Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions from an Asset user
18-02-2015, 03:23
A few questions from an Asset user
I installed MinimServer this afternoon as part of a new NAS install and figured it out fairly quickly. I have a few dumb questions, as I'm coming from a few years of using Asset.

1) In Asset, the library details show 3176 albums and 32938 tracks - in Minim the details are 2766 albums and 32938 tracks. Any thoughts on the album discrepancy?

2) Is there any way to eliminate the playlist count at the top level of Minim? It's strictly an aesthetic thing for me as I don't use playlists.

3) What's the difference between Artist and All Artists in the top level of Minim?

4) Is there any way to display Label instead of Organization in the top level of Minim? I have the mp3Tag issue with Label/Publisher/Organization and displaying Organization gets me the view I need. Again, this is an aesthetic issue.

5) Asset has a great feature where you can see the 50 most recent albums added to the database - is there any way to get a similar view in Minim?

6) How do I force a rebuild of the database? I make tagging mistakes which I later correct, but so far, a rescan doesn't update the listing.

Many thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 08:38 (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 08:40 by simoncn.)
RE: A few questions from an Asset user
(18-02-2015 03:23)knirpslinn Wrote:  I installed MinimServer this afternoon as part of a new NAS install and figured it out fairly quickly. I have a few dumb questions, as I'm coming from a few years of using Asset.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:1) In Asset, the library details show 3176 albums and 32938 tracks - in Minim the details are 2766 albums and 32938 tracks. Any thoughts on the album discrepancy?

This might be related to albums with multiple discs being seen as a single album by MinimServer or it might be caused by a tagging issue that is preventing some tracks being included in an album. You can check on the latter by looking for the [no album] line at the end of the "2766 albums" list. Have you checked the MinimServer log for warning messages?

Quote:2) Is there any way to eliminate the playlist count at the top level of Minim? It's strictly an aesthetic thing for me as I don't use playlists.

If you don't have any .m3u playlists in your library, this line won't appear.

Quote:3) What's the difference between Artist and All Artists in the top level of Minim?

See this section.

Quote:4) Is there any way to display Label instead of Organization in the top level of Minim? I have the mp3Tag issue with Label/Publisher/Organization and displaying Organization gets me the view I need. Again, this is an aesthetic issue.

See this section.

Quote:5) Asset has a great feature where you can see the 50 most recent albums added to the database - is there any way to get a similar view in Minim?

This is a planned future enhancement.

Quote:6) How do I force a rebuild of the database? I make tagging mistakes which I later correct, but so far, a rescan doesn't update the listing.

Many thanks in advance.

If Rescan isn't showing the new values, there are two possible reasons:

1) When you updated a tag value, your tagging program might not have updated the file's timestamp. (I believe this is the default setting in some tagging programs.) If MinimServer finds the file's timestamp and length haven't changed since the previous scan, it will use cached information for the file. To force all cache entries to be ignored, set the startupScan property to 'full' and do a Rescan. It would also be a good idea to change your tagging program's settings so that timestamps are updated.

2) Depending on which control point you are using, the out-of-date information might be in the control point's cache. To fix this, you need to clear the control point's cache.
18-02-2015, 16:44 (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 18:35 by knirpslinn.)
(18-02-2015 08:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 03:23)knirpslinn Wrote:  I installed MinimServer this afternoon as part of a new NAS install and figured it out fairly quickly. I have a few dumb questions, as I'm coming from a few years of using Asset.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:1) In Asset, the library details show 3176 albums and 32938 tracks - in Minim the details are 2766 albums and 32938 tracks. Any thoughts on the album discrepancy?

This might be related to albums with multiple discs being seen as a single album by MinimServer or it might be caused by a tagging issue that is preventing some tracks being included in an album. You can check on the latter by looking for the [no album] line at the end of the "2766 albums" list. Have you checked the MinimServer log for warning messages?

Quote:2) Is there any way to eliminate the playlist count at the top level of Minim? It's strictly an aesthetic thing for me as I don't use playlists.

If you don't have any .m3u playlists in your library, this line won't appear.

Quote:3) What's the difference between Artist and All Artists in the top level of Minim?

See this section.

Quote:4) Is there any way to display Label instead of Organization in the top level of Minim? I have the mp3Tag issue with Label/Publisher/Organization and displaying Organization gets me the view I need. Again, this is an aesthetic issue.

See this section.

Quote:5) Asset has a great feature where you can see the 50 most recent albums added to the database - is there any way to get a similar view in Minim?

This is a planned future enhancement.

Quote:6) How do I force a rebuild of the database? I make tagging mistakes which I later correct, but so far, a rescan doesn't update the listing.

Many thanks in advance.

If Rescan isn't showing the new values, there are two possible reasons:

1) When you updated a tag value, your tagging program might not have updated the file's timestamp. (I believe this is the default setting in some tagging programs.) If MinimServer finds the file's timestamp and length haven't changed since the previous scan, it will use cached information for the file. To force all cache entries to be ignored, set the startupScan property to 'full' and do a Rescan. It would also be a good idea to change your tagging program's settings so that timestamps are updated.

2) Depending on which control point you are using, the out-of-date information might be in the control point's cache. To fix this, you need to clear the control point's cache.

Thanks for the quick response - I've pretty much sorted it all out with these tips.

As it turns out, I didn't have any unknown albums, so I'm assuming the count difference comes down to the way MinimServer and Asset count albums.

I have a question about compilations. I added the indexTag for Compilation to properties and it returns the results I expected - "1" and "unknown".

Is there any way to have the "1" result read as "Yes" or "Compilation"?

I use Kinsky / Kazoo / PlugPlayer / SongbookLite and so far, everything reads MinimServer the same way.
18-02-2015, 19:30
(18-02-2015 16:44)knirpslinn Wrote:  I have a question about compilations. I added the indexTag for Compilation to properties and it returns the results I expected - "1" and "unknown".

Is there any way to have the "1" result read as "Yes" or "Compilation"?

I use Kinsky / Kazoo / PlugPlayer / SongbookLite and so far, everything reads MinimServer the same way.

MinimServer shows you the actual tag value. It isn't possible to change this.