Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot open a status webpage to add content - Synology
15-06-2015, 09:46
Cannot open a status webpage to add content - Synology
Would someone please assist me with a MinimServer new install on Synology DS211j (DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2). My PC OS is Win7 64bit.

I am unable to open status webpage to add "content".

This is the MinimServer.log:

MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_33-b05)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 25.33-b05, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Language setting is 'def'
starting MinimServer[DiskStation]
MinimServer: no content directory selected
MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'restart' or 'exit'

When navigating to "File Station" the Synology it displays this alert:
"File Station
Please install the latest Java suited for your operating system."

In troubleshooting my initial install I discovered I had gone through all the steps to this point without changing the filename of "ejdk-8u33-fcs-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz" back to "tar.gz" from the ".gz" extension Chrome had changed when downloading to windows. So I changed the file extension to "tar.gz" on the original download in Windows, removed the initial file I had uploaded to the "public" folder and uploaded again with the corrected filename "ejdk-8u33-fcs-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz".

Then I uninstalled MinimServer, which by the way did not remove the MinimServer folder in File Station the initial install had created. I uninstalled "Java SE Embedded 8", but could not find a way to remove the package from the community package window to start from scratch.

I rebooted the DS211j, re-installed the Java SE Embedded 8", but with the same result, I could not open a webpage with 192.168.1.9:9790 , where '9' is the static IP address of the DS211j on my LAN.

In reading this webpage
http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2011/08/23/jav...-synology/
it wasn't clear to me if I should have installed "Java SE Embedded 7" instead of "8", so I uninstalled "8", rebooted and when trying to install version 7, got this response:
"Failed to install "Java SE Embedded 7.,.. was expecting the file /volume1/public/ejre-7u75-fcs-b13-linux-arm-sflt-headless-18_dec_2014.tar.gz. Please agree to the Oracle licence at http://tinyurl.com/javaembed, then download the 'ARMv5 Linux - Headless EABI, SoftFP ABI, Little Endian' package and place it in the 'public' shared folder on your NAS."

So I replaced the file in the public folder with the "18_dec_2014" correct file for Java SE Embedded 7, installed Embedded 7, rebooted, but got the same alert as before in File Station "Please install the latest Java suited for your operating system." Still unable to navigate to the status webpage when clicking on MinimServer from the main menu.
http://192.168.1.9:9790/ "this webpage is not available."

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2015, 11:16
RE: Cannot open a status webpage to add content - Synology
(15-06-2015 09:46)rayge Wrote:  So I replaced the file in the public folder with the "18_dec_2014" correct file for Java SE Embedded 7, installed Embedded 7, rebooted, but got the same alert as before in File Station "Please install the latest Java suited for your operating system." Still unable to navigate to the status webpage when clicking on MinimServer from the main menu.

The message from File Station relates to the Java installed on the computer running your web browser, not the Java installed on the Synology. It's very unfortunate that this message isn't clearer and as a result you have done a lot of unnecessary extra work reinstalling Java on the Synology.

The output from the MinimServer log at the start of your post shows that you have a compatible version of Java installed on the Synology and that MinimServer is running. Are you still getting similar output in the MinimServer log now?

If you are getting this output in the log, I'm not sure why you can't open the status web page. Does MinimServer show as running in Package Center?
15-06-2015, 11:41 (This post was last modified: 15-06-2015 11:59 by rayge.)
(15-06-2015 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 09:46)rayge Wrote:  So I replaced the file in the public folder with the "18_dec_2014" correct file for Java SE Embedded 7, installed Embedded 7, rebooted, but got the same alert as before in File Station "Please install the latest Java suited for your operating system." Still unable to navigate to the status webpage when clicking on MinimServer from the main menu.

The message from File Station relates to the Java installed on the computer running your web browser, not the Java installed on the Synology. It's very unfortunate that this message isn't clearer and as a result you have done a lot of unnecessary extra work reinstalling Java on the Synology.

The output from the MinimServer log at the start of your post shows that you have a compatible version of Java installed on the Synology and that MinimServer is running. Are you still getting similar output in the MinimServer log now?

