Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Resampling
31-03-2015, 10:48
RE: Resampling
(31-03-2015 00:10)bobxsherman Wrote:  I downloaded and installed it. ffmpeg works I do not have a path for ffmpeg using JPlay. Do I need more path info for sox to work. This is what I downloaded.
ffmpeg-20150218-git-8bc8001-win32-static.7z

thanks
Bob

What exactly do you have in the stream.converter property of MinimServer?

What is the exact folder location of the downloaded version of ffmpeg?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 18:06 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 18:07 by granosalis.)
Still trying to install libsoxr.
Could someone support me on how to install ffmpeg on Qnap intel NAS? In fact, the file (ffmpeg-release-32bit-static.tar.xz) is not in a package format and the QNAP application installer do not recognize it.
Thanks in advance.
01-04-2015, 18:36 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 18:44 by DavidHB.)
(01-04-2015 18:06)granosalis Wrote:  Could someone support me on how to install ffmpeg on Qnap intel NAS? In fact, the file (ffmpeg-release-32bit-static.tar.xz) is not in a package format and the QNAP application installer do not recognize it.

I don't have a QNAP, but I think you could adapt the approach I used with my ReadyNAS, described on this page. The one difference from what I did is that you will need to unpack the .tar.gz file before you copy it to the QNAP. Most archive utilities (I use 7-Zip on Windows) will decompress .tar.gz files (aka tarballs). I would place everything that decompresses in the folder referenced by the stream.converter property.

David
01-04-2015, 19:23 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 19:23 by simoncn.)
(01-04-2015 18:36)DavidHB Wrote:  I don't have a QNAP, but I think you could adapt the approach I used with my ReadyNAS, described on this page. The one difference from what I did is that you will need to unpack the .tar.gz file before you copy it to the QNAP. Most archive utilities (I use 7-Zip on Windows) will decompress .tar.gz files (aka tarballs). I would place everything that decompresses in the folder referenced by the stream.converter property.

David

The stream.converter property references a file, not a folder. You could unpack the .xz file on Windows as DavidHB suggested, then copy the ffmpeg binary to the Public share of the NAS and set the stream.converter property to /share/Public/ffmpeg. Make sure the ffmpeg file has the execute permission set.
01-04-2015, 21:14
David, Simon,
thanks a lot for your support. I have moved the ffmpeg package to the QNap public folder and I successfully set the path in minim server. Works! I have changed the permission using WinScp. Unfortunatelly, when I try to use libsoxr (setting the streaming option with: convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr) I got the error.
I guess the ffmpeg I have downloaded do not contains libsox.
So now the next question is how to retrieve a static compilation of ffmpeg for intel (QNap) that includes libsoxr. Thanks!

Regards,
Giuseppe
01-04-2015, 21:43
(01-04-2015 21:14)granosalis Wrote:  David, Simon,
thanks a lot for your support. I have moved the ffmpeg package to the QNap public folder and I successfully set the path in minim server. Works! I have changed the permission using WinScp. Unfortunatelly, when I try to use libsoxr (setting the streaming option with: convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr) I got the error.
I guess the ffmpeg I have downloaded do not contains libsox.
So now the next question is how to retrieve a static compilation of ffmpeg for intel (QNap) that includes libsoxr. Thanks!

Regards,
Giuseppe

I've looked for this but I haven't been able to find one. Sad
01-04-2015, 23:16
(01-04-2015 19:23)simoncn Wrote:  The stream.converter property references a file, not a folder.

Well, it references the folder as part of the path, I suppose, but I admit that the thought was not well expressed; thanks for the correction.

(01-04-2015 21:43)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 21:14)granosalis Wrote:  So now the next question is how to retrieve a static compilation of ffmpeg for intel (QNap) that includes libsoxr. Thanks!

I've looked for this but I haven't been able to find one. Sad

That's a pity, and a little frustrating, considering that (AFAIK) all the Zeranoe builds of FFmpeg for Windows do now incorporate soxr.

David
02-04-2015, 08:33
(01-04-2015 23:16)DavidHB Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 19:23)simoncn Wrote:  I've looked for this but I haven't been able to find one. Sad

That's a pity, and a little frustrating, considering that (AFAIK) all the Zeranoe builds of FFmpeg for Windows do now incorporate soxr.

David

David, there is a possibility.Idea Stay tuned. Smile

Regards,
Giuseppe
02-04-2015, 10:13
(02-04-2015 08:33)granosalis Wrote:  David, there is a possibility.Idea Stay tuned. Smile

That's good news. I am certainly interested for the longer term, as eventually I shall need a new NAS, and QNAP is one of the candidates.

David
02-04-2015, 15:15 (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 15:16 by granosalis.)
In fact I have made some listening test with ffmpeg standard re-sampling algorithm and I have to say that I'm not impressed at all.
I can easily understand potential of this method, but the usage of a basic algorithm produce a digital sounds, too harsh and edgy for my taste (especially from 44 to 192 , better results from 44 to 176).
While I'm sure we can have much better results with more sophisticated software as I did in the past with standalone computer players like Audirvana using iZotope upsampling.
Now I'm very happy with minimserver on QNap nas + Renderer, the overall results is better than Software player with USB, but I miss some top quality pre-processing options like upsampling.
Every DAC internally do upsampling, so it is just a matter to find an algorithm that is better than the internal DAC one to improve the sound quality.
That's why I'm using my time trying to find a better alternative to ffmpeg.

Regards,
Giuseppe