Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No tracks in album, when browsed via artist
18-01-2015, 16:41 (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 18:50 by KilburnTowers.)
No tracks in album, when browsed via artist
Hi, I'm completely new to minimserver and this question is presumably out of ignorance! I'm also fairly new to MAC and found this software per chance after I couldn't get Firefly to work (which I had on my Windows PC)

I'm running the minimserver on MAC and I'm using a Pinnacle (Roku) soundbridge as the client.

If I browse the list of artists, I can see the songs by that artist.
If I browse an album, I can also see the songs within that album
HOWEVER, I browse the artist and then browse the album within that artist on my soundbridge, it returns an empty listHuh

e.g. if I browse The Beatles on my soundbridge as an artist and look up "All Matching Songs", I'll see every Beatles song I have. I will also see the album called "Revolver" but when I then look into "Revolver" there is nothing there. However, if I browse Revolver directly as an Album, the songs are there.
Here is a subset of the log, when scanning the directory:

Scanning directory David Gray
15:20:57.717 main: provisionally retaining cache entry for 'iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/David Gray/A New Day at Midnight/'
15:20:57.717 main: no cache entry for folder 'iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/David Gray/'
Scanning directory A New Day at Midnight
15:20:57.719 main: album=A New Day at Midnight albumArtist=David Gray artistType=4
Scanning directory White Ladder
15:20:57.721 main: album=White Ladder albumArtist=David Gray artistType=4

I'd be so grateful for any help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 22:43
RE: No tracks in album, when browsed via artist
(18-01-2015 16:41)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Hi, I'm completely new to minimserver and this question is presumably out of ignorance! I'm also fairly new to MAC and found this software per chance after I couldn't get Firefly to work (which I had on my Windows PC)

I'm running the minimserver on MAC and I'm using a Pinnacle (Roku) soundbridge as the client.

HOWEVER, I browse the artist and then browse the album within that artist on my soundbridge, it returns an empty listHuh

e.g. if I browse The Beatles on my soundbridge as an artist and look up "All Matching Songs", I'll see every Beatles song I have. I will also see the album called "Revolver" but when I then look into "Revolver" there is nothing there. However, if I browse Revolver directly as an Album, the songs are there.

I'm not familiar with the Roku SoundBridge. There might be some problem in the way the Roku is interacting with MinimServer when you browse your library. From your description, it sounds like the Roku is creating its own browse tree rather than using the browse tree provided by MinimServer.

Quote:Here is a subset of the log, when scanning the directory:

15:20:57.717 main: provisionally retaining cache entry for 'iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/David Gray/A New Day at Midnight/'
15:20:57.717 main: no cache entry for folder 'iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/David Gray/'
15:20:57.719 main: album=A New Day at Midnight albumArtist=David Gray artistType=4

This extract doesn't seem to be related to The Beatles or Revolver, so I'm not quite sure why you have posted it.

There might be some clues in the log entries that are produced when you are going through the browsing steps to show an album within an artist. Can you post these log entries for the browsing steps that cause the empty Revolver scenario that you mentioned?
18-01-2015, 23:13
(18-01-2015 22:43)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 16:41)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Hi, I'm completely new to minimserver and this question is presumably out of ignorance! I'm also fairly new to MAC and found this software per chance after I couldn't get Firefly to work (which I had on my Windows PC)

I'm not familiar with the Roku SoundBridge. There might be some problem in the way the Roku is interacting with MinimServer when you browse your library. From your description, it sounds like the Roku is creating its own browse tree rather than using the browse tree provided by MinimServer.

Quote:Here is a subset of the log, when scanning the directory:

This extract doesn't seem to be related to The Beatles or Revolver, so I'm not quite sure why you have posted it.

There might be some clues in the log entries that are produced when you are going through the browsing steps to show an album within an artist. Can you post these log entries for the browsing steps that cause the empty Revolver scenario that you mentioned?

Sorry - bad example.
But in terms of what's on the log: If I browse artist and select "David Gray" I will be presented with a couple of albums, including "White Ladder". When I select "White Ladder" there are no songs within it. (The message is 'Failed to load songs. The request was invalid'. However, if I browse album and select "White Ladder" (i.e. without going via the Artist field), that album will contain all the songs within it. Effectively, I can't go from artist to album to song.
19-01-2015, 10:24
(18-01-2015 23:13)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Sorry - bad example.
But in terms of what's on the log: If I browse artist and select "David Gray" I will be presented with a couple of albums, including "White Ladder". When I select "White Ladder" there are no songs within it. (The message is 'Failed to load songs. The request was invalid'. However, if I browse album and select "White Ladder" (i.e. without going via the Artist field), that album will contain all the songs within it. Effectively, I can't go from artist to album to song.

