Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding down
25-02-2015, 17:58
Transcoding down
Apologies if I have asked this before, but is there any way to transcode flac 24/192 tracks down to 24/96 or lower, preferably as a choice for some renderers that can't do the higher resolutions? From the user guide I gather this isn't possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2015, 18:05
RE: Transcoding down
(25-02-2015 17:58)Pastim Wrote:  Apologies if I have asked this before, but is there any way to transcode flac 24/192 tracks down to 24/96 or lower, preferably as a choice for some renderers that can't do the higher resolutions? From the user guide I gather this isn't possible.

You are correct that it isn't possible.
25-02-2015, 18:43
(25-02-2015 18:05)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 17:58)Pastim Wrote:  Apologies if I have asked this before, but is there any way to transcode flac 24/192 tracks down to 24/96 or lower, preferably as a choice for some renderers that can't do the higher resolutions? From the user guide I gather this isn't possible.

You are correct that it isn't possible.
Bother. So to play such tracks on one of my systems I have to make copies of the tracks myself at a lower resolution and file and index them separately.

'Tis a bit of a shame, given that I assume the converter (avconv or ffmpeg) could do it if it could optionally be put in the loop for flacs.

No matter. I have a different solution using LMS, but I always like to have 2 ways of doing things. Smile
04-03-2015, 21:11
(25-02-2015 18:43)Pastim Wrote:  Bother. So to play such tracks on one of my systems I have to make copies of the tracks myself at a lower resolution and file and index them separately.

'Tis a bit of a shame, given that I assume the converter (avconv or ffmpeg) could do it if it could optionally be put in the loop for flacs.

No matter. I have a different solution using LMS, but I always like to have 2 ways of doing things. Smile

This is now supported in MinimStreamer 0.5.5 and MinimServer update 60 (you need both of these).
04-03-2015, 22:46
(04-03-2015 21:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 18:43)Pastim Wrote:  Bother. So to play such tracks on one of my systems I have to make copies of the tracks myself at a lower resolution and file and index them separately.

This is now supported in MinimStreamer 0.5.5 and MinimServer update 60 (you need both of these).
Thanks very much indeed. I had a few attempts to install MinimServer 60 but it took eventually.

I do (inevitably - sorry) have a question.

I can't specify flac:wav24;192/wav24;96 (it is rejected), and so I assume that I have to set the transcoding to suit the least capable renderer that I have. Is that correct?

I tried flac:wav24;192/wav16;96 but that didn't work on my Marantz. Could that be the fault of the CP not checking the renderer capability well enough?
04-03-2015, 22:56
(04-03-2015 22:46)Pastim Wrote:  Thanks very much indeed. I had a few attempts to install MinimServer 60 but it took eventually.

I can't specify flac:wav24;192/wav24;96 (it is rejected), and so I assume that I have to set the transcoding to suit the least capable renderer that I have. Is that correct?

This is a bug and I will fix it in the next update. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Quote:I tried flac:wav24;192/wav16;96 but that didn't work on my Marantz. Could that be the fault of the CP not checking the renderer capability well enough?

This is a difficult area because the control point is unlikely to have enough information to know that the Marantz can't play a 24/192 WAV stream. The standard UPnP protocol enables the renderer to say whether it can play WAV, but that's as far as it goes.

The situation is better if the renderer supports LPCM (L16 or L24). In this case, the UPnP protocol does allow the renderer to tell the control point exactly what sample rates it can handle.

To check this out, you might like to try:

flac:L24;192/L16;96
04-03-2015, 23:36
(04-03-2015 22:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 22:46)Pastim Wrote:  Thanks very much indeed. I had a few attempts to install MinimServer 60 but it took eventually.

This is a bug and I will fix it in the next update. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Quote:I tried flac:wav24;192/wav16;96 but that didn't work on my Marantz. Could that be the fault of the CP not checking the renderer capability well enough?

This is a difficult area because the control point is unlikely to have enough information to know that the Marantz can't play a 24/192 WAV stream. The standard UPnP protocol enables the renderer to say whether it can play WAV, but that's as far as it goes.

The situation is better if the renderer supports LPCM (L16 or L24). In this case, the UPnP protocol does allow the renderer to tell the control point exactly what sample rates it can handle.

To check this out, you might like to try:

flac:L24;192/L16;96
I checked the Marantz spec with UPnP Inspector. It says it does up to L16;48. So I set the transcode to just "flac:L16;44" for a base-level test. That works with CD quality tracks, and with better ones such as 24/96, but not 24/192. That also seems to be the same when I just use the controls on the Marantz (cutting out any CP effects).
05-03-2015, 08:48
(04-03-2015 23:36)Pastim Wrote:  I checked the Marantz spec with UPnP Inspector. It says it does up to L16;48. So I set the transcode to just "flac:L16;44" for a base-level test. That works with CD quality tracks, and with better ones such as 24/96, but not 24/192. That also seems to be the same when I just use the controls on the Marantz (cutting out any CP effects).

This is caused by a bug in MinimServer update 60. I will release update 61 later today with a fix. Thanks for letting me know about this.
05-03-2015, 13:28
(05-03-2015 08:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 23:36)Pastim Wrote:  I checked the Marantz spec with UPnP Inspector. It says it does up to L16;48. So I set the transcode to just "flac:L16;44" for a base-level test. That works with CD quality tracks, and with better ones such as 24/96, but not 24/192. That also seems to be the same when I just use the controls on the Marantz (cutting out any CP effects).

This is caused by a bug in MinimServer update 60. I will release update 61 later today with a fix. Thanks for letting me know about this.
And thanks for your quick and straightforward responses to my sometimes daft queries. It is much appreciated.

I'll give it a whirl when available and report back.
05-03-2015, 13:46
(05-03-2015 13:28)Pastim Wrote:  And thanks for your quick and straightforward responses to my sometimes daft queries. It is much appreciated.

I'll give it a whirl when available and report back.

This fix is now available in update 61. You should now be able to do L16 or L24 transcoding with downsampling.

Thanks very much for your help with finding this problem!