Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android server version?
11-12-2012, 11:18
Android server version?
Hello,

when do you plan to release a android version for the server?
I have just bought an android mini-PC and it would be great to install minimServer on it.

Thanks for your work!

Fabien
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 11:55
RE: Android server version?
(11-12-2012 11:18)fabien44 Wrote:  Hello,

when do you plan to release a android version for the server?
I have just bought an android mini-PC and it would be great to install minimServer on it.

Thanks for your work!

Fabien

What kind of mini-PC is this? Which version of Android is it running?

The MinimServer user interface (minim icon) won't run on Android, but the rest of the code should run OK. I could release a "headless" version for Android (similar to the NAS versions), but you'd need to install MinimWatch on another computer to be able to control and configure MinimServer. I don't think you'd find this very convenient.

I could write a new UI for Android, but this would take some time because I'm not (yet) familiar with Android UI programming.

Alternatively, I could write a web UI for MinimServer, but this would also take some time because I'm not (yet) familiar with web UI programming.

I'm still thinking about which of these UI options I should pursue first. The web UI approach is attractive because it would also run on iOS devices.
11-12-2012, 16:26 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 16:26 by bbrip.)
... and of course there is iOS. Would be great to have a kind of "minimWatch" App running on my iPad so I could change settings restart etc form the couch Smile However, a ReadyNAS version would really be much more vital Smile
11-12-2012, 16:30 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 16:33 by fabien44.)
(11-12-2012 11:55)simoncn Wrote:  What kind of mini-PC is this? Which version of Android is it running?

The MinimServer user interface (minim icon) won't run on Android, but the rest of the code should run OK. I could release a "headless" version for Android (similar to the NAS versions), but you'd need to install MinimWatch on another computer to be able to control and configure MinimServer. I don't think you'd find this very convenient.

I could write a new UI for Android, but this would take some time because I'm not (yet) familiar with Android UI programming.

Alternatively, I could write a web UI for MinimServer, but this would also take some time because I'm not (yet) familiar with web UI programming.

I'm still thinking about which of these UI options I should pursue first. The web UI approach is attractive because it would also run on iOS devices.

This is the following model: minix Neo X5 with Android ICS 4.0.4 (4.1.1 Jelly Bean upgradable)

http://www.ddshopping.com/minix-neo-x5-r...11191.html

No matter if i have to set everything from a remote PC but i guess all my parameters will be persistent!
11-12-2012, 16:45
(11-12-2012 16:30)fabien44 Wrote:  This is the following model: minix Neo X5 with Android ICS 4.0.4 (4.1.1 Jelly Bean upgradable)

http://www.ddshopping.com/minix-neo-x5-r...11191.html

No matter if i have to set everything from a remote PC but i guess all my parameters will be persistent!

Thanks for the link. From your first post, I had the impression of a small PC with screen and keyboard, so this helps to clarify things. As you say, it should be OK to use a headless version of MinimServer on this box. I can't give any estimate for when I might have something available.
11-12-2012, 17:18
(11-12-2012 16:45)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for the link. From your first post, I had the impression of a small PC with screen and keyboard, so this helps to clarify things. As you say, it should be OK to use a headless version of MinimServer on this box. I can't give any estimate for when I might have something available.
Good news, thanks very much Smile
11-12-2012, 17:42
(11-12-2012 17:18)fabien44 Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 16:45)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for the link. From your first post, I had the impression of a small PC with screen and keyboard, so this helps to clarify things. As you say, it should be OK to use a headless version of MinimServer on this box. I can't give any estimate for when I might have something available.
Good news, thanks very much Smile

I hope the above was clear: I can't give any estimate for when I might have something available. To be slightly more explicit, it's likely to be a few months.
12-12-2012, 10:25
(11-12-2012 17:42)simoncn Wrote:  I hope the above was clear: I can't give any estimate for when I might have something available. To be slightly more explicit, it's likely to be a few months.
I understand, it'up to you. But it's clear that within few months (less 1 year i hopeSmile) a android version will be available.
Thanks again.
12-12-2012, 11:26
(12-12-2012 10:25)fabien44 Wrote:  I understand, it'up to you. But it's clear that within few months (less 1 year i hopeSmile) a android version will be available.
Thanks again.

Yes, I think I should be able to do this in less than a year. Smile Thanks for your interest in MinimServer.
23-02-2013, 11:18
Any news?