Please post the MinimServer log output that is produced while you are doing this browsing. To ensure that this log output contains the correct data, please follow these steps exactly:

1) Power off the Roku
2) Select Exit from the minim icon
3) Relaunch MinimServer
4) Wait for MinimServer startup to complete
5) From the minim icon,select 'Show log'
6) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
7) In the log window, click Clear
8) Leave the log window open
9) Power on the Roku
10) Browse to Artist > David Gray > Albums > White Ladder
11) While you are browsing, output should appear in the log window
12) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save the log data to a file
13) In the log window, change the logging level to Info
14) Zip the log file that you saved in step 11 and attach it to a post here

Many thanks!
19-01-2015, 23:42
(19-01-2015 10:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 23:13)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Sorry - bad example.

Please post the MinimServer log output that is produced while you are doing this browsing. To ensure that this log output contains the correct data, please follow these steps exactly:

1) Power off the Roku
2) Select Exit from the minim icon
3) Relaunch MinimServer
4) Wait for MinimServer startup to complete
5) From the minim icon,select 'Show log'
6) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
7) In the log window, click Clear
8) Leave the log window open
9) Power on the Roku
10) Browse to Artist > David Gray > Albums > White Ladder
11) While you are browsing, output should appear in the log window
12) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save the log data to a file
13) In the log window, change the logging level to Info
14) Zip the log file that you saved in step 11 and attach it to a post here

Many thanks!

Thank you - I have carried out the steps and attached the file.

Just to be clear - it's not just that one album, where this is happening; it's everything. Also, I tried the same with another server and the problem didn't occur, so it's something in the way I've configured minimserver.

Thank you for all your help; it's really appreciated.

Attached File(s)
.zip  TraceMinimServer.zip (Size: 10.21 KB / Downloads: 1)
20-01-2015, 00:37
(19-01-2015 23:42)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Thank you - I have carried out the steps and attached the file.

Just to be clear - it's not just that one album, where this is happening; it's everything. Also, I tried the same with another server and the problem didn't occur, so it's something in the way I've configured minimserver.

Thanks for doing this. I see the problem near the end of the log:

MinimServer: unsupported search query 'upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and @refID exists false and upnp:artist = "David Gray" and upnp:album = "White Ladder"'

This form of search query is quite unusual and MinimServer currently doesn't support it. I will investigate how I can remove this restriction.

Thanks very much for helping me find this problem.
20-01-2015, 08:57
(20-01-2015 00:37)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 23:42)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Thank you - I have carried out the steps and attached the file.

Thanks for doing this. I see the problem near the end of the log:

MinimServer: unsupported search query 'upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and @refID exists false and upnp:artist = "David Gray" and upnp:album = "White Ladder"'

This form of search query is quite unusual and MinimServer currently doesn't support it. I will investigate how I can remove this restriction.

Thanks very much for helping me find this problem.

Wow... It's really that unusual? I thought it was the same kind of tree search that iTunes does. Is it the fact that there are two arguments in the query? Anyway, what is your gut feel as to if this is solvable? And if so, are we talking weeks, months, years? What is the release cycle? Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging! But this could be perfect for me if the problem goes away!Wink
20-01-2015, 10:18
(20-01-2015 08:57)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Wow... It's really that unusual? I thought it was the same kind of tree search that iTunes does. Is it the fact that there are two arguments in the query? Anyway, what is your gut feel as to if this is solvable? And if so, are we talking weeks, months, years? What is the release cycle? Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging! But this could be perfect for me if the problem goes away!Wink

The query is unusual because of its last two arguments connected with "and". This is the first UPnP control point I have seen that does this. It is very common for such arguments to be connected with "or".

This is definitely solvable and I would hope to have a solution within weeks. (Note: this is not a firm commitment.)
20-01-2015, 22:30
(20-01-2015 10:18)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 08:57)KilburnTowers Wrote:  Wow... It's really that unusual? I thought it was the same kind of tree search that iTunes does. Is it the fact that there are two arguments in the query? Anyway, what is your gut feel as to if this is solvable? And if so, are we talking weeks, months, years? What is the release cycle? Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging! But this could be perfect for me if the problem goes away!Wink

The query is unusual because of its last two arguments connected with "and". This is the first UPnP control point I have seen that does this. It is very common for such arguments to be connected with "or".

This is definitely solvable and I would hope to have a solution within weeks. (Note: this is not a firm commitment.)

That would be terrific! So are users notified of fixes / upgrades?

p.s. I can't overstate how impressed I am with the responsiveness you've shown.
20-01-2015, 22:50
(20-01-2015 22:30)KilburnTowers Wrote:  That would be terrific! So are users notified of fixes / upgrades?

p.s. I can't overstate how impressed I am with the responsiveness you've shown.

I will post back here when this support is available. By default, updates are downloaded and installed automatically but you might not notice this has happened.