Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloaded music not playing correctly
28-12-2012, 13:10 (This post was last modified: 31-12-2012 18:09 by RSJ.)
Downloaded music not playing correctly
Simon (et al)

I have one download, a recoding of Tannhauser (Solti / Vienna Philharmonic / Decca) that does not play correctly - it seems to stutter slightly between tracks - a slight dip in the sound and a tiny break. The music was downloaded from Universal Music.

As far as I am aware, it is the only recording with this problem.

It this s known issue with some recordings, and is there anything that I can do to rectify the problem?

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 13:48
RE: Ripped CD not plaing correctly
(28-12-2012 13:10)RSJ Wrote:  Simon (et al)

I have one download, a recoding of Tannhauser (Solti / Vienna Philharmonic / Decca) that does not play correctly - it seems to stutter slightly between tracks - a slight dip in the sound and a tiny break. The music was downloaded from Universal Music.

As far as I am aware, it is the only recording with this problem.

It this s known issue with some recordings, and is there anything that I can do to rectify the problem?

Richard

Which control point and music renderer (player) are you using to play this album?

How long is the stutter/break between tracks?
28-12-2012, 13:53
I am using Kinsky and a Linn Majic DSI.

The break betwen tracks is momentary.
28-12-2012, 16:12
(28-12-2012 13:53)RSJ Wrote:  I am using Kinsky and a Linn Majic DSI.

The break betwen tracks is momentary.

Thanks for the quick reply. Three more questions:

1) Do you have the MinimServer 'transcode' property set?

2) Have you tried using other servers such as Twonky or Asset?

3) Does your NAS contain a HDD that spins down after a short period of inactivity, such as WD Green? If so, the stutter might be caused by the HDD spinning up to serve the next track. Can you put your ear next to the NAS to check if this is happening?
28-12-2012, 17:03
The transcode property is set to 'wav24'.

I have listened to the download on Asset - i don't think it had the same problem.

I am not sure whether the disks spin down, but I would guess that is not the problem, as it would be unikely to afflict only this recording.
28-12-2012, 19:21
(28-12-2012 17:03)RSJ Wrote:  The transcode property is set to 'wav24'.

I have listened to the download on Asset - i don't think it had the same problem.

I am not sure whether the disks spin down, but I would guess that is not the problem, as it would be unikely to afflict only this recording.

Please can you try playing this album without the 'transcode' property set. You'll need to refresh the URLs for the tracks of this album after changing the 'transcode' property. One simple way to do this is to select Restart from the minim icon. You can confirm whether you're playing FLAC or WAV from the Now Playing display in Kinsky. Thanks!
28-12-2012, 20:23
I have tried this, and there is still the offeding gap.

Would it help if I sent you two adjacent tracks, so that you can hear the problem?