Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim Server on QNAP TS 219P 11
13-11-2012, 23:14
Minim Server on QNAP TS 219P 11
Hi everyone,

I have today set up a NAS, having merely used my computer for the last six weeks, and I am completely lost. I have followed the QNAP installation guide to the letter, but am unable to see Minimserver on my control point.
The only thing I noted is that there are two different downloads depending on which processor is in the QNAP i.e. Intel or ARM. I have neither - my
processor is stated as Marvel. Is this my problem.

I can see Minimserver in the QPKG on the NAS admin pages and the icon is green, but as I say it is not showing up on my iPad.Twonky is showing up, with no songs, but Minimserver is what I want.

Can anyone help - please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 23:30
RE: Minim Server on QNAP TS 219P 11
(13-11-2012 23:14)GOCUS Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I have today set up a NAS, having merely used my computer for the last six weeks, and I am completely lost. I have followed the QNAP installation guide to the letter, but am unable to see Minimserver on my control point.
The only thing I noted is that there are two different downloads depending on which processor is in the QNAP i.e. Intel or ARM. I have neither - my
processor is stated as Marvel. Is this my problem.

This is an ARM processor. On this page, there's a list (hopefully complete) of which QNAP models have ARM processors and which have Intel processors. Did you install the JRE for ARM and the ARM version of MinimServer?

Quote:I can see Minimserver in the QPKG on the NAS admin pages and the icon is green, but as I say it is not showing up on my iPad.Twonky is showing up, with no songs, but Minimserver is what I want.

Can anyone help - please.

Are there any messages in the QNAP system log?

It's worth rebooting the NAS to see if that helps. If it's still not working, look in the QNAP system log to see if there are any messages. You should also look for messages in the minimserver.log file in the Public share of the QNAP, and check to see if there are any files named minimserver-crash-* in the Public share of the QNAP.
14-11-2012, 00:02
(13-11-2012 23:30)simoncn Wrote:  Are there any messages in the QNAP system log?

It's worth rebooting the NAS to see if that helps. If it's still not working, look in the QNAP system log to see if there are any messages. You should also look for messages in the minimserver.log file in the Public share of the QNAP, and check to see if there are any files named minimserver-crash-* in the Public share of the QNAP.

From the symptoms you described, I think MinimServer may have crashed shortly after startup. If this is the case, there may be useful information about this crash either in the NAS file /tmp/minimserver-sh.log or in a NAS file named /tmp/minimserver-out-nnnn.log where nnnn is a numeric process ID. You can see these files by logging into the NAS using SSH, or by using a Windows graphical client such as WinSCP.
14-11-2012, 09:18 (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 09:28 by GOCUS.)
Good Morning Simon,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded Oracle Java SE all as per the install guide, however I have realised this morning that in the next step I have wrongly dowloaded

-0.63-x86.qpkg instead of -0.63-arm.qpkg. ( at the install guide starting "Installing Minimserver")

Could you advise how I fix this?

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

Gordon.
14-11-2012, 10:19
(14-11-2012 09:18)GOCUS Wrote:  Good Morning Simon,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded Oracle Java SE all as per the install guide, however I have realised this morning that in the next step I have wrongly dowloaded

-0.63-x86.qpkg instead of -0.63-arm.qpkg. ( at the install guide starting "Installing Minimserver")

Could you advise how I fix this?

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

Gordon.

If you have already installed the MinimServer x86 QPKG, you should remove this QPKG (using the Remove link in the QPKG Center) and then install the MinimServer ARM QPKG.

Please let me know if this enables MinimServer to start successfully and show up on your iPad.
15-11-2012, 13:46
Hi Simon,

I deleted the 86 package and installed the arm version late last night, and hey presto it worked. Thank you for your advise.

Can I ask you one more question please. How do I access the properties/preferences of Minimserver so I can select transcoding.Am I right in saying transcoding will upscale a CD rip from 16MB to 24MB?

Regards,

Gordon.
15-11-2012, 14:29
(15-11-2012 13:46)GOCUS Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I deleted the 86 package and installed the arm version late last night, and hey presto it worked. Thank you for your advise.

Can I ask you one more question please. How do I access the properties/preferences of Minimserver so I can select transcoding.Am I right in saying transcoding will upscale a CD rip from 16MB to 24MB?

Regards,

Gordon.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

To access the properties, you need to install MinimWatch on any computer on your local network. When you launch MinimWatch, you'll see a minim icon in the system tray. This icon gives you access to the MinimServer properties.

You can set the transcode property to upscale the sample size from 16 bits to 24 bits (not the same as MB). This doesn't add any musical information, but some people have found that it sounds better.
15-11-2012, 20:24
Hi Simon,

I spoke too soon.
All I have done today is ripped another album to the same location i.e. Multimedia on the Nas - same as i did with the album yesterday.I can see
the album has been copied.When I open Minimserver on my iPad, only yesterdays album is showing up.I have restarted the Nas under Twonky admin page, but there is no sign of new album??

Can u help?

Gordon.
15-11-2012, 22:53
(15-11-2012 20:24)GOCUS Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I spoke too soon.
All I have done today is ripped another album to the same location i.e. Multimedia on the Nas - same as i did with the album yesterday.I can see
the album has been copied.When I open Minimserver on my iPad, only yesterdays album is showing up.I have restarted the Nas under Twonky admin page, but there is no sign of new album??

Can u help?

Gordon.

You need to install MinimWatch on another computer, then select Restart from the MinimWatch menu. This will rescan your library for new music.
16-11-2012, 12:54
Hi Simon,

Yes this has worked for me - thank you so much!!
Now I know I am pushing my luck, but could I ask you a non Minimserver question please!! My Q nap Nas is wired to my Sky router.On my MAC when I go into the Finder, the Nas only shows up sometimes under Shared, other times it does not.I need it to show up so I can go into Multimedia and put the Album downloads into folders.When I launch Q Finder, the software for the Nas, it launches the config page only, but as I said I need to access the Nas directly from Finder. Do you know why this is happening at all?

Regards,

Gordon.