If you are getting this output in the log, I'm not sure why you can't open the status web page. Does MinimServer show as running in Package Center?

Thank you for your help.

MinimServer status was "stopped". I started it and now it is running agan.
This is the current log:
MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_75-b13)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)
Language setting is 'enu'

Do you think the inability to display the status page is due to the version of Java on my computer?
Since it is a 64-bit OS, when I installed and ran MinimWatch I got the error "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib\ohNet.dll: Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform"

I followed the instructions on this page:
http://minimserver.com/install-windows-mwatch.html

downloaded
MinimWatch-0.8.3b-install-x64.exe (for 64-bit Windows)

and installed from here
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/j...33155.html
this file
jre-8u45-windows-x64.exe

But before I installed the above file, I uninstalled the two Java programs already present in my Programs and Features Windows control panel. The only instance of Java installed is currenty "Java 7 Update 80 (64-bit) in my Windows 7 OS.

edit, I don't know why the log states "MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'restart' or 'exit' " while the package center states MinimServer is "running".

2n'd edit:

just rebooted Synology again:
Package Center states MinimServer running and Java SE Embedded 7 (1.7.0_75-0031) running.
Java version installed on Windows is
Standard Edition Version 7 Update 80 (build 1.7.0_80-b15)

Log still shows MinimServer stopped

15-06-2015, 12:18 (This post was last modified: 15-06-2015 12:20 by simoncn.)
(15-06-2015 11:41)rayge Wrote:  Thank you for your help.

This is the current log:

This is normal. It means that the "media server" component of MinimServer is stopped but the "network server" component is still running.

Quote:Do you think the inability to display the status page is due to the version of Java on my computer?
Since it is a 64-bit OS, when I installed and ran MinimWatch I got the error "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib\ohNet.dll: Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform"

downloaded

and installed from here
this file
jre-8u45-windows-x64.exe

But before I installed the above file, I uninstalled the two Java programs already present in my Programs and Features Windows control panel. The only instance of Java installed is currenty "Java 7 Update 80 (64-bit) in my Windows 7 OS.

The version of Java and/or MinimWatch on your computer does not affect whether or not your web browser can display the Synology MinimServer web status page.

Quote:edit, I don't know why the log states "MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'restart' or 'exit' " while the package center states MinimServer is "running".

This message is slightly confusing. It means that the "media server" component of MinimServer is stopped but the "network server" component is still running. When MinimServer is in this state, it is possible to display the web status page.

Quote:2n'd edit:

Package Center states MinimServer running and Java SE Embedded 7 (1.7.0_75-0031) running.

See above. This log output is normal.

Is it possible that the IP address (192.168.1.9) for the status web page is incorrect? What is the IP adddress of your PC that is running the web browser? Another possibility is that outbound connections from your PC to port 9790 on the Synology are being blocked by you PC firewall.
15-06-2015, 14:15
(15-06-2015 12:18)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 11:41)rayge Wrote:  Thank you for your help.

This is the current log:

This is normal. It means that the "media server" component of MinimServer is stopped but the "network server" component is still running.

Quote:Do you think the inability to display the status page is due to the version of Java on my computer?

downloaded

and installed from here
this file
jre-8u45-windows-x64.exe

The version of Java and/or MinimWatch on your computer does not affect whether or not your web browser can display the Synology MinimServer web status page.

Quote:edit, I don't know why the log states "MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'restart' or 'exit' " while the package center states MinimServer is "running".

This message is slightly confusing. It means that the "media server" component of MinimServer is stopped but the "network server" component is still running. When MinimServer is in this state, it is possible to display the web status page.

Quote:2n'd edit:

See above. This log output is normal.

Is it possible that the IP address (192.168.1.9) for the status web page is incorrect? What is the IP adddress of your PC that is running the web browser? Another possibility is that outbound connections from your PC to port 9790 on the Synology are being blocked by you PC firewall.

192.168.1.9 is the IP address reported by Synology Control Panel's Info Network page and the wired IP address assigned to it according to my Netgear R7000 router. I also configured port forwarding to add 9790 TCP/UDP to 192.168.1.9 (although I don't really know what I'm doing, or if that's necessary).

