Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC radio streams not working
16-02-2015, 21:54
RE: BBC radio streams not working
(16-02-2015 20:38)rk1919 Wrote:  Hi Simon
I've updated Minimstreamer and made an .m3u playlist containing your BBC URLs above. These show in my Naim control app, eg as [R3] BBC Radio 3, but won't play on my NDS. Is there something else I should be doing?

It seems that Naim streamers can't play ADTS AAC streams served by MinimServer. This might be caused by a MIME type mismatch but I can't find any information on this.

The stream will play if you transcode it to L16. To do this, add the 'aac' stream type to the playlist entry, for example:

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3;aac] BBC Radio 3
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

and add the following to the stream.transcode property:

aac:L16

After making these changes, do a MinimServer rescan and clear the Naim app's UPnP cache.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 21:57
(16-02-2015 21:12)Pastim Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 19:10)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 18:32)Pastim Wrote:  A day or two ago I also put in a line for minimserver on the BBC blogs on this topic, proposing it as a solution for those with Internet Radios that support UPnP but can't get the new feeds. I believe that's a lot of boxes.

Thanks! I've found the post. I think most people reading it would think that embracing UPnP (etc.) is too high a hurdle.

Actually, there's a much simpler way to use MinimStreamer to do this. If you know the MinimStreamer URL for the stream, you can add it to the custom station list in your internet radio. In my home, the URL for Radio 3 would be:

Code:
http://192.168.0.10:9790/minimstreamer/*/R3/http/a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
That's all you need! Smile
Great idea, but I'm not sure I can make it work. On my Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC I get a server error. I have used local sources before, but this one is not working for me. Vtuner expects me to say if it's an MP3 or WMA, and of course it is neither.

Any thoughts? Maybe if I can point the minimstreamer URL at a local playlist containing the BBC URL it might work? What syntax would I use?

If this can be made to work it would be an enormous boon to many people, and many might be happy to 'contribute' !

Edit: However, leaving the type as 'mp3' it does play on my Marantz, so there is hope for this solution for at least some players, and I'll have another go with my M1 CLiC later. Would you like me to mention this on the BBC blog or would you like to? Whatever we do we have to omit full URLs since they tend to edit them out, which makes life tricky.
If a minor tweak would allow the use of local IDs that would make life much easier. I tried changing the URL you quoted to read something like:

Code:
http://192.168.0.10:9790/minimstreamer/*/R3/file/.....

with the path to my m3u at ... but it didn't take.
16-02-2015, 22:02
(16-02-2015 21:12)Pastim Wrote:  Great idea, but I'm not sure I can make it work. On my Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC I get a server error. I have used local sources before, but this one is not working for me. Vtuner expects me to say if it's an MP3 or WMA, and of course it is neither.

Any thoughts? Maybe if I can point the minimstreamer URL at a local playlist containing the BBC URL it might work? What syntax would I use?

If this can be made to work it would be an enormous boon to many people, and many might be happy to 'contribute' !

Edit: However, leaving the type as 'mp3' it does play on my Marantz, so there is hope for this solution for at least some players, and I'll have another go with my M1 CLiC later. Would you like me to mention this on the BBC blog or would you like to? Whatever we do we have to omit full URLs since they tend to edit them out, which makes life tricky.

I am surprised that 'mp3' works as the stream is not an MP3 stream.

Please don't mention this on the BBC blog for now. This is a new way of using MinimStreamer (not via UPnP) and it needs more testing and better documentation before it is ready for a wider public. I would also like to implement the "short URL" idea first.
16-02-2015, 22:08 (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 22:12 by Pastim.)
(16-02-2015 22:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 21:12)Pastim Wrote:  Great idea, but I'm not sure I can make it work. On my Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC I get a server error. I have used local sources before, but this one is not working for me. Vtuner expects me to say if it's an MP3 or WMA, and of course it is neither.

I am surprised that 'mp3' works as the stream is not an MP3 stream.

Please don't mention this on the BBC blog for now. This is a new way of using MinimStreamer (not via UPnP) and it needs more testing and better documentation before it is ready for a wider public. I would also like to implement the "short URL" idea first.
Agreed. Just let me know via a post here or pm if you want me to publicise anything. The 'short URL' would be a great help to me.

Is there any way using the existing syntax to specify a local m3u that in turns point to the Beeb?

Edit: and yes, the mp3 setting is weird, but vTuner gives little choice. Both my players were OK with the old Radio 3 HD aac streams even though I said they were wma.
16-02-2015, 22:15
(16-02-2015 22:08)Pastim Wrote:  Agreed. Just let me know via a post here or pm if you want me to publicise anything. The 'short URL' would be a great help to me.

OK, will do.

Quote:Is there any way using the existing syntax to specify a local m3u that in turns point to the Beeb?

No, this isn't possible.

Quote:Edit: and yes, the mp3 setting is weird, but vTuner gives little choice. Both my players were OK with the old Radio 3 HD aac streams even though I said they were wma.

Weird indeed.
16-02-2015, 23:45
Okay - I'm completely baffled.

Installed on Win7 - ffmpeg installed - using the BBC m3u

No idea what I need to put in stream.transcode

I've tried aac:mp3

Nothing plays on android dnla/upnp renderers (which will play plain mp3 files on Minimserver)

Help needed
16-02-2015, 23:54
(16-02-2015 23:45)castalla Wrote:  Okay - I'm completely baffled.

Nothing plays on android dnla/upnp renderers (which will play plain mp3 files on Minimserver)

Help needed

You don't need ffmpeg and you shouldn't need anything in stream.transcode.

Which renderer(s) are you using?
16-02-2015, 23:57
(16-02-2015 23:54)simoncn Wrote:  

Help needed

You don't need ffmpeg and you shouldn't need anything in stream.transcode.

Which renderer(s) are you using?

UpnpPlay and stock dlna renderer on android 4

Without ffmpeg, how are the hls streams decoded?
17-02-2015, 00:00

Help needed
Can you post your playlist file here?
17-02-2015, 00:11
(17-02-2015 00:00)Pastim Wrote:  

Help needed
Can you post your playlist file here?

It's the same as the corrected BBC m3u posted here earlier