Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Nothing Under "Artist" View
10-06-2015, 13:44
Help! Nothing Under "Artist" View
Dear all,

No albums are showing when I look for them under any artist in "Artist" view. Rather, my control point (iPad Air) merely shows a spinning circle that goes on indefinitely.

Would be very grateful for any tips.

(NAS is Synology 212J with latest software.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2015, 14:00
RE: Help! Nothing Under "Artist" View
(10-06-2015 13:44)pinchi22 Wrote:  Dear all,

No albums are showing when I look for them under any artist in "Artist" view. Rather, my control point (iPad Air) merely shows a spinning circle that goes on indefinitely.

What control point software are you using on the iPad Air?

Do the other menu choices from the top-level MinimServer menu work for you?
10-06-2015, 14:43
Control point software: naim v4.5

Do other top-level choices work (i.e. can I drill down to individual album)?

Artist: no
All Artists: no
Composer: yes
Date: yes
Genre: yes

(10-06-2015 14:00)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 13:44)pinchi22 Wrote:  Dear all,

What control point software are you using on the iPad Air?

Do the other menu choices from the top-level MinimServer menu work for you?
10-06-2015, 17:35 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 17:35 by simoncn.)
(10-06-2015 14:43)pinchi22 Wrote:  Control point software: naim v4.5

What format are your files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, etc.)?

How did you rip (or download) and tag your files?
10-06-2015, 21:13 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 21:15 by pinchi22.)
What format are your files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, etc.)? Nearly all ripped in FLAC, set to transcode to WAV.

How did you rip (or download) and tag your files? Nearly all ripped with dbPoweramp , and tagged using default settings.

I had been able to view albums under "Artist" view until approx. 2 weeks ago. This may be coincidence, but the problem began at about the time Synology updated its software.

(10-06-2015 17:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 14:43)pinchi22 Wrote:  Control point software: naim v4.5

What format are your files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, etc.)?

How did you rip (or download) and tag your files?
10-06-2015, 21:53 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 21:55 by simoncn.)
(10-06-2015 21:13)pinchi22 Wrote:  What format are your files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, etc.)? Nearly all ripped in FLAC, set to transcode to WAV.

How did you rip (or download) and tag your files? Nearly all ripped with dbPoweramp , and tagged using default settings.

I had been able to view albums under "Artist" view until approx. 2 weeks ago. This may be coincidence, but the problem began at about the time Synology updated its software.

There might be a tagging problem with one of the artists in one of your files. This could be causing MinimServer to crash or return a response that the control point can't handle. Have you looked in the MinimServer log after you get the spinning circle to see if there is an error message?

You could also try selecting one of the other tags first (e.g., Date) and then selecting Artist or All Artists to see if the problem still occurs.
11-06-2015, 07:37
"There might be a tagging problem with one of the artists in one of your files. This could be causing MinimServer to crash or return a response that the control point can't handle. Have you looked in the MinimServer log after you get the spinning circle to see if there is an error message?"

The problem is occurring in trying to access albums of ANY artist using Artist view.

I do see in user documentation that: "By default, the log file is named minimserver.log and is located in the MinimServer data directory" I have looked at 'Log Center" of Synology DSM, but there is no log since 5 June. Is this log to be found on my computer's hard drive (Mac OS)? Finder does not find a minimserver.log file there either.

"You could also try selecting one of the other tags first (e.g., Date) and then selecting Artist or All Artists to see if the problem still occurs."

Yes, I CAN access albums this way. Here is another clue: I CAN access individual albums under "Artist" view if I do the following - Artist view -> select Albums - > stuck in infinite loop -> switch naim control point from UPnP to iRadio -> switch back to UPnP -> CAN see and access albums.

(10-06-2015 21:53)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 21:13)pinchi22 Wrote:  What format are your files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, etc.)? Nearly all ripped in FLAC, set to transcode to WAV.

There might be a tagging problem with one of the artists in one of your files. This could be causing MinimServer to crash or return a response that the control point can't handle. Have you looked in the MinimServer log after you get the spinning circle to see if there is an error message?

You could also try selecting one of the other tags first (e.g., Date) and then selecting Artist or All Artists to see if the problem still occurs.
11-06-2015, 08:03 (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 08:06 by simoncn.)
(11-06-2015 07:37)pinchi22 Wrote:  The problem is occurring in trying to access albums of ANY artist using Artist view.

Yes, I understand what action is triggering the problem. If the list of all artists contains a "bad" artist, this can cause a problem like what you are describing. The challenge is to find the "bad" artist and identify why it is "bad".

Quote:I do see in user documentation that: "By default, the log file is named minimserver.log and is located in the MinimServer data directory" I have looked at 'Log Center" of Synology DSM, but there is no log since 5 June. Is this log to be found on my computer's hard drive (Mac OS)? Finder does not find a minimserver.log file there either.

You can access the log from MinimWatch (running on your Mac) by selecting 'Show log' from the minim icon in the menu bar. You can also access the log file on the Synology by clicking on MinimServer in Package Center > Installed and then clicking on View Log near the bottom of the MinimServer page, but the MinimWatch approach is simpler.

Another way to view and download the log on the Synology is to navigate to the MinimServer > appData folder in File Station. The MinimServer > appData folder is the MinimServer data directory that is mentioned in the documentation.

Quote:"You could also try selecting one of the other tags first (e.g., Date) and then selecting Artist or All Artists to see if the problem still occurs."

Yes, I CAN access albums this way.

The is a strong indication that the problem is caused by a "bad" artist. You could go through all the dates in turn until one of the dates triggers the problem. This might be helpful for narrowing down the "bad" artist.

Quote:Here is another clue: I CAN access individual albums under "Artist" view if I do the following - Artist view -> select Albums - > stuck in infinite loop -> switch naim control point from UPnP to iRadio -> switch back to UPnP -> CAN see and access albums.

This indicates that MinimServer is runnng OK and it is the Naim control point that has "choked" on the "bad" artist.
11-06-2015, 08:09
Found log file (attached)!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-06-2015, 08:12
(11-06-2015 08:09)pinchi22 Wrote:  Found log file (attached)!

Thanks, this helps to narrow down the cause of the problem. What version of MinimServer are you running? If you are not running 0.8.3 update 66, please update to this version. Please also clear the UPnP cache in the Naim app.