Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to point MMS to a local directory?
11-12-2012, 21:54
How to point MMS to a local directory?
Hi there. I have my music mostly on a NAS, with Minimserver (MMS) running on a Mac Mini.

I also have some other music sitting in a local dir on ANOTHER Mac (so, NOT the same MAc Mini but my 27" iMac).

How do I point MMS to this local dir on the iMac? I need to identify this specific machine but I don't know how.

I think... I need something like this:

/[name of iMac27]/Users/Willem/Music/dirXXXX

My iMac uses the name "Imac27 van Willem" in my network but when I try to enter this in the MMS properties it doesn't work and tells me that I should enter a directory name.

I must be doing something wrong here :-)

Cheers, Willem
Netherlands
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 22:30 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 22:33 by simoncn.)
RE: How to point MMS to a local directory?
(11-12-2012 21:54)whgmkeller Wrote:  Hi there. I have my music mostly on a NAS, with Minimserver (MMS) running on a Mac Mini.

I also have some other music sitting in a local dir on ANOTHER Mac (so, NOT the same MAc Mini but my 27" iMac).

How do I point MMS to this local dir on the iMac? I need to identify this specific machine but I don't know how.

My iMac uses the name "Imac27 van Willem" in my network but when I try to enter this in the MMS properties it doesn't work and tells me that I should enter a directory name.

Cheers, Willem
Netherlands

There's some information about this in point 5 of the 'Installing or updating MinimServer' section of the Mac OS X installation page. Please follow the directions given there.

Edit: To get back to the dialog described in this section, delete the contentDir property and restart MinimServer. After you've entered the remote volume successfully using the dialog, you can look in the contentDir property for the correct syntax to use there.

MMS can stand for many things (see this page). I don't think it's helpful to use it as an abbreviation for MinimServer.
12-12-2012, 12:43
RE: How to point MMS to a local directory?
Thanks - it works now :-)
Cheers, Willem

(11-12-2012 22:30)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 21:54)whgmkeller Wrote:  Hi there. I have my music mostly on a NAS, with Minimserver (MMS) running on a Mac Mini.

Cheers, Willem
Netherlands

There's some information about this in point 5 of the 'Installing or updating MinimServer' section of the Mac OS X installation page. Please follow the directions given there.

Edit: To get back to the dialog described in this section, delete the contentDir property and restart MinimServer. After you've entered the remote volume successfully using the dialog, you can look in the contentDir property for the correct syntax to use there.

MMS can stand for many things (see this page). I don't think it's helpful to use it as an abbreviation for MinimServer.