Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Start After Update?
15-01-2015, 18:46 (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 18:47 by Linn_agnostik.)
RE: Auto Start After Update?
me too (i.e. had to restart minim server post autoupdate of DSM)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 21:47
I did a manual update to DSM 5.1-5022 today and MinimServer failed to restart. I have informed my contact in Synology about this and I will post any information that I receive from him.
15-01-2015, 21:48
(15-01-2015 21:47)simoncn Wrote:  I did a manual update to DSM 5.1-5022 today and MinimServer failed to restart. I have informed my contact in Synology about this and I will post any information that I receive from him.

Good to know it's not only me even with auto enabled. I'm usually a decent beta tester. Big Grin
16-01-2015, 15:07
A simple work-around: I only do Synology updates at night when I'm done for the day. I have the Synology Scheduler configured to stop and restart Minimserver at 2:00 am. This ensures that it's always running in the morning, and also does a nightly rescan for music changes in case Ive forgotten something.
21-01-2015, 19:56
Same here on a DS-1512 - Minim Server quits it's work without any obvious reason.

I use Minim Server since about 3 or 4 months (I think shortly after Synology have offered it through package center) and found it stopping without any visible reason after 7 - 10 days. Then manual activation in Package Center and after a week waiting for not seeing Minim Server in n-stream, then opening DSM maintenance screen and once more finding out that it stopped working for unknown reasons. And: Synology's Log Center has not even taken notice of this event.

I never had DSM set to auto-update, but some Synology packages (like Video Station) were. Now auto-updates are completely disabled to find out whether this has any influence on Minim Server (perhaps Java is "irritated" if e.g. Photo Station is restarted after an update ?).

I recently bought a small QNAP TS-112P to find out how it performs if used as a dedicated UPnP server (running only Minim Server and Asset simultaneously). And guess what: The QNAP platform proves far more stable (80 days and more without reboot), performing unexpectedly good (e.g. after selecting another UPnP-server when submitting all album artwork to the control point) and always shows correct results (as to the numbers of albums and tracks - compared to a the results of a "dir ... /s" command on a PC - but more about this maybe later).

Some days ago I reported to Synology about the fact that Minim Server stopped for reasons I am unable to find out and asked for their support. Their answer was that they will not support 3rd party software generally - although your software is available from their package center. And it seemed to me that they were not even willing to search the technical log data I sent them to find a reason (that could - maybe - simply be avoided by the user).

But especially this reaction of Synology leaves the impression that the clients is left alone sitting between two chairs - why should they invest in better support since the client has already paid for the hardware (and more income from a private client is not visible on the horizon).

So I am waiting for the reply you will get from them, I hope your result - as a developer, who may help them for better sales figures - is better than mine (but anyway, it would not be difficult to gain a better result ;-) .

Maybe many of you see it different, but my actual opinion is that Synology’s software reliability and quality of their supports is degrading, however I’d like to hear of your impressions.

Any ideas how we can further deal with this matter ?
21-01-2015, 20:26
(21-01-2015 19:56)Niko Wrote:  Same here on a DS-1512 - Minim Server quits it's work without any obvious reason.

I use Minim Server since about 3 or 4 months (I think shortly after Synology have offered it through package center) and found it stopping without any visible reason after 7 - 10 days. Then manual activation in Package Center and after a week waiting for not seeing Minim Server in n-stream, then opening DSM maintenance screen and once more finding out that it stopped working for unknown reasons. And: Synology's Log Center has not even taken notice of this event.

The first step towards a solution is to download MinimServer 0.8.3 from this page, do a manual install on your Synology NAS and make sure you are on update 57. There is a fix in this update that might solve the problem with MinimServer stopping unexpectedly. For installation instructions, see this page.
22-01-2015, 12:01
(21-01-2015 20:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 19:56)Niko Wrote:  Same here on a DS-1512 - Minim Server quits it's work without any obvious reason.

The first step towards a solution is to download MinimServer 0.8.3 from this page, do a manual install on your Synology NAS and make sure you are on update 57. There is a fix in this update that might solve the problem with MinimServer stopping unexpectedly. For installation instructions, see this page.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I manually downloaded MinimServer 0.8.3, did a manual install and after starting it I found it is on update 57. Interested in what should happen after a NAS reboot I tried this as well, and - MinimServer auto-started after reboot had finished. This is as well a further improvement.

Now until MinimServer quits again for not obvious reasons, and if it does not, I think we can consider this issue as solved.

By the way, a found a small problem which I could solve on my own, but less experienced users may want to have this mentioned also in your installation instructions: If the package was downloaded manually from your web site, after starting the update and before the licence agreement is displayed, there might be a message displayed that the software has no signature, and the only option you have is to abort from the update.

In this case, the user should change the "confidence level" in Package Center under "General" to the last entry meaning "Any publisher" (or so - don't know which English term is used there since I am using the German version of QTS), which may be changed back to the previous setting after successful installation.

Once more, thank you for your support - you did what Synology's support center failed to do.
22-01-2015, 23:07
(22-01-2015 12:01)Niko Wrote:  Thank you for your prompt reply.

I manually downloaded MinimServer 0.8.3, did a manual install and after starting it I found it is on update 57. Interested in what should happen after a NAS reboot I tried this as well, and - MinimServer auto-started after reboot had finished. This is as well a further improvement.

Now until MinimServer quits again for not obvious reasons, and if it does not, I think we can consider this issue as solved.

OK, this sounds good.

Quote:By the way, a found a small problem which I could solve on my own, but less experienced users may want to have this mentioned also in your installation instructions: If the package was downloaded manually from your web site, after starting the update and before the licence agreement is displayed, there might be a message displayed that the software has no signature, and the only option you have is to abort from the update.

In this case, the user should change the "confidence level" in Package Center under "General" to the last entry meaning "Any publisher" (or so - don't know which English term is used there since I am using the German version of QTS), which may be changed back to the previous setting after successful installation.

Once more, thank you for your support - you did what Synology's support center failed to do.

This is already mentioned in point 4 of the "Installing or updating MinimServer" section on this page.
24-01-2015, 01:22 (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 01:26 by Niko.)
(22-01-2015 23:07)simoncn Wrote:  This is already mentioned in point 4 of the "Installing or updating MinimServer" section on this page.

Sorry Sir, followed your link and found you're right.

That reminds me of an experience made in my earlier days: More than thirty years ago in the office, a wiser collegue once said "If you publish written instructions and you want that the person reading them will surely not follow your recommendations, you just have to either print these in red color or mark them as important". And any time from then if such thing happened I remember the man who said this - he was just right, but up to now I don't know why ;-)
14-03-2015, 19:51
Has this issue been addressed? The 3/13 update worked fine but the one before that I did have to restart the package within Synology. Just curious.