Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux client
14-11-2012, 20:21 (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 20:33 by audiomuze.)
Linux client
Hi

First post here - I stumbled on MinimServer whilst looking for a means to interact with my music collection in a more sophisticated way than browsing by artist, album, genre or year.

Ideally I'd love to be able to browse and queue subsets of my library based on multiple criteria e.g. one or more genres and one or more years, similar artists/albums etc. (limited only by the extent of metadata in tags -- my library is rich in metadata) and I'm hoping MinimServer affords this kind of flexibility.

As I run Linux at home I'm hoping someone can recommend a good front-end?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 20:35
RE: Linux client
(14-11-2012 20:21)audiomuze Wrote:  Hi

First post here - I stumbled on MinimServer whilst looking for a means to interact with my music collection in a more sophisticated way than browsing by artist, album, genre or year.

Ideally I'd love to be able to browse and queue subsets of my library based on multiple criteria e.g. one or more genres and one or more years, similar artists/albums etc. (limited only by the extent of metadata in tags and I'm hoping MinimServer affords this kind of flexibility.

It will give you some of this at the moment, and more in the future. Smile

Quote:As I run Linux at home I'm hoping someone can recommend a good front-end?

By "front end" I assume you mean the control point. I only use Linux for server testing, so I don't have any experience with this. I think there's a version of Linn Kinsky for Linux. Other people may be able to suggest additional options.
15-11-2012, 05:20 (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 06:14 by audiomuze.)
I was referring to a control point, thanks - have since installed Kinsky on my laptop to experiment with. Coming from a Squeezebox environment I'm hoping that ultimately everything can be done using a smartphone or tablet - don't want to be tied to a PC for music control/ playback. I'm currently using iPeng for iPhone and iPad, albeit I'll be switching to an Android tablet soon.

As an aside I've been quite closely involved with the development (not the coding aspect) of an open source Linux based tagger coded in Python and loosely modelled on mp3tag. puddletag is a great fit for anyone moving from a Windows to a Linux environment or looking for a full featured and intuitive tagger for Linux. I mention it here only because it's a great tagger for anyone serious about their music collection as I'm guessing users of MinimServer fall into this category.
15-11-2012, 10:17
(15-11-2012 05:20)audiomuze Wrote:  I was referring to a control point, thanks - have since installed Kinsky on my laptop to experiment with. Coming from a Squeezebox environment I'm hoping that ultimately everything can be done using a smartphone or tablet - don't want to be tied to a PC for music control/ playback. I'm currently using iPeng for iPhone and iPad, albeit I'll be switching to an Android tablet soon.

Kinsky supports iPhone/iPod/iPad, and there's a beta version for Android. Another excellent option for Android is BubbleDS (for Linn DS players) and Bubble UPnP (for UPnP media renderers).

Quote:As an aside I've been quite closely involved with the development (not the coding aspect) of an open source Linux based tagger coded in Python and loosely modelled on mp3tag. puddletag is a great fit for anyone moving from a Windows to a Linux environment or looking for a full featured and intuitive tagger for Linux. I mention it here only because it's a great tagger for anyone serious about their music collection as I'm guessing users of MinimServer fall into this category.

I've heard good reports of puddletag. The main reason I created MinimServer was to support more advanced ways of tagging and browsing. I see you've already found the Music Tagging forum. Smile