Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha RX-V677 AVR crackling action time out UPnP DLNA issues
20-04-2015, 22:22
Yamaha RX-V677 AVR crackling action time out UPnP DLNA issues
I really hope people read and maybe ONE person has similar setup and found a fix.

On my NAS (homebrew Xpenology) I run minim server and bubbleupnp server. This server has about 1TB of FLAC/MP3 on it and runs 24/7 headless.

I run minimwatch on my Windows box.

I use BubbleUPnP droid client on phone or tablet and my primary receiver is Yamaha RX-V677.

NAS is hardwired GigE and Yamaha RX-V677 is wireless upstairs. Router is Netgear R7000.

I get RANDOM static/crackle/timeout/action error/unable to play/501, etc RANDOM errors on it when playing. Sometimes it will play an entire album perfectly, but in most cases when I enqueue more music to a playlist and attempt to play all I get is static. The FIX is to UNPLUG THE YAMAHA and plug it back in.

If anyone has had similar behaviour please advise. It's NOT minim and its not bubble and it's not the NAS, it seems to always point back to the YAMAHA and unfortunately I am not able to hard wire that piece.

Oddly, when I play INTERNET RADIO to it, I could play it all day long for 8 or 9 hours with zero problems at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2015, 22:23
RE: Yamaha RX-V677 AVR crackling action time out UPnP DLNA issues
Oh and if it helps, the Yamaha is setup as OPENHOME RENDERER. I'm not sure if this is a SETTING somewhere on the router for how UPnP behaves to AVR? I'm starting to think this is router/receiver related and not at all related to minim or bubble in any way.
21-04-2015, 13:00
(20-04-2015 22:23)steen Wrote:  Oh and if it helps, the Yamaha is setup as OPENHOME RENDERER. I'm not sure if this is a SETTING somewhere on the router for how UPnP behaves to AVR? I'm starting to think this is router/receiver related and not at all related to minim or bubble in any way.

This might be related to the wireless connection to the Yamaha. Can you try replacing this by a long Ethernet cable as a test?

The OpenHome renderer protocol is an alternative to standard UPnP/DLNA that provides a few additional features such as storing the playlist on the renderer and renderer-controlled gapless play. It shouldn't be related to the problem you're having.
21-04-2015, 17:33
I have not tried yet, but temporarily running a 100' ethernet cable direct from R7000 Router to the Ethernet port of Yamaha is my next step since I have exhausted every other possibility. What is odd though is that I can play Internet radio to Yamaha with zero issues, the problems are strictly UPnP/DNLA related when using ANY media server or playback client. Even doing a right click on an .MP3 in Windows8 and selecting "Play To - Yamaha" makes the crackles and bad behaviour.

I did receive an email from Mr. Bubble who suggested that I:

"open the BubbleUPnP Server configuration file on your synology (/home/bubbleupnp/appData/configuration.xml) in a text editor
In the <renderers> list, locate your Yamaha renderer and change openHomeTimeTaskPollingIntervalMs to 3000, 5000, or a higher value.
save the file
- start BubbleUPnP Server"

I will try that later to see if it helps/fixes.... The problem now is, if the HARD WIRED connection works as opposed to using the WiFi then that really sucks since I will have to run the cable in my attic and in Arizona that attic is about 180 degrees!!
22-04-2015, 18:36
So I did go ahead and wire this directly and it seems to have HELPED but the problem is not entirely gone.

I still get ACTION TIMEOUT errors, static, weird glitchy crap and this is even after increasing the value suggested by bubble. I think I'm going to go back to WiFi and continue t-shooting from there.

I have had Yamaha receivers for 20 years and think they are great. This is my very first networked AVR so perhaps this is just par for the course with any AVR when it comes to streaming personal MP3/FLAC to it and I would imagine other AVR's would have similar problems.

So, in a nutshell, hardwire to router did help a bit but did not completely eliminate the issues. =(

I have not other AVR to test with and this RX-V677 is just one under their current consumer flagship model. On latest 1.50 firmware so until Yamaha can address the problems not much else I can do but live with the glitches.
22-04-2015, 19:48
(22-04-2015 18:36)steen Wrote:  So I did go ahead and wire this directly and it seems to have HELPED but the problem is not entirely gone.

I still get ACTION TIMEOUT errors, static, weird glitchy crap and this is even after increasing the value suggested by bubble. I think I'm going to go back to WiFi and continue t-shooting from there.

I have had Yamaha receivers for 20 years and think they are great. This is my very first networked AVR so perhaps this is just par for the course with any AVR when it comes to streaming personal MP3/FLAC to it and I would imagine other AVR's would have similar problems.

So, in a nutshell, hardwire to router did help a bit but did not completely eliminate the issues. =(

I have not other AVR to test with and this RX-V677 is just one under their current consumer flagship model. On latest 1.50 firmware so until Yamaha can address the problems not much else I can do but live with the glitches.

Have you considered the possibility that your unit might have a hardware fault? This experience is not normal with network streaming.
22-04-2015, 20:08
I have not considered hardware fault, no.

Before I started setting up the whole UPnP/DLNA setup I have going on now I would use the internet radio streaming option and had zero issues, it would play all day long on a weekend. I also have no problems with the unit regarding its primary use as AVR for home theater and PS4 and all of that stuff. A a receiver it works without a hitch like all my other Yamaha have.

The only problems I have with it are strictly related to media server / upnp / dlna playback. I thought maybe it was something goofy with the WiFi so I did hard-wire it, and while that certainly helped, it did not make it 100%.

If it glitched out on any other task (television, bluray, internet, spotify, etc) then I would think it had a problem but it handles all of those other pieces just fine.

The only real way to know is to buy an entirely new RX-V677 and test that, but it's just not feasible since they are $600.
22-05-2015, 06:42
Hi there - I have pretty much exactly the same setup rxv677, android tablet or phone running bubbleupnp or the default music app. My yamaha is on ethernet and the source of media can vary from my NAS to the music locally on my android device but with the exact same results. The only ways I can avoid the issue are to either a) use the yamaha App itself to play music from the NAS or b) to stream it to the receiver via a chromecast stuck In the back.
22-05-2015, 10:49
(22-05-2015 06:42)scampbel73 Wrote:  Hi there - I have pretty much exactly the same setup rxv677, android tablet or phone running bubbleupnp or the default music app. My yamaha is on ethernet and the source of media can vary from my NAS to the music locally on my android device but with the exact same results. The only ways I can avoid the issue are to either a) use the yamaha App itself to play music from the NAS or b) to stream it to the receiver via a chromecast stuck In the back.

This rules out the possibility of a hardware fault. It sounds like it is probably an issue with the Yamaha firmware.
05-10-2019, 09:13
Goodmorning all,
Can you please share your (radio stream) play list for the Yamaha RX-V677 please?
My problem is that when I open my play list a lot of streams are greyed out and only three are white and are opening.
Problem is the "unable to play" text.

Do you also recommend extra adjustments to MinimServer?
problem is that I do not understand al in depth terms and how to implement them for my situation.

Thanks,
Paul