Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations or comments - best place?
20-03-2015, 23:19
RE: Annotations or comments - best place?
(20-03-2015 23:14)krutsch Wrote:  Yes... "full" rescan. By "COMMENT tags" (plural), do I need to add anything other than the word COMMENT into the itemTags field on the Server tab?

You need to add Comment in either itemTags or indexTags and you also need to add COMMENT tags to your files, then do a Rescan.

If you put Comment in indexTags instead of itemTags, do you get an index entry for Comment in the top-level MinimServer menu? This would confirm that the COMMENT tags are present in the files and have been read by MinimServer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2015, 19:25
(20-03-2015 23:19)simoncn Wrote:  You need to add Comment in either itemTags or indexTags and you also need to add COMMENT tags to your files, then do a Rescan.

If you put Comment in indexTags instead of itemTags, do you get an index entry for Comment in the top-level MinimServer menu? This would confirm that the COMMENT tags are present in the files and have been read by MinimServer.

Tried both locations... nothing in the meta data display on Bubble or Kazoo. I've verified that the Comment field is filled in, with both XLD and Tag (Mac apps). And, I've run a full rescan on each iteration.

Not sure what else to try; maybe I will try some other FLAC files to see if there is something peculiar with the test album I am using.
21-03-2015, 20:46
(21-03-2015 19:25)krutsch Wrote:  Tried both locations... nothing in the meta data display on Bubble or Kazoo. I've verified that the Comment field is filled in, with both XLD and Tag (Mac apps). And, I've run a full rescan on each iteration.

Not sure what else to try; maybe I will try some other FLAC files to see if there is something peculiar with the test album I am using.

21-03-2015, 20:55
(21-03-2015 20:46)simoncn Wrote:  If you put Comment in indexTags instead of itemTags, do you get an index entry for Comment in the top-level MinimServer menu? This would confirm that the COMMENT tags are present in the files and have been read by MinimServer.

I was just trying that now. I added:

Comment:Media

...to the indexTags and, voila, I have a container called Media with files containing crap in the Comment field (e.g. Amazon Song ID:12345). I looked at some of these files in XLD, Audirvana and Tag and, yes, the same Comment field has these values.

So, I am in the process of using Audirvana to clear all of my Comment tags (I hope I'm not sorry I started that process) and then I will try adding text back in, manually.

I don't understand why my test album's Comment tag never shows up, but I have something that works. Now I have to make sure my tools are adding tags in correctly.

Thanks for your help.
21-03-2015, 21:52
(21-03-2015 20:55)krutsch Wrote:  I don't understand why my test album's Comment tag never shows up, but I have something that works. Now I have to make sure my tools are adding tags in correctly.

Thanks for your help.

I am really baffled by this; whether I add to the Comment field with Tag or Audirvana+ (2.0.10), it never appears with the meta data for that album, nor does it get added the "Comment:Media" container at the top level of MinimServer. Any other changes I make work fine - just nothing from Comment.

What are you using to edit tags on a Mac?
21-03-2015, 23:09
^^ Seems to be specific to FLAC. I am able to edit the Comments field in MP3 files using either Tag or iTunes, rescan and the text appears under the Desc. label in Bubble's metadata.

I cannot do the same with FLAC, regardless of the tool with which I edit the tags.

I will also try some with ALAC, move my library back to iTunes (instead of my parallel FLAC library) and see what happens with Comment tags added with iTunes.
21-03-2015, 23:12
(21-03-2015 21:52)krutsch Wrote:  I am really baffled by this; whether I add to the Comment field with Tag or Audirvana+ (2.0.10), it never appears with the meta data for that album, nor does it get added the "Comment:Media" container at the top level of MinimServer. Any other changes I make work fine - just nothing from Comment.

What are you using to edit tags on a Mac?

Perhaps these tagging programs are using some other tag field for Comment. My favourite tagging program for the Mac is Metadatics. I haven't tried using it to populate the Comment tag.
21-03-2015, 23:28
(21-03-2015 23:12)simoncn Wrote:  Perhaps these tagging programs are using some other tag field for Comment. My favourite tagging program for the Mac is Metadatics. I haven't tried using it to populate the Comment tag.

See my previous comment (the one after the one to which you replied). Seems to be a FLAC problem.
21-03-2015, 23:45 (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 23:46 by simoncn.)
(21-03-2015 23:09)krutsch Wrote:  ^^ Seems to be specific to FLAC. I am able to edit the Comments field in MP3 files using either Tag or iTunes, rescan and the text appears under the Desc. label in Bubble's metadata.

I cannot do the same with FLAC, regardless of the tool with which I edit the tags.

I will also try some with ALAC, move my library back to iTunes (instead of my parallel FLAC library) and see what happens with Comment tags added with iTunes.

This is working for me with COMMENT tags in FLAC files.

Can you examine one of these FLAC files using a hex editor to check whether it contains a COMMENT tag? Alternatively, can you use the indexTags procedure that I suggested previously to check whether MinimServer is able to find these tags in your FLAC files?

Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?
21-03-2015, 23:57
(21-03-2015 23:45)simoncn Wrote:  This is working for me with COMMENT tags in FLAC files.

Can you examine one of these FLAC files using a hex editor to check whether it contains a COMMENT tag? Alternatively, can you use the indexTags procedure that I suggested previously to check whether MinimServer is able to find these tags in your FLAC files?

Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?

I know you are getting a lot of comments and I appreciate your patience.

I have already used the "indexTags" procedure you mention; and, I've looked at the logs (turned up to Verbose) - nothing looks incorrect.

I also looked at an example file with a Hex editor (using MediaInfo), which *does* show: Description: SACD, Hybrid, Surround

...which is what I placed into the Comment field using Audirvana+. Lately, I've been using A+ to edit my FLAC tags, since it's so nice for that (assuming it's output is technically correct).

When I rescan, the Comment listed above does not appear in Bubble, Kazoo and it does not show-up in the newly formed itemTags container for Comment fields.

To recap: the same tag editors are working fine with MP3, I am checking now to see if I have a similar issue with ALAC.