2015 09:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 07:50)Lohengrin123 Wrote:  All files are already converted with XLD, I never used iTunes or JRiver for ripping. I will try, to do it again with these files...but why can I see all my albums with assetupnp?

Thank you very much...
Michael

I believe Asset UPnP is less strict about the file format specification than MinimServer.

Can you post the exact error messages that you are seeing? This would be helpful for understanding exactly what is causing the problem.

What program did you use to rip these files?
06-04-2016, 19:55
I have the same issue here. Several of my albums are ignored by MinimServer, with that error. It'd be really lame if I had to re-rip everything, specially since all the files are on the network...

Would it be possible to be less strict when parsing the media files, perhaps with an optional -strict switch?

Thanks,
Alex
06-04-2016, 21:02
(06-04-2016 19:55)asiufy Wrote:  I have the same issue here. Several of my albums are ignored by MinimServer, with that error. It'd be really lame if I had to re-rip everything, specially since all the files are on the network...

Would it be possible to be less strict when parsing the media files, perhaps with an optional -strict switch?

Thanks,
Alex

You don't need to rerip the bad files, just run them through a converter program that is able to correct the format error.

MinimServer is intentionally strict about following applicable standards and specifications. This ensures reliable operation and interoperability with other programs. Also, one of my goals for MinimServer is to ensure that it will not fail when presented with a faulty file. If the structure of a file is corrupt, guessing which item of structural information is incorrect might be a wrong guess and could cause MinimServer to fail in unpredictable ways.
06-04-2016, 23:17
Simon,

Running the converter program means doing AIFF->AIFF over the network, which would be very slow.

I'm sorry, I know it's your software, but I don't find this a "feature". I've played these same files with just about everything else, and they're perfect. I don't find MinimServer to be more or less stable than other software. As I said, perhaps a switch to turn off "strict mode" would do the trick, but it seems that's not something you'd consider...

As it is, I'm going to have to simply dump MinimServer, as I'm not going to convert 1000s of albums just because.

thanks,
alex