Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A full function linux control point?
06-10-2014, 12:15
RE: A full function linux control point?
(06-10-2014 07:44)simoncn Wrote:  The upplay Linux machine is connected wirelessly and all other devices are wired. Discovery is working well for all servers and control points on my network except upplay. I will try upnp-inspector and let you know what happens. I will also try connecting the upplay machine using a wired connection to see whether that helps.

I tried upnp-inspector and it finds all servers and renderers. All my attempts with upplay today have found no servers or renderers. I get the same results with a wired connection and a wireless connection.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 12:20
(06-10-2014 12:15)simoncn Wrote:  I tried upnp-inspector and it finds all servers and renderers. All my attempts with upplay today have found no servers or renderers. I get the same results with a wired connection and a wireless connection.

I am seeing the following messages on the console:

dirbrowser/cdbrowser.cpp:343::CDBrowser::serversPage: getDeviceDescs failed
libupnpp/control/discovery.cxx:222::discoExplorer :-204: UPNP_E_SOCKET_CONNECT

The latter message repeats at intervals. Are these normal or might they be related to the discovery problem?
06-10-2014, 13:18
(06-10-2014 09:17)Pastim Wrote:  I'm not sure if this is a feature of the latest release, but I currently can't seem to get tracks to play consecutively. It stops at the end of each track. I certainly managed to play several tracks sequentially with the previous version. Is there some option somewhere I've missed?

No, this should work automatically (of course...).

(06-10-2014 09:17)Pastim Wrote:  A nice to have would be to be able to move to any point in a track using the slider. If you try to do this the slider moves according to where you move the mouse, but then snaps back to where it was.

Yes, I found a bug with this this morning, and the same issue could also explain why the tracks are not switching. This is all dependant on the type of renderer, as far as I can see. Maybe the cases where it actually worked were using your other renderer?

The problem is that I had tested mostly with upmpdcli, both in AVTransport and OpenHome mode. This configuration shows none of these upplay bugs.

I need to test on as many renderers as I can put my hands on, and fix the problems which occur depending on different renderer behaviour. Meanwhile, I feel that you are losing too much time with this, maybe it would be better to wait until I have fixed a sufficient bunch, at which point I'll post on the forum.

Meanwhile, making progress, the volume control, and missing renderer at startup issues are now fixed in the code...
06-10-2014, 13:24
(06-10-2014 12:20)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 12:15)simoncn Wrote:  I tried upnp-inspector and it finds all servers and renderers. All my attempts with upplay today have found no servers or renderers. I get the same results with a wired connection and a wireless connection.

I am seeing the following messages on the console:

dirbrowser/cdbrowser.cpp:343::CDBrowser::serversPage: getDeviceDescs failed
libupnpp/control/discovery.cxx:222::discoExplorer :-204: UPNP_E_SOCKET_CONNECT

The latter message repeats at intervals. Are these normal or might they be related to the discovery problem?

No, the messages are not normal, and they are probably the reason for the problem. It's probably not processing the network config properly. I'm going to check this on a laptop with multiple interfaces, I guess I should be able to reproduce and fix the problem.

Meanwhile, as I wrote just before, don't lose more of your time, it is quite obvious that I need to test on much more diverse configurations. I'll post to the forum again when I have a version which hopefully solves all the blocking issues which have been seen at this point.

Thanks for the time you spent on testing this, hopefully it will become worth your while not too far in the future !

jf
06-10-2014, 13:37
(06-10-2014 13:18)medoc92 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 09:17)Pastim Wrote:  I'm not sure if this is a feature of the latest release, but I currently can't seem to get tracks to play consecutively. It stops at the end of each track. I certainly managed to play several tracks sequentially with the previous version. Is there some option somewhere I've missed?

No, this should work automatically (of course...).

(06-10-2014 09:17)Pastim Wrote:  A nice to have would be to be able to move to any point in a track using the slider. If you try to do this the slider moves according to where you move the mouse, but then snaps back to where it was.

