Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing JRiver library into Minimserver
11-04-2015, 01:09
Importing JRiver library into Minimserver
Hi -- I am currently using JRiver on a Zuma windows-based computer, which streams files from a Synology server, connected via ethernet on a LAN. I am considering switching to the Sonore Signature Rendu instead of the Zuma. As part of the switch, I would use the Minimserver running on the Synology server. I am also using JRemote on an IPad. It's not a headless setup -- I like the flexibility of using the mouse/keyboard as necessary.

Is there a smooth way to migrate all the tagging, including cover art, and media files so the JRiver library is duplicated on the Minimserver? I have an Android tablet at well, if that works better than the ipad. I just spent several months cleaning up and tagging my catalog manually in JRiver, and the prospect of having to repeat that or any substantial part of that, is truly intimidating.

Thanks. -- David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2015, 09:21
RE: Importing JRiver library into Minimserver
(11-04-2015 01:09)DavidZ Wrote:  Hi -- I am currently using JRiver on a Zuma windows-based computer, which streams files from a Synology server, connected via ethernet on a LAN. I am considering switching to the Sonore Signature Rendu instead of the Zuma. As part of the switch, I would use the Minimserver running on the Synology server. I am also using JRemote on an IPad. It's not a headless setup -- I like the flexibility of using the mouse/keyboard as necessary.

Is there a smooth way to migrate all the tagging, including cover art, and media files so the JRiver library is duplicated on the Minimserver? I have an Android tablet at well, if that works better than the ipad. I just spent several months cleaning up and tagging my catalog manually in JRiver, and the prospect of having to repeat that or any substantial part of that, is truly intimidating.

Thanks. -- David

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

The first step is to make JRiver write all its metadata information to tags in your music files. See this page for details of how to do this.

After this, you should be able to install MinimServer on the Synology and set the content directory to point to your Synology JRiver library. You will also need to install MinimWatch on the Zuma. The initial MinimServer scan of your library might produce some errors or warnings and you can use the log window in MinimWatch to debug and fix these.

To play music, the best UPnP control point I have found is BubbleUPnP. You can run this on your Android tablet. Enjoy!
11-04-2015, 12:19
(11-04-2015 09:21)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 01:09)DavidZ Wrote:  Hi -- I am currently using JRiver on a Zuma windows-based computer, which streams files from a Synology server, connected via ethernet on a LAN. I am considering switching to the Sonore Signature Rendu instead of the Zuma. As part of the switch, I would use the Minimserver running on the Synology server. I am also using JRemote on an IPad. It's not a headless setup -- I like the flexibility of using the mouse/keyboard as necessary.

Thanks. -- David

The first step is to make JRiver write all its metadata information to tags in your music files. See this page for details of how to do this.

After this, you should be able to install MinimServer on the Synology and set the content directory to point to your Synology JRiver library. You will also need to install MinimWatch on the Zuma. The initial MinimServer scan of your library might produce some errors or warnings and you can use the log window in MinimWatch to debug and fix these.

To play music, the best UPnP control point I have found is BubbleUPnP. You can run this on your Android tablet. Enjoy!

Thanks Simon! I also have a Windows 7 computer, in my den, upstairs away from the audio room -- couldn't I run Minimwatch on that? It sits on the same network as the Zuma and Synology server. I use it to rip CDs when necessary, & also to "remote in" to the Zuma to do tagging in JRiver. I presume MinimWatch is for adding new files and other administrative chores, and that I can do those on the Windows 7 machine. I ask all this because it would make sense to get rid of the Zuma if everything I have said here is correct. Thanks. -- David
11-04-2015, 12:21
(11-04-2015 12:19)DavidZ Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 09:21)simoncn Wrote:  

Thanks. -- David

Thanks Simon! I also have a Windows 7 computer, in my den, upstairs away from the audio room -- couldn't I run Minimwatch on that? It sits on the same network as the Zuma and Synology server. I use it to rip CDs when necessary, & also to "remote in" to the Zuma to do tagging in JRiver. I presume MinimWatch is for adding new files and other administrative chores, and that I can do those on the Windows 7 machine. I ask all this because it would make sense to get rid of the Zuma if everything I have said here is correct. Thanks. -- David

Simon, I was also wondering if you've heard the Sonore Signature Rendu?
11-04-2015, 12:38
(11-04-2015 12:19)DavidZ Wrote:  Thanks Simon! I also have a Windows 7 computer, in my den, upstairs away from the audio room -- couldn't I run Minimwatch on that? It sits on the same network as the Zuma and Synology server. I use it to rip CDs when necessary, & also to "remote in" to the Zuma to do tagging in JRiver. I presume MinimWatch is for adding new files and other administrative chores, and that I can do those on the Windows 7 machine. I ask all this because it would make sense to get rid of the Zuma if everything I have said here is correct. Thanks. -- David

I didn't realise you had another Windows 7 computer. It would be fine to run MinimWatch on this computer.
11-04-2015, 12:40
(11-04-2015 12:21)DavidZ Wrote:  Simon, I was also wondering if you've heard the Sonore Signature Rendu?

No, I haven't.
11-04-2015, 12:50
(11-04-2015 12:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 12:21)DavidZ Wrote:  Simon, I was also wondering if you've heard the Sonore Signature Rendu?

No, I haven't.

Thanks, Simon. If you could bear with me for one more question..... To get I feel for how Minimserver works, prior to getting a Rendu, here's what I was thinking. Could I run MinimServer on the Synology and connect it directly to my DAC? Does it need "DLNA rendering" before it would work? Thanks again for your patience... David
11-04-2015, 15:00
(11-04-2015 12:50)DavidZ Wrote:  Thanks, Simon. If you could bear with me for one more question..... To get I feel for how Minimserver works, prior to getting a Rendu, here's what I was thinking. Could I run MinimServer on the Synology and connect it directly to my DAC? Does it need "DLNA rendering" before it would work? Thanks again for your patience... David

You need a UPnP or DLNA renderer. This could be either a hardware or software component. There is a software UPnP renderer in JRiver that you could use for testing without using the other parts of JRiver.