The address of my wireless laptop is:
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.7
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (same subnet).

I'm not sure what to look for in my windows firewall settings. I opened up "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", clicked on "Outbound Rules" and sorted the Local and Remote Ports columns and 9790 was not listed. I turned off Windows Firewall for local and public networks, clicked on MinimServer again from the Main Menu which opened up the 192.168.1.9:9790 webpage again and still got "This webpage is not available."
15-06-2015, 14:31
(15-06-2015 14:15)rayge Wrote:  192.168.1.9 is the IP address reported by Synology Control Panel's Info Network page and the wired IP address assigned to it according to my Netgear R7000 router. I also configured port forwarding to add 9790 TCP/UDP to 192.168.1.9 (although I don't really know what I'm doing, or if that's necessary).

I'm not sure what to look for in my windows firewall settings. I opened up "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", clicked on "Outbound Rules" and sorted the Local and Remote Ports columns and 9790 was not listed. I turned off Windows Firewall for local and public networks, clicked on MinimServer again from the Main Menu which opened up the 192.168.1.9:9790 webpage again and still got "This webpage is not available."

This is quite a puzzle. It sounds like all your setup is correct and I haven't seen this problem before.

Do you have a firewall running on the Synology that mght be blocking inbound connections to port 9790? You can check this by going to Control Panel > Security > Firewall. My settings are the defaults: Ports = All, Source IP = All, Action = Allow.
15-06-2015, 14:59
(15-06-2015 14:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 14:15)rayge Wrote:  192.168.1.9 is the IP address reported by Synology Control Panel's Info Network page and the wired IP address assigned to it according to my Netgear R7000 router. I also configured port forwarding to add 9790 TCP/UDP to 192.168.1.9 (although I don't really know what I'm doing, or if that's necessary).

This is quite a puzzle. It sounds like all your setup is correct and I haven't seen this problem before.

Do you have a firewall running on the Synology that mght be blocking inbound connections to port 9790? You can check this by going to Control Panel > Security > Firewall. My settings are the defaults: Ports = All, Source IP = All, Action = Allow.

H'mmm, I've attached snapshots of my LAN and All Interfaces from the Control Panel > Security > Firewall settings.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-06-2015, 15:19
(15-06-2015 14:59)rayge Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 14:31)simoncn Wrote:  

H'mmm, I've attached snapshots of my LAN and All Interfaces from the Control Panel > Security > Firewall settings.

Well, !thank you! , that was my issue. I added MinimServer to the LAN (see attached) and I can now access the status page.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-06-2015, 21:59
(15-06-2015 14:59)rayge Wrote:  H'mmm, I've attached snapshots of my LAN and All Interfaces from the Control Panel > Security > Firewall settings.

These firewall settings are blocking MinimServer. You need to add two more firewall rules to make MinimServer work correctly:

MinimServer UPnP media server / 9790,9791 / TCP
MinimServer UPnP media server / 1900 / UDP
16-06-2015, 21:46
(15-06-2015 21:59)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 14:59)rayge Wrote:  H'mmm, I've attached snapshots of my LAN and All Interfaces from the Control Panel > Security > Firewall settings.

These firewall settings are blocking MinimServer. You need to add two more firewall rules to make MinimServer work correctly:

MinimServer UPnP media server / 9790,9791 / TCP
MinimServer UPnP media server / 1900 / UDP

Thank you for that.

I'm now able to remote in via android phone with bubbleupnp. I was looking for an alternative to Synology's DSAudio app that also allows for remote access but is dog slow. This combination is more flexible, but isn't much faster browsing my collection. According to MinimServer[DiskStation] there are 128,000 'items' in 7,600 'albums'. I put minimal effort into tagging the collection so that may contribute to the long wait for songs to appear.

With the bubbleupnp app I browse by folders since the music is sorted according to genre > artists > albums / show dates. Within a folder bubbleupnp displays songs according to tagged album and track # which does not always correspond with the way I have songs ordered according to filename. There does not appear to be a view by filename option.