Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
11-02-2015, 22:58
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(11-02-2015 18:28)Martin H Wrote:  I am hearing Melco are also providing some new ethernet cables that are also making a difference. I can never quite get my head around how and why this can be the case unless you have a fundamental problem with your existing ethernet cables but I am told reliably that they are making an audible difference.

I think these are different to the ones that were initially supplied with the Melco but might also be suitable for Exakt systems .

Have you seen/heard these Simon?

These are different from the cables that come in the box with the Melco NAS. I did a comparison when I first auditioned the Melco NAS (see the last paragraph of this post).

As I understand it, these are good-quality Cat7 screened cables with screened Cat6/Cat6a connectors. You might get similar results from other good-quality screened Cat6/Cat6a/Cat7 cables. The best way to find out is to try it. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 03:03
(11-02-2015 22:58)simoncn Wrote:  These are different from the cables that come in the box with the Melco NAS. I did a comparison when I first auditioned the Melco NAS (see the last paragraph of this post).

As I understand it, these are good-quality Cat7 screened cables with screened Cat6/Cat6a connectors. You might get similar results from other good-quality screened Cat6/Cat6a/Cat7 cables. The best way to find out is to try it. Smile

I was just about to post that... CAT7 cables are excessively shielded to handle tight proximity and are certified for 10 Gbps; plenty spec'd for your audiophile needs :-)
13-02-2015, 16:13
Thanks both.

I can understand that the shielding can cause errors although I still struggle to comprehend fully how that effects sound quality as I would have thought it was more likely to be an all or nothing affair. But good folk are telling me good things and so I will just listen and let my ears tell me Smile I learnt a long time ago that a pre-conceived thought is barrier to discovery!
13-02-2015, 16:22
(13-02-2015 16:13)Martin H Wrote:  Thanks both.

I can understand that the shielding can cause errors although I still struggle to comprehend fully how that effects sound quality as I would have thought it was more likely to be an all or nothing affair. But good folk are telling me good things and so I will just listen and let my ears tell me Smile I learnt a long time ago that a pre-conceived thought is barrier to discovery!

There is something of an explanation on this page.
13-02-2015, 16:38
(13-02-2015 16:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 16:13)Martin H Wrote:  Thanks both.

There is something of an explanation on this page.

Thanks for the link. It is Hamish (the author) that has looked after us so well on our journey with Linn and I trust his opinion and that of his similarly awesome colleague David, above any other TBH. They have been an absolute joy to deal with at Sound Organisation.

on hi-fi sound above anyone I know.
09-03-2015, 08:47
(04-02-2015 00:09)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 14:59)simoncn Wrote:  I have been testing the N1Z. I will be exchanging it for an N1A soon and I will post my results from testing this.

I have just set up the N1A and started listening to it. First impressions are extremely positive with sound similar to the N1Z or possibly slightly better. This is from memory of how the N1Z sounded as I don't have it any longer.
Simon

Any further thoughts on differences between N1Z and N1A?

thanks

best
09-03-2015, 11:23
(09-03-2015 08:47)best Wrote:  Simon

Any further thoughts on differences between N1Z and N1A?

thanks

best

I can't compare these directly. I am very pleased with the sound from the N1A. From memory, it seems at least as good as the N1Z sounded.
13-03-2015, 18:22 (This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 18:24 by MNG.)
I found this thread very helpful as I was looking at buying a new NAS and was persuaded by this thread and one on the Linn forum to try out the N1A. I'm glad I did as the improvement that this unit brings is quite surprising and substantial.

Alan at Melco is a nice chap and he went out of his way to help me get things working - I had an issue where my streamer kept disappearing from view when connected to the N1A. Alan sorted this out with a firmware update which he brought round to my house on his way to a show. How's that for service?

Ironically, he was involved with developing the Chord DSX1000, which I own, as well as the Naim streamers. He told me about why the N1A does improve sound quality as well as the development plans that they have to improve functionality, which was all very interesting.

Overall, a very good purchase for me and I am very happy with the sound that I'm now getting. I'd definitely recommend trying one out if you are interested or curious.

Thanks Simon for your helpful comments in this thread and for Minimserver.
16-03-2015, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 16-03-2015 22:47 by Mihaylov.)
(09-12-2014 18:59)simoncn Wrote:  I'm currently listening to MinimServer running on this device.

It has a dedicated opto-isolated Ethernet port for direct connection to my player (a Linn Klimax DS/1) together with other high-quality componentry such as a low-jitter clock and a better-quality power supply.
Melco NAS has no "opto-isolated Ethernet port". I.e. Melco's ethernet port isn't opto-isolated. It is usual transformer-isolated ethernet port but with light-piped LEDs outside of the port screen for elimination of pollution from LEDs.

Also I couldn't find the "low-jitter clock" on main board of Melco NAS.
See photos inside of Melco N1Z here.
16-03-2015, 22:59
(16-03-2015 22:38)Mihaylov Wrote:  Melco NAS has no "opto-isolated Ethernet port". I.e. Melco's ethernet port isn't opto-isolated. It is usual transformer-isolated ethernet port but with light-piped LEDs outside of the port screen for elimination of pollution from LEDs.

Also I couldn't find the "low-jitter clock" on main board of Melco NAS.
See photos inside of Melco N1Z here.

I heard this from the Melco product manager. See this page.