Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No sound when playing DSF file through SOTM -sms100 and AUdio-GD DAC NFB-7
11-02-2015, 23:56
No sound when playing DSF file through SOTM -sms100 and AUdio-GD DAC NFB-7
Hi everybody,

I need help to setup my systems based on SOTM-sms 100 feeding an Audio-GD NFB Dac by USB. The dac is with ESS Sabre 9018 DSD capable.
Playing PCM files is trouble free, but if I try a dsf file, I can see that the file is played but there is no sound!
I have tried with Logitech Media Server 7.9 with the DSD player plugin activated and the file type sate to native and dsdplay on LMS server side. On the SOTM side I have tried different values for the buffer and period count with squeeze lite activated without success :-(

I have also tried with minimserver combined with minimstreamer and the parameters dsf:dopwav and dff:dopwav, still no sound with dsf files.
What am I missing?
After few testing found that you can hear the sound but the volume level is very very low!Even to hear this, I have to almost set the volume knob on the preamp to the max and put ms ears very close to the speakers! Weird!
I have attached 2 log files, if they can help. these error messages are repeated in the entire log file
Thanks in advance

Serge

Attached File(s)
.log  Extract_Minimwatch.log (Size: 2.03 KB / Downloads: 2)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 07:59
RE: No sound when playing DSF file through SOTM -sms100 and AUdio-GD DAC NFB-7
(11-02-2015 23:56)Themask Wrote:  Hi everybody,

I need help to setup my systems based on SOTM-sms 100 feeding an Audio-GD NFB Dac by USB. The dac is with ESS Sabre 9018 DSD capable.
Playing PCM files is trouble free, but if I try a dsf file, I can see that the file is played but there is no sound!
I have tried with Logitech Media Server 7.9 with the DSD player plugin activated and the file type sate to native and dsdplay on LMS server side. On the SOTM side I have tried different values for the buffer and period count with squeeze lite activated without success :-(

I have also tried with minimserver combined with minimstreamer and the parameters dsf:dopwav and dff:dopwav, still no sound with dsf files.
What am I missing?
After few testing found that you can hear the sound but the volume level is very very low!Even to hear this, I have to almost set the volume knob on the preamp to the max and put ms ears very close to the speakers! Weird!
I have attached 2 log files, if they can help. these error messages are repeated in the entire log file
Thanks in advance

Serge

The error messages are caused by corruption in the FLAC file you are playing.

The low-level sound means that your renderer doesn't recognise the DoP/WAV format. Instead, it is playing the stream as if it were a WAV PCM stream.

Have you tried removing the dsf:dopwav and dff:dopwav settings and restarting MinimServer? This will send a native DSD stream to the renderer.
12-02-2015, 09:52
Hi,
thank you for your reply.
Which type of corruption, how to fix these corruptions?
I have tried first without the dsf, dff parameters, it didn't work so I tried with but same result: NOK
I will give it another try
I can play these flac files without problem.
Even when I set flac:wav24, the player still show the original sample rate like 44 Khz 16. It's like the transcoding is not working at all.
What about the java error....... Aborting transcoding....?

Once, during my different tests it worked but lot of micro cuts (drops)...

Does the SOTM streams only Dop or it can also stream native DSD?

Thanks
12-02-2015, 10:41
(12-02-2015 09:52)Themask Wrote:  Hi,
I have tried first without the dsf, dff parameters, it didn't work so I tried with but same result: NOK
Even when I set flac:wav24, the player still show the original sample rate like 44 Khz 16. It's like the transcoding is not working at all.

MinimStreamer is aborting transcoding because of the file corruption. The micro cuts are another symptom of file corruption.

Please upload one of these FLAC files to my FTP server and I will look at it. I will PM you the server details.

Quote:Does the SOTM streams only Dop or it can also stream native DSD?

Thanks

The best way to find out is to ask the SOTM manufacturer.
12-02-2015, 18:55
Hi Simon,

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't connect from my office (Firewall) :-(
I have just uploaded on of the files. Just let me know if you need more infos.
Thanks in advance

Serge
14-02-2015, 00:56
(12-02-2015 10:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 09:52)Themask Wrote:  Hi,

MinimStreamer is aborting transcoding because of the file corruption. The micro cuts are another symptom of file corruption.

Please upload one of these FLAC files to my FTP server and I will look at it. I will PM you the server details.

Quote:Does the SOTM streams only Dop or it can also stream native DSD?

Thanks

The best way to find out is to ask the SOTM manufacturer.

(12-02-2015 18:55)Themask Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't connect from my office (Firewall) :-(
I have just uploaded on of the files. Just let me know if you need more infos.
Thanks in advance

Serge

Here is the log file attached, when playing a dsf file. Still no sound :-(
Hope that this could help.

Thanks

Attached File(s)
.txt  Minim_log_Debug.txt (Size: 13.95 KB / Downloads: 2)
14-02-2015, 12:00 (This post was last modified: 14-02-2015 12:01 by simoncn.)
(14-02-2015 00:56)Themask Wrote:  Here is the log file attached, when playing a dsf file. Still no sound :-(
Hope that this could help.

Thanks

From this log file, it looks like you are using dsf:dopwav transcoding. As I explained in my earlier post, this isn't working because the renderer doesn't recognise the DoP/WAV stream format.
22-02-2015, 19:26
(12-02-2015 10:41)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer is aborting transcoding because of the file corruption. The micro cuts are another symptom of file corruption.

Thanks for doing this and apologies for taking so long to respond.

I have checked the file and it is not corrupt. It was encoded using a variable blocksize by the Flake encoder. The library used by MinimStreamer to decode FLAC files for transcoding is unfortunately unable to handle variable-blocksize FLAC files, so MinimStreamer doesn't support these files for transcoding.

You can convert the file to a fixed-blocksize FLAC file using dBpoweramp FLAC to FLAC conversion. I have tried this and verified that the converted file works with MinimStreamer WAV transcoding.