Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer and SMB shares for music source
30-11-2014, 15:31 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 18:58 by rhoering.)
MinimServer and SMB shares for music source
Hi Simon,

Is adding support for smb file shares in the future feature list for MinimServer?

I have been able to mount and smb share to the file system and then point MinimServer at it but it would be lovely not to have to create mount points and the like.

If folks are interested I will post a fairly straight forward note on how to do this with cifs-utils (and samba of course).

BR,

Ron
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 18:45
RE: MinimServer and SMB shares for music source
(30-11-2014 15:31)rhoering Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Is adding support for smb file shares in the future feature list for MinimServer?

I have been able to mount and smb share to the file system and then point MinimServer at it but it would be lovely not to have to create mount points and the like.

If folks are interested I will post a fairly straight forward note on how to do this with cigs-utils (and samba of course).

BR,

Ron

Is this for Windows or Linux? On Windows, you can use a UNC path of the form \\host\share\path without needing to mount the share.
30-11-2014, 18:57
Hi Simon,

That is very cool. My current need is for Linux.

Thx,

Ron
30-11-2014, 19:03
(30-11-2014 18:57)rhoering Wrote:  Hi Simon,

That is very cool. My current need is for Linux.

Thx,

Ron

I don't think it is possible/practical to do this on Linux without mounting the CIFS share. You can set up this mount permanently by editing /etc/fstab as decribed in this article.
30-11-2014, 22:54
Simon,

That is funny. I was reading Surendra's article last night.

I will dig a bit further.

What I really want is to scan the SMB network looking for shares that match a given target such as "music" and present them in a pick list. Once picked, mount them automagically.

Ron
30-11-2014, 23:00
I just found this article. It is about SambaScanner and the author has a fairly tongue in check writing style.

http://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/s.../?menuid=6
01-12-2014, 08:18
(30-11-2014 23:00)rhoering Wrote:  I just found this article. It is about SambaScanner and the author has a fairly tongue in check writing style.

http://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/s.../?menuid=6

Thanks for the pointer. It is very unlikely that this tool (or anything similar) will be integrated into MinimServer.

Also, MinimServer doesn't perform well when using an SMB share across a network. The recommended setup is for the library to be on a local disk or a USB-attached disk.
02-12-2014, 01:00
Simon,

I tested MinimServer over SMB at you are right it was not so speedy to scan the directory but it seemed to play fine.

Ron
02-12-2014, 09:23
(02-12-2014 01:00)rhoering Wrote:  Simon,

I tested MinimServer over SMB at you are right it was not so speedy to scan the directory but it seemed to play fine.

Ron

This is what I would expect. There is something in the SMB protocol that adds significant overhead to the way MinimServer does scanning.
15-12-2014, 19:06
Simon,

Is there a limit of using only one (1) SMB share for the content directory on the Windows version?

Thx,

Ron