Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer & Naim n-Stream
21-10-2014, 11:47
MinimServer & Naim n-Stream
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to MinimServer, since I use to run Asset upnp on my Windows Server, which works very well with Naim's n-Stream to manage a real big collection of music for my NDX streamer.

Now, is MinimServer working with Naim's n-Stream without problems ? Is it a good choice for Naim streamers ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 11:56
RE: MinimServer & Naim n-Stream
(21-10-2014 11:47)candyman Wrote:  Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to MinimServer, since I use to run Asset upnp on my Windows Server, which works very well with Naim's n-Stream to manage a real big collection of music for my NDX streamer.

Now, is MinimServer working with Naim's n-Stream without problems ? Is it a good choice for Naim streamers ?

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer works OK with n-Stream. There are some issues with the new Naim app (the replacement for n-Stream) and I am working on a fix.
21-10-2014, 12:39
Thanks for your reply ! I'm glad to hear that Smile
22-10-2014, 08:06 (This post was last modified: 22-10-2014 08:28 by tpflug.)
(21-10-2014 11:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 11:47)candyman Wrote:  Hello,

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer works OK with n-Stream. There are some issues with the new Naim app (the replacement for n-Stream) and I am working on a fix.

Hey simon,

that is good to hear. I just set up minimserver on my thecus and tried to access it with nstream
on my iPad : no such luck. I can see it and access content provided by minimserver via
gupnp on my linux laptop just fine and can also play music through it. With vlc on the ipad
I did see minimserver as well (although it crashed because it probably isn't meant to
handle tons of content).

Either way this leads me to believe that minimserver is running correctly
per se but the naim app cannot see it. Which is weird because i'm /pretty/
certain that the naim app could in fact discover the server at one point.

do you have any ideas what i could try or is there any information i could
give you that would be helpful ? do you have access to a naim setup yourself?

EDIT: Turns out this is somehow related to minimserver running on the Thecus. When
I run minimserver on my my linux laptop the naim app will discover it just fine. The fact
remains though that other applications do detect minimserver running on the thecus though.
Any ideas?

EDIT 2: I just checked the status page of minimserver on my theucs. Status is "running"
and everything looks fine to me.

thanks,
-Tobi
24-10-2014, 00:06
(22-10-2014 08:06)tpflug Wrote:  [Hey simon,

that is good to hear. I just set up minimserver on my thecus and tried to access it with nstream
on my iPad : no such luck. I can see it and access content provided by minimserver via
gupnp on my linux laptop just fine and can also play music through it. With vlc on the ipad
I did see minimserver as well (although it crashed because it probably isn't meant to
handle tons of content).

Either way this leads me to believe that minimserver is running correctly
per se but the naim app cannot see it. Which is weird because i'm /pretty/
certain that the naim app could in fact discover the server at one point.

do you have any ideas what i could try or is there any information i could
give you that would be helpful ? do you have access to a naim setup yourself?

EDIT: Turns out this is somehow related to minimserver running on the Thecus. When
I run minimserver on my my linux laptop the naim app will discover it just fine. The fact
remains though that other applications do detect minimserver running on the thecus though.
Any ideas?

EDIT 2: I just checked the status page of minimserver on my theucs. Status is "running"
and everything looks fine to me.

thanks,
-Tobi

UPnP discovery can be a bit unreliable sometimes. I suggest you try force-quitting n-Stream on your iPad and then power the iPad off and on. After this, restart n-Stream and you might be lucky.

If this doesn't work, try changing the n-Stream UPnP compatibility mode setting.
01-11-2014, 22:24
I'm having a strange issue with the new naim app. I can search albums, tracks and playlists fine but it just hangs on artists and composer etc.

strange one, or is this a "known issue"?

SJB
01-11-2014, 22:31
(01-11-2014 22:24)Sloop John B Wrote:  I'm having a strange issue with the new naim app. I can search albums, tracks and playlists fine but it just hangs on artists and composer etc.

SJB

There are some known compatibility issues with MinimServer and the new Naim app. As a possible workaround, try clearing the Naim app cache. This might resolve the problem. I am working on some changes that should provide a better solution.
01-11-2014, 23:08
(01-11-2014 22:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 22:24)Sloop John B Wrote:  I'm having a strange issue with the new naim app. I can search albums, tracks and playlists fine but it just hangs on artists and composer etc.

SJB

There are some known compatibility issues with MinimServer and the new Naim app. As a possible workaround, try clearing the Naim app cache. This might resolve the problem. I am working on some changes that should provide a better solution.

Thanks, clearing the image cache and resetting the app seems to have sorted that.

SJB
16-12-2014, 07:02
Hi simoncn,

Is the new minimserver 0.83 incorporated changes to work better with naim app?Reason I'm asking is I have on many occasions naim app cannot find minimserver when i click on the upnp icon on the app.

e.g 1, listening to spotify, click on upnp cannot find server. Restarted laptop and all is well.

e.g 2. While listening to some track on upnp and when i click back to all albums, naim app hangs there and lost connection to minimserver. Click on app upnp icon again and the app is trying to search for minimserver without success. Everytime I restarted laptop all is well.

I am not sure if this is a naim app or minimserver issue but it seems you know of some pending problems between naim app and minimserver.

Thanks for any adivise.
16-12-2014, 09:38
(16-12-2014 07:02)kaydee6 Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

Is the new minimserver 0.83 incorporated changes to work better with naim app?Reason I'm asking is I have on many occasions naim app cannot find minimserver when i click on the upnp icon on the app.

e.g 1, listening to spotify, click on upnp cannot find server. Restarted laptop and all is well.

e.g 2. While listening to some track on upnp and when i click back to all albums, naim app hangs there and lost connection to minimserver. Click on app upnp icon again and the app is trying to search for minimserver without success. Everytime I restarted laptop all is well.

I am not sure if this is a naim app or minimserver issue but it seems you know of some pending problems between naim app and minimserver.

Thanks for any adivise.

These problems are usually caused by network multicast issues. There aren't any changes in 0.8.3 that would make a difference to this. The other possibility is an issue with the Naim app. I have had similar problems with the Naim app sometimes not being able to find the Naim streamer.

There is a fix in 0.8.3 for a problem that could cause incorrect cached browsing results to be shown by the Naim app. This isn't related to the problems you are having.

What platform are you using to run MinimServer? If it is a NAS, do you have a VPN server running on the NAS? This can cause network discovery problems.