Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Minim read Naim server's metadata files?
22-07-2015, 22:49
Can Minim read Naim server's metadata files?
Hi,

I just registered because I am interested in Minim, because I am looking for a replacement for the Naim UnitiServe which I have used to rip my collection, but since I don't have it any more I hope to find a solution which can run on my Synology DS213J and which can read Naim's metadata file.

In a Naim server tracks are normally ripped to WAV and because WAVs can't carry much metadata, there is a separate file created in each album folder to contain the meta data.

I could of course convert everything to FLAC, but that will be very time consuming, so I would prefer to find a server which can read a Naim ripped collection and it's metadata.

Does anyone here have any experience in this? Will Minim be able to display my Naim ripped collection's meta data?

Thanks in advance.

Carl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2015, 23:06
RE: Can Minim read Naim server's metadata files?
(22-07-2015 22:49)Carl Wrote:  Hi,

I just registered because I am interested in Minim, because I am looking for a replacement for the Naim UnitiServe which I have used to rip my collection, but since I don't have it any more I hope to find a solution which can run on my Synology DS213J and which can read Naim's metadata file.

In a Naim server tracks are normally ripped to WAV and because WAVs can't carry much metadata, there is a separate file created in each album folder to contain the meta data.

I could of course convert everything to FLAC, but that will be very time consuming, so I would prefer to find a server which can read a Naim ripped collection and it's metadata.

Does anyone here have any experience in this? Will Minim be able to display my Naim ripped collection's meta data?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

As I understand it, the Naim WAV metadata is in a nonstandard format that no other servers (including MinimServer) can read.
22-07-2015, 23:39
(22-07-2015 23:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 22:49)Carl Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Carl

As I understand it, the Naim WAV metadata is in a nonstandard format that no other servers (including MinimServer) can read.

No, I am under the impression that other servers can read it, but I don't know which. I can post an example if it is useful.

/Carl
22-07-2015, 23:47 (This post was last modified: 23-07-2015 10:30 by Carl.)
Edit: I have deleted the long post consisting of just metadata file information to shorten this thread.
23-07-2015, 08:22
(22-07-2015 23:47)Carl Wrote:  In the album folder there are four additional files:

amginfo.xml
AMGReport.log
cddbinfo.txt
folder.jpg (which contains cover art)

Thanks for this information. The metadata appears to be in the amginfo.xml file. The XML data within this file is in a proprietary format that does not conform to any standard metadata specification. I don't have any plans to add support for this proprietary metadata format to MinimServer.
23-07-2015, 10:58
Thanks.

I am still interested in Minim. (A big part of my collection is in FLAC.)

Can Minim navigate in a WAV collection, where the files are organized in artist folders containing album folders? Or will Minim present this WAV files as "unknown/unknown", because WAVs can't carry metadata? Or do I need to use folder browsing to navigate WAVs like in many other UPnP servers?

Thanks.

/Carl
23-07-2015, 19:12
(23-07-2015 10:58)Carl Wrote:  Thanks.

I am still interested in Minim. (A big part of my collection is in FLAC.)

Can Minim navigate in a WAV collection, where the files are organized in artist folders containing album folders? Or will Minim present this WAV files as "unknown/unknown", because WAVs can't carry metadata? Or do I need to use folder browsing to navigate WAVs like in many other UPnP servers?

Thanks.

/Carl

MinimServer doesn't attach any significance to folder names except in folder view. You have two options:

1) Use folder view

2) Add ID3 tags for Artist and Album to the WAV files using a tagging program that supports ID3 tags in WAV files. This isn't part of the official WAV specification but it is fairly widely supported by a number of servers and tagging programs.
25-07-2015, 23:35
Thanks. Do you know of any suitable tagging program for Mac which supports ID3 tagging of WAV files?
26-07-2015, 09:41
(25-07-2015 23:35)Carl Wrote:  Thanks. Do you know of any suitable tagging program for Mac which supports ID3 tagging of WAV files?

Metadatics is very good and includes this support.
26-07-2015, 15:12
Thanks! Smile I will try it.