Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors on first scan
16-06-2015, 23:21
Errors on first scan
I'm a total newbie to this so bear with me!

I installed MininServer, and it set to on the frist run. Every album seems to have an error e.g.:

"MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Language setting is 'eng'
starting MinimServer[Paul-PC]
Error: playlist 1999 AFCM Ensemble/Piano Quintet, String Trio/1999 AFCM Ensemble - Piano Quintet, String Trio.m3u8: unknown file #EXTM3U"

After this entry I think all my stored albums get the same message.

I have looked up the #extm3u term and it is a comment in a playlist, so why does it get flagged as an error?
Thanks, Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2015, 09:08
RE: Errors on first scan
(16-06-2015 23:21)FinstallPark Wrote:  I'm a total newbie to this so bear with me!

I installed MininServer, and it set to on the frist run. Every album seems to have an error e.g.:

"MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Error: playlist 1999 AFCM Ensemble/Piano Quintet, String Trio/1999 AFCM Ensemble - Piano Quintet, String Trio.m3u8: unknown file #EXTM3U"

I have looked up the #extm3u term and it is a comment in a playlist, so why does it get flagged as an error?
Thanks, Paul

Is there a space before the #EXTM3U? The # sign indicating a comment needs to be the first character on the line.
17-06-2015, 09:34
(17-06-2015 09:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 23:21)FinstallPark Wrote:  I'm a total newbie to this so bear with me!

Thanks, Paul

Is there a space before the #EXTM3U? The # sign indicating a comment needs to be the first character on the line.

I've looked at the file in Notepad and there appear to be no spaces. I'll try to attach that file. Ah, it won't let me attach that type of file. (m3u8)

Paul
17-06-2015, 10:01
(17-06-2015 09:34)FinstallPark Wrote:  I've looked at the file in Notepad and there appear to be no spaces. I'll try to attach that file. Ah, it won't let me attach that type of file. (m3u8)

Paul

Please zip it and attach the zipped file.
17-06-2015, 11:11
(17-06-2015 10:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 09:34)FinstallPark Wrote:  I've looked at the file in Notepad and there appear to be no spaces. I'll try to attach that file. Ah, it won't let me attach that type of file. (m3u8)

Paul

Please zip it and attach the zipped file.

OK, here it is (or should be!)

Paul

Attached File(s)
.zip  P m3u8.zip (Size: 524 bytes / Downloads: 3)
18-06-2015, 09:57
(17-06-2015 11:11)FinstallPark Wrote:  OK, here it is (or should be!)

Paul

Thanks very much!

This file starts with the byte sequence 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF which represents the Unicode byte-order mark (BOM) in UTF-8 encoding (see this page). This byte sequence is legal (but not required) at the start of a UTF-8 file. When you save a file in UTF-8 format using Notepad, Notepad automatically inserts this byte sequence at the start of the file. Notepad doesn't display the BOM when you are editing the file and this is why you didn't see it whe you viewed the file in Notepad.

MinimServer isn't allowing for a BOM to appear at the start of a .m3u8 playlist file, so it is treating the # in #EXTM3U as the second character of the first line (with the BOM as the first character).

The next MinimServer update will detect and ignore a BOM at the start of a .m3u8 file. Thank you for letting me know about this problem.
18-06-2015, 12:00
(18-06-2015 09:57)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 11:11)FinstallPark Wrote:  OK, here it is (or should be!)

Paul

Thanks very much!

This file starts with the byte sequence 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF which represents the Unicode byte-order mark (BOM) in UTF-8 encoding (see this page). This byte sequence is legal (but not required) at the start of a UTF-8 file. When you save a file in UTF-8 format using Notepad, Notepad automatically inserts this byte sequence at the start of the file. Notepad doesn't display the BOM when you are editing the file and this is why you didn't see it whe you viewed the file in Notepad.

MinimServer isn't allowing for a BOM to appear at the start of a .m3u8 playlist file, so it is treating the # in #EXTM3U as the second character of the first line (with the BOM as the first character).

The next MinimServer update will detect and ignore a BOM at the start of a .m3u8 file. Thank you for letting me know about this problem.
=====
Thanks for that. The playlist files are generated by the ripping program, and I haven't edited them at all. I only used Notepad to see what was in the file I sent.
I use EAC and then run the rips through a FLAC converter. In the EAC Options/Tools menu there is a check box for "create '.m3u' playlist on extraction", with two further check boxes 'write m3u playlist with extended info' and 'write m3u playlist as UTF8 file (compatible e.g.with Winamp)'.
I have all three boxes checked. Should I uncheck the UTF8 box?

Thanks for your very knowledgable help!

Paul
18-06-2015, 12:34
(18-06-2015 12:00)FinstallPark Wrote:  Thanks for that. The playlist files are generated by the ripping program, and I haven't edited them at all. I only used Notepad to see what was in the file I sent.
I use EAC and then run the rips through a FLAC converter. In the EAC Options/Tools menu there is a check box for "create '.m3u' playlist on extraction", with two further check boxes 'write m3u playlist with extended info' and 'write m3u playlist as UTF8 file (compatible e.g.with Winamp)'.

Paul

Do you actually want/use these .m3u8 playlists? If not, you can uncheck "create '.m3u' playlist on extraction".
18-06-2015, 13:18
(18-06-2015 12:34)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 12:00)FinstallPark Wrote:  Thanks for that. The playlist files are generated by the ripping program, and I haven't edited them at all. I only used Notepad to see what was in the file I sent.

Paul

Do you actually want/use these .m3u8 playlists? If not, you can uncheck "create '.m3u' playlist on extraction".
=========
I'm not sure! My aim is to rip my CD collection to FLAC files and play it either on a portable player or direct from the computer. I've no idea whether playlists for each album have any part to play in those processes.

Deleting all the .msu8 files would no doubt cleat the Minimserver errors!

Paul
18-06-2015, 13:19
Should have read:
Deleting all the .m3u8 files would no doubt clear the Minimserver errors!

Paul