Yes, I found a bug with this this morning, and the same issue could also explain why the tracks are not switching. This is all dependant on the type of renderer, as far as I can see. Maybe the cases where it actually worked were using your other renderer?

The problem is that I had tested mostly with upmpdcli, both in AVTransport and OpenHome mode. This configuration shows none of these upplay bugs.

I need to test on as many renderers as I can put my hands on, and fix the problems which occur depending on different renderer behaviour. Meanwhile, I feel that you are losing too much time with this, maybe it would be better to wait until I have fixed a sufficient bunch, at which point I'll post on the forum.

Meanwhile, making progress, the volume control, and missing renderer at startup issues are now fixed in the code...
It's up to you. I'm happy to try new versions from time to time if you don't mind the feedback. It may help you to get more wrinkles out than testing on your own, since we all have different combinations of systems.

I think simoncn's problems are much more serious, since he can't test if he can't see any renderers.
06-10-2014, 17:44
(06-10-2014 13:37)Pastim Wrote:  It's up to you. I'm happy to try new versions from time to time if you don't mind the feedback. It may help you to get more wrinkles out than testing on your own, since we all have different combinations of systems.

I think simoncn's problems are much more serious, since he can't test if he can't see any renderers.

I'm very glad of the feedback, but I am aware that I did not test enough on different renderers before getting this to you. I need to spend a little time and get this at least to a decent level of usability (e.g. actually playing the next track!) before I make you waste more time.

simoncn's problem is probably simpler than it looks, the code is probably not selecting the right network interface, I think that I had similar problems with upmpdcli at some point, this should not be hard to fix.

So I hope to be back in a few days with a better testing base if there are still any volunteers Smile

jf
06-10-2014, 17:51
I look forward to a new improved version!
06-10-2014, 19:19
(06-10-2014 17:51)Pastim Wrote:  I look forward to a new improved version!

I am happy to test it as well. From the early days of MinimServer, I understand the difficulty of anticipating all the configurations that other users will have.
07-10-2014, 15:59
Hi again,

There is a new version available.

You need:

upmpdcli 0.8.2 from here: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads.html

And

upplay 0.1.2 from here: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upplay/downloads.html

This should hopefully fix volume control and track transition issues, and it also has better resizing of the window, with an adjustable split between playlist and library.

On the networking issue, (simoncn), unfortunately, and unexpectedly, I was unable to reproduce the problem. The message you see occurs when upplay tries to download the description document from the server or renderer, the first phase works normally (the devices are discovered), so this can't be a "stupid" networking issue.

The new version has improved error messages, at least printing the URL which we are trying to download, so this might help. Also it is possible to print a much more verbose log by starting it as:

UPPLAY_LOGLEVEL=5 upplay

If you could do this up to the point where it does not find the devices, then kill it and send the log to me (jf at dockes .org), maybe I'll be able to see something. This is really weird.

Cheers,

jf
07-10-2014, 16:57
Very good!

On one renderer (and I'll try the other later tonight):

- it starts even if the renderer is off and asks me which to use. I can cancel, wait for the renderer to start and then change device. Perfect.
- volume control works
- sequential tracks play
- windows can be resized (really useful!)
- but I can't change position within a track - I don't do this very often except when testing sequential tracks

A more difficult problem is one I've been trying to work out with simoncn. As I understand it minimsever presents 'containers' that contain potentially several ways to get at the same tracks (via different tags), and even links to whole albums containing other tracks as well. If I choose such a container in upplay I get loads of duplicate tracks and several I don't want. simoncn told me most control points do this but do not need to. I believe what they should do is just request the container once, rather than inspect its contents and send several separate requests.

I don't know if the above makes sense, but maybe you could pm simoncn for details.

If this makes no sense (and I wouldn't be surprised since I've bashed my head against the wall about it for some time), ask, and I'll try to give a really clear example of what I mean.

It's very close to being very usable indeed for me on 14.04. Smile