Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Minimserver Instances
15-03-2015, 15:18
Multiple Minimserver Instances
Hi, I have two music libraries that I do not want to comingle. I would like to be able to switch between the two when using Auralic Aries and Lightening DS. What is the best way to do this with Minimserver? Can I run two instances on the same PC, each pointing to a different music library with a different Minimserver name? Or how else can I make this work?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 16:48
RE: Multiple Minimserver Instances
(15-03-2015 15:18)damcats Wrote:  Hi, I have two music libraries that I do not want to comingle. I would like to be able to switch between the two when using Auralic Aries and Lightening DS. What is the best way to do this with Minimserver? Can I run two instances on the same PC, each pointing to a different music library with a different Minimserver name? Or how else can I make this work?

Thanks

It is possible to set this up when MinimServer is runnng on Windows. See this post for details.
15-03-2015, 21:31
(15-03-2015 16:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 15:18)damcats Wrote:  Hi, I have two music libraries that I do not want to comingle. I would like to be able to switch between the two when using Auralic Aries and Lightening DS. What is the best way to do this with Minimserver? Can I run two instances on the same PC, each pointing to a different music library with a different Minimserver name? Or how else can I make this work?

Thanks

It is possible to set this up when MinimServer is runnng on Windows. See this post for details.

Thanks so much. I will try this!
20-03-2015, 03:28
(15-03-2015 16:48)simoncn Wrote:  

Thanks

Simon, I am still confused on how to do this when I follow this link. Are there more detailed instructions on how to create and run scripts. Thanks!
20-03-2015, 10:03
(20-03-2015 03:28)damcats Wrote:  Simon, I am still confused on how to do this when I follow this link. Are there more detailed instructions on how to create and run scripts. Thanks!

There isn't an officially supported and documented way to do this at present. Do you have another computer or NAS that you can use to run the second instance?
20-03-2015, 16:14
(20-03-2015 10:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 03:28)damcats Wrote:  Simon, I am still confused on how to do this when I follow this link. Are there more detailed instructions on how to create and run scripts. Thanks!

There isn't an officially supported and documented way to do this at present. Do you have another computer or NAS that you can use to run the second instance?
Unfortunately my NAS (Netgear NV+) cannot run MinimServer so I have just my one computer. Thanks
20-03-2015, 17:27
(20-03-2015 16:14)damcats Wrote:  Unfortunately my NAS (Netgear NV+) cannot run MinimServer so I have just my one computer. Thanks

The simplest solution is probably to create a second user and run the second instance under the second user. You will need to set http.port and ohnet.port to different values for the second instance (e.g., 9792 and 9793).
20-03-2015, 17:42
(20-03-2015 17:27)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 16:14)damcats Wrote:  Unfortunately my NAS (Netgear NV+) cannot run MinimServer so I have just my one computer. Thanks

The simplest solution is probably to create a second user and run the second instance under the second user. You will need to set http.port and ohnet.port to different values for the second instance (e.g., 9792 and 9793).

If I do this, can both instances run at same time or only one at a time?
20-03-2015, 22:38
(20-03-2015 17:42)damcats Wrote:  If I do this, can both instances run at same time or only one at a time?

If you do the following, both instances can run at the same time:

1) As the first user, start the first instance
2) Switch users to the second user (don't log off the first user)
3) As the second user, start the second instance (note: the first time you do this, you'll get an error message about JVM_Bind and you need to change http.port to the value 9792 instead of 9790, then Exit and restart)
4) Switch users back to the first user (don't log off the second user)
21-03-2015, 18:00
(20-03-2015 22:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 17:42)damcats Wrote:  If I do this, can both instances run at same time or only one at a time?

If you do the following, both instances can run at the same time:

1) As the first user, start the first instance
2) Switch users to the second user (don't log off the first user)
3) As the second user, start the second instance (note: the first time you do this, you'll get an error message about JVM_Bind and you need to change http.port to the value 9792 instead of 9790, then Exit and restart)
4) Switch users back to the first user (don't log off the second user)

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. I was able to get two instances working without creating two users.

This script starts first instance:

set APPDATA=C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer
cd C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib
start javaw -jar mserver.jar
exit

This script starts the second instance:

set APPDATA=C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer1
cd C:\Program Files\MinimServer1\lib
start javaw -jar mserver.jar