Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer going offline
12-04-2015, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 18-09-2019 14:22 by Peter StreamMagic.)
MinimServer going offline
Hi,

Last few days MinimServer on my PC lets me down.
Although the icon is green and states MinimServer is running the Lumin app says it is offline and other controlpoints and XBMC (installed on this PC) do not find Minim.
No problems with Minim on my NAS.
At this moment it is running fine, but for some reason Minim sometimes goes offline for a while.
Reboot router,disabling firewall, rescan and restart Minim didn't help.
One curious thing :When rescanning or restarting Minim on my NAS the icon turns yellow and to green when ready, doing the same on My PC the icon stays green?
Any ideas what is going wrong?

Peter.

Now it is running fine I have tested a rescan : the icon turns yellow now during rescan!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 14:50
RE: MinimServer going offline
(12-04-2015 12:42)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi,

Although the icon is green and states MinimServer is running the Lumin app says it is offline and other controlpoints and XBMC (installed on this PC) do not find Minim.
At this moment it is running fine, but for some reason Minim sometimes goes offline for a while.
One curious thing :When rescanning or restarting Minim on my NAS the icon turns yellow and to green when reddy, doing the same on My PC the icon stays green?

Peter.

Now it is running fine I have tested a rescan : the icon turns yellow now during rescan!!

It is normal for the icon to turn yellow during a rescan. This indicates that the rescan is in progress. When the rescan has completed, the icon will turn green.
12-04-2015, 15:07 (This post was last modified: 18-09-2019 14:23 by Peter StreamMagic.)
(12-04-2015 14:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 12:42)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi,

One curious thing :When rescanning or restarting Minim on my NAS the icon turns yellow and to green when ready, doing the same on My PC the icon stays green?

Peter.

It is normal for the icon to turn yellow during a rescan. This indicates that the rescan is in progress. When the rescan has completed, the icon will turn green.
Hello Simon,

The strange thing is that if MinimServer going offline (that is the main problem) and I try to restart/rescan Minim, the icon does not turn yellow!
Minim says it is restarting but in fact it doesn't.

Peter.
12-04-2015, 15:20 (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 15:25 by simoncn.)
(12-04-2015 15:07)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hello Simon,

The strange thing is that if MinimServer going offline (that is the main problem) and I try to restart/rescan Minim, the icon does not turn yellow!

Peter.

Does this problem occur when MinimServer is running on your PC and you are trying to do a restart or rescan from the minim icon on your PC?

If so, this seems to indicate that MinimServer on your PC has crashed. You can confirm this by selecting About from the green minim icon on your PC. If MinimServer has crashed, this will not produce the usual About dialog.

Edit: what do you mean by "Minim says it is restarting"? Where are you seeing this?

Edit 2: It could be that MinimServer is hung. If so, there will be a javaw process in Task Manager on your PC. Do you see this process?
12-04-2015, 16:09
(12-04-2015 15:20)simoncn Wrote:  [quote='Peter StreamMagic' pid='15475' dateline='1428847646']
Hello Simon,

Peter.

Does this problem occur when MinimServer is running on your PC and you are trying to do a restart or rescan from the minim icon on your PC?

If so, this seems to indicate that MinimServer on your PC has crashed. You can confirm this by selecting About from the green minim icon on your PC. If MinimServer has crashed, this will not produce the usual About dialog.

"If the problem occurs I will have a look"

Edit: what do you mean by "Minim says it is restarting"? Where are you seeing this?

"The mouse pointer on the icon MinimServer [PETER-PC] (now it says MinimServer is running)."

Edit 2: It could be that MinimServer is hung. If so, there will be a javaw process in Task Manager on your PC. Do you see this process?

"Haven't looked for it yet"
13-04-2015, 10:07
If you see this problem again, please do the following:

1) Look in Task Manager to see whether javaw.exe is running

2) Check the Commnd Line column in Task Manager to confirm that javaw.exe is runnng MinimServer

3) Use the PID column in Task Manager to get the PID (process id) of the javaw.exe process for MinimServer

4) From a command prompt run "jstack <pid>" where <pid> is the PID from step 3

Note: The jstack command is part of the JDK and is not included in the JRE. If you don't already have the JDK installed, you need to download and install it for this step.

5) Copy and paste the full output from the jstack command into a file and attach this file to a post here

Many thanks!
18-04-2015, 23:37
(13-04-2015 10:07)simoncn Wrote:  If you see this problem again, please do the following:

1) Look in Task Manager to see whether javaw.exe is running

2) Check the Commnd Line column in Task Manager to confirm that javaw.exe is runnng MinimServer

3) Use the PID column in Task Manager to get the PID (process id) of the javaw.exe process for MinimServer

4) From a command prompt run "jstack <pid>" where <pid> is the PID from step 3

Note: The jstack command is part of the JDK and is not included in the JRE. If you don't already have the JDK installed, you need to download and install it for this step.

5) Copy and paste the full output from the jstack command into a file and attach this file to a post here

Many thanks!

Hi Simon,

It took some time and effort.
Minim went down a few minutes ago.

.docx  jstacj 3200.docx (Size: 13.94 KB / Downloads: 2)

Peter
19-04-2015, 00:10
(18-04-2015 23:37)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Peter

Thanks for doing this.

From the thread dump, it looks like MinimServer is running normally. Was the minim icon in the Windows system tray still reponsive when MinimServer appeared "down" to other machines on the network? If so, there might be a loss of network multicast connectivity that is preventing MinimServer from being accessed by other machines on the network. This could be related to your network router settings for multicast or IGMP snooping. Another possibility is some kind of problem within the ohNet stack that MinimServer uses for UPnP network interactions.
19-04-2015, 00:38 (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 08:54 by Peter StreamMagic.)
(19-04-2015 00:10)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 23:37)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Peter

Thanks for doing this.

From the thread dump, it looks like MinimServer is running normally. Was the minim icon in the Windows system tray still reponsive when MinimServer appeared "down" to other machines on the network? If so, there might be a loss of network multicast connectivity that is preventing MinimServer from being accessed by other machines on the network. This could be related to your network router settings for multicast or IGMP snooping. Another possibility is some kind of problem within the ohNet stack that MinimServer uses for UPnP network interactions.
The minim icon was responsive.
I noticed Minim went offline using the Luminapp.
XBMC which is installed on the same PC did not respond at all, showing a endless loading.
In less than minute Minim was online again.
In fact this was the first time today it went offline longer than it took to run upstairs! It went offline several times today for a period of a few seconds.
There is some difference in behaviour when going offline though.
When I started this thread XBMX could not find MinimServer [PETER-PC]
and the icon did not turn green during rescan,this time it found Minim but didn't load its contents.

Peter.
19-04-2015, 16:04
(19-04-2015 00:38)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  The minim icon was responsive.
I noticed Minim went offline using the Luminapp.
XBMC which is installed on the same PC did not respond at all, showing a endless loading.
In less than minute Minim was online again.
In fact this was the first time today it went offline longer than it took to run upstairs! It went offline several times today for a period of a few seconds.

From your earlier posts, I hadn't realised that the problem is resolving itself after a short time. This suggests the problem is caused by a temporary network connectivity issue.

Quote:There is some difference in behaviour when going offline though.
When I started this thread XBMX could not find MinimServer [PETER-PC]
and the icon did not turn green during rescan,this time it found Minim but didn't load its contents.

Peter.

How exactly are you doing this rescan? If MinimServer is working but the network has a connectivity problem, I would expect a rescan from the minim icon on the same Windows machine to work OK unless you are using the network to access your music files.