Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MinimServer & Naim NDX/n-Stream Playlists errors
26-11-2014, 08:55
Exclamation MinimServer & Naim NDX/n-Stream Playlists errors
MinimServer : 0.8.2 update 42 (running on up-to-date QNAP NAS TS-269 Pro)
MinimStreamer: 0.4.3 (running on up-to-date QNAP NAS TS-269 Pro)

Naim N-Stream: v4.2, Build 9940
Naim NDX: v3.23 (yes, stock version!), Firmware Version: 2.0.50.12943

Problem: whenever creating a playlist with the N-Stream app (which creates the playlist not on the MinimServer but on the Naim NDX renderer) the tracks get properly added and the playlist can be used. After a while (sometimes during the same day) some tracks if not all get lost and cannot be played anymore (title is no longer available or server is offline). Some of the tracks get a yellow exclamation mark in the N-Stream app, some a red/white cross and very seldom one single track is still playable.

I do not reboot/restart the NAS or the MinimServer, nor even rescan the music library or change it in any way.

And yes, restarting the N-Stream app and resetting/clearing the cache does not help.

My questions:
  1. is this a known problem?
  2. is MinimServer somehow re-arranging the tracks?
  3. what can I do to help tracking it down?
  4. how would one access and test such a playlist (i.e. the specific items) just to verify it's not a minimserver issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2014, 16:03
RE: MinimServer & Naim NDX/n-Stream Playlists errors
(26-11-2014 08:55)blinkeye Wrote:  is this a known problem?

I don't recall hearing a previous report of of this.

Quote:is MinimServer somehow re-arranging the tracks?

This won't happen unless you do a restart or rescan of MinimServer.

There are known issues when a VPN server is running on the QNAP. If you have this running, please try disabling it.

It is possible that the IP address of the QNAP is changing when its DHCP lease is renewed. This would cause all playlist entries to stop working. To make sure this isn't happening, you can add a reserved IP address for the QNAP in your router's DHCP tables.

Quote:what can I do to help tracking it down?

Are you able to browse to the tracks and play them (not using the playlist)? If this is working and the QNAP IP address hasn't changed, it is very unlikely to be a MinimServer problem.

Quote:how would one access and test such a playlist (i.e. the specific items) just to verify it's not a minimserver issue?

For this, you would need to get advice from someone with more Naim expertise than I have. You could try posting to the Naim forums.
26-11-2014, 17:28 (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 17:29 by blinkeye.)
Thanks a lot for the detailed and prompt reply.

(26-11-2014 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  There are known issues when a VPN server is running on the QNAP. If you have this running, please try disabling it.
I've read that in the forum and checked it before posting. There's no VPN server running on the QNAP.

(26-11-2014 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  It is possible that the IP address of the QNAP is changing when its DHCP lease is renewed. This would cause all playlist entries to stop working. To make sure this isn't happening, you can add a reserved IP address for the QNAP in your router's DHCP tables.
Good point, and yes, I've assigned a fixed IP on the router's DHCH settings. Also for the Naim NDX.

(26-11-2014 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  Are you able to browse to the tracks and play them (not using the playlist)? If this is working and the QNAP IP address hasn't changed, it is very unlikely to be a MinimServer problem.
Yes, directly selecting the songs is always working. Being not familiar with how a UPNP server exposes its resources to the network: how would I access and test an audio file to verify that it's location is not changed once it stopped working in the playlist?

(26-11-2014 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  For this, you would need to get advice from someone with more Naim expertise than I have. You could try posting to the Naim forums.
Thanks, I asked the wrong question (see previous question about how to access a scanned audio file to test its URI is not changing)
26-11-2014, 19:31 (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 19:31 by simoncn.)
(26-11-2014 17:28)blinkeye Wrote:  Yes, directly selecting the songs is always working. Being not familiar with how a UPNP server exposes its resources to the network: how would I access and test an audio file to verify that it's location is not changed once it stopped working in the playlist?

You can use Linn Kinsky for Windows or BubbleUPnP on Android to view the metadata URI when browsing any file in the library.

Alternatively, you can open the MinimServer log window and change the logging level to Debug. Leave the log window open and you will see all the URIs that the renderer is sending to the server.
28-11-2014, 16:42
I'm experiencing the same playlist issue with minimserver/naim app combination; I am using a Synology NAS with fixed IP address.

I typically add new music and rescan a few times a week, but haven't been able to come up with a clear pattern of actions that lead to the issue occuring. It doesn't happen with every playlist, but the majority.

I typically create a playlist for a new album (until the recently added feature is introduced to minimserver!) by selecting the album in naim's album view and select add to new playlist option

I have logged the problem with naim support as well.

Nick
28-11-2014, 16:55
(28-11-2014 16:42)stampie Wrote:  I have logged the problem with naim support as well.
Hi Nick, thanks for sharing. Could you post the link to the Naim support ticket?
03-12-2014, 01:05
(28-11-2014 16:55)blinkeye Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 16:42)stampie Wrote:  I have logged the problem with naim support as well.
Hi Nick, thanks for sharing. Could you post the link to the Naim support ticket?
There isn't one, it was logged through beta test group I am part of.
03-12-2014, 01:15 (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 01:22 by stampie.)
To aid deciphering this problem, I have attached two debug logs.

Playlist unavailable - this displays what minimserver is doing when selecting a playlist in the naim app that results in 'tracks unavailable' message

Playlist working - minimserver log when selecting a playlist works correctly.

192.168.0.102 - IP address for NAS
...113 - iPad running naim app
...110 - naim NDX streamer
...109 - Windows laptop (only running minimwatch, don't know why showing)

NB: All these are running with fixed IP addresses assigned by Asus router.

btw (I was playing The Who Live In Leeds at the same time, which may account for some of entries)

Perhaps Simon can shed some light on the root cause for us
thanks
Nick

Attached File(s)
.log  Playlist unavailable.log (Size: 9.94 KB / Downloads: 3)
.log  Playlist working.log (Size: 13.5 KB / Downloads: 3)
03-12-2014, 16:22
(03-12-2014 01:15)stampie Wrote:  To aid deciphering this problem, I have attached two debug logs.

Playlist unavailable - this displays what minimserver is doing when selecting a playlist in the naim app that results in 'tracks unavailable' message

btw (I was playing The Who Live In Leeds at the same time, which may account for some of entries)

thanks
Nick

Neither of these logs shows any attempts to play a track. The failure log shows some browsing requests and the success log shows some browsing requests and also some album art images being retrieved. There is no evidence of any problem with how MinimServer is responding to any requests.
03-12-2014, 17:12
(03-12-2014 16:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 01:15)stampie Wrote:  To aid deciphering this problem, I have attached two debug logs.

thanks
Nick

Neither of these logs shows any attempts to play a track. The failure log shows some browsing requests and the success log shows some browsing requests and also some album art images being retrieved. There is no evidence of any problem with how MinimServer is responding to any requests.

Thanks Simon. To clarify, at this point there is no play request. When selecting a playlist in the naim app, a list of the tracks is shown and a check is made to confirm the tracks are available. If the result is unavailable, then it wont let you actually try and play the tracks in question.

If you navigate to the track from album view it will play fine.

This sounds like an issue with the naim app to me.

Nick