Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD and 44.1/16 only. Other bitrate PCM = silence...
02-01-2015, 10:05
Brick DSD and 44.1/16 only. Other bitrate PCM = silence...
Connected to my PS Audio Direct Stream via the PS Audio bridge (basically ethernet -> i2S) from my Mac mini running minimserver (0.8-update-54) + ministreamer-0.5 with stream.transcode = def:dopwav,dff:dopwav

I can play DSD64 (don't have any other rates right now) and 44.1/16 files. BUT I cannot play anything else apart from 44.1/16 and DSD64. It's crazy. I cannot play say Apple Lossless 96/24 files or any other sample rate for example. All this while this is happening, the display on my DAC just shows 44.1/16, the timing bar keeps moving but there's just no music coming out. Once I select another song which is ACTUALLY at 44.1/16 it starts playing again.

Can anyone let me know if I have something setup wrong? Is this something about the while stream.transcode thing? I'm not a Unix person so I'd really appreciate getting this thing set up right – to these ears, bridge sounds better than my USB set up.

All the files scanned okay when I start minimserver so I'm not sure what's going on.

Please help, many thanks in advance,

Chaiwat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 10:52
RE: DSD and 44.1/16 only. Other bitrate PCM = silence...
(02-01-2015 10:05)x838nwy Wrote:  Connected to my PS Audio Direct Stream via the PS Audio bridge (basically ethernet -> i2S) from my Mac mini running minimserver (0.8-update-54) + ministreamer-0.5 with stream.transcode = def:dopwav,dff:dopwav

I can play DSD64 (don't have any other rates right now) and 44.1/16 files. BUT I cannot play anything else apart from 44.1/16 and DSD64. It's crazy. I cannot play say Apple Lossless 96/24 files or any other sample rate for example. All this while this is happening, the display on my DAC just shows 44.1/16, the timing bar keeps moving but there's just no music coming out. Once I select another song which is ACTUALLY at 44.1/16 it starts playing again.

Can anyone let me know if I have something setup wrong? Is this something about the while stream.transcode thing? I'm not a Unix person so I'd really appreciate getting this thing set up right – to these ears, bridge sounds better than my USB set up.

All the files scanned okay when I start minimserver so I'm not sure what's going on.

Please help, many thanks in advance,

Chaiwat

This sounds like a problem with the PS Audio bridge. Perhaps you need to change some configuration setting there. Unless you have transcoding enabled, MinimServer will send files to the control point and renderer in their original native resolution.
02-01-2015, 11:06
Thank you Simon,

The thing is, there are no setting on PS bridge i'm aware of that are user-changable. However i will investigate.

The only transcode settings i have are the dsf and dff to dopwav. Do i need to enter anything else to tell minimstreamer NOT to transcode anything else? Also - and i know i'm clueless about these things - but how does one install avconv or ffmpeg? Might try transcoding just to see what happens.
02-01-2015, 12:55
(02-01-2015 11:06)x838nwy Wrote:  Thank you Simon,

The thing is, there are no setting on PS bridge i'm aware of that are user-changable. However i will investigate.

The only transcode settings i have are the dsf and dff to dopwav. Do i need to enter anything else to tell minimstreamer NOT to transcode anything else? Also - and i know i'm clueless about these things - but how does one install avconv or ffmpeg? Might try transcoding just to see what happens.

With your settings, all file types other than DFF and DSF won't be transcoded.

You can download an ffmpeg binary for the Mac from this site. Copy the downloaded file to your /usr/local/bin folder and MinimServer should find it.
02-01-2015, 12:57
Awesome. Thank you again!
Will give it a try and see what happens.
02-01-2015, 13:30
Hi Simon,

Looking deeper into the PS Audio bridge, on tracks that do play, it shows a sample rate of 44100. But on tracks that are problematic, it says sample rate is something silly like 30464 which is most likely incorrect.

The files that work will be mostly files I purchased from iTunes - looking in "Metadatics" a tagging app, they have information under "Bitrate" in the region of 2xx kbps, "Sample rate" = 44.100kHz, "Sample size" = --- whatever that means.

A file that doesn't will have "Bitrate" in the region of 2xxx kbps (an order of magnitude greater), "Sample rate" = 96.000kHz and "Sample Size" = 24.

From my unlearned position, might it be that for some reason, the server is sending something to the bridge with some incorrect information about the actual sample rate?

Thanks

C
02-01-2015, 13:47
BTW, getting it to *:wav doesn't work with tracks that didn't play previously Sad
02-01-2015, 16:22
(02-01-2015 13:30)x838nwy Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Looking deeper into the PS Audio bridge, on tracks that do play, it shows a sample rate of 44100. But on tracks that are problematic, it says sample rate is something silly like 30464 which is most likely incorrect.

The files that work will be mostly files I purchased from iTunes - looking in "Metadatics" a tagging app, they have information under "Bitrate" in the region of 2xx kbps, "Sample rate" = 44.100kHz, "Sample size" = --- whatever that means.

A file that doesn't will have "Bitrate" in the region of 2xxx kbps (an order of magnitude greater), "Sample rate" = 96.000kHz and "Sample Size" = 24.

From my unlearned position, might it be that for some reason, the server is sending something to the bridge with some incorrect information about the actual sample rate?

Thanks

C

I'm sure that MinimServer isn't sending incorrect information about the sample rate. The problem is related to the PS Audio bridge.

A 24-bit / 96000 kHz stereo file has a bitrate of 4608 kbps. It seems that the PS Audio bridge isn't able to handle this resolution. Perhaps there is a configuration setting in the PS Audio bridge that you can change to solve the problem. The best place to go for help on this is the PS Audio forum.
02-01-2015, 16:24
(02-01-2015 13:47)x838nwy Wrote:  BTW, getting it to *:wav doesn't work with tracks that didn't play previously Sad

Transcoding a 24/96000 file to WAV doesn't change the sample rate or bitrate. This confirms that the problem in the PS Audio bridge is related to the sample rate or bitrate rather than the file format.
02-01-2015, 16:38 (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 16:40 by x838nwy.)
Thank you Simon. I wasn't saying it was minimserver's problem - i was mainly checking things out. Obviously not all on the PS Audio forum are familiar to minimserver or at least it's rare to find people with same combination of server and dac so i thought i had best checked here simultaneously just in case there was anything i missed. The transcode thing was a vague attempt at maybe changing what is sent to the dac but as apparent it did not work.

I think I may have a failing bridge. There was a time when it played 96/24 fine although it's been a while. Another nail it its coffin is the fact that i just used minimserver to stream 96/24 to my oppo bluray player and it worked a charm. Minimserver and streamer are certainly not the culprit here. Thank you again for your help.

C