Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Directory for synology 213
12-08-2014, 21:29
Music Directory for synology 213
Hello,
I installed Minim server and appropriate Java on the NAS it is shows running.
I paste the music directoy path /volume1/music into the MinimSever status page as directed which moves the Media server status for the diskstation to Restarting.
It will eventually time out and a read "error" on the status page.

I moved my DSD file into the minimserver folder and appeared to link.
However I could not see the file in the DS app iPad App.

Questions. WHy isn't it linking? I do have a mixture of file folders under Music DSD, Flac, HD tracks, and iTunes. Is there some issue with that?

Second should we get that step completed will these files appear as they did previously on the iPad APP DS for Synology?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 22:26
RE: Music Directory for synology 213
(12-08-2014 21:29)dwight@fidelisav.com Wrote:  Hello,
I installed Minim server and appropriate Java on the NAS it is shows running.
I paste the music directoy path /volume1/music into the MinimSever status page as directed which moves the Media server status for the diskstation to Restarting.
It will eventually time out and a read "error" on the status page.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I'm not quite sure what error you are seeing. Does the status page show the MinimServer status as 'Error' or are you getting an error from the browser when you try to view the status page? If you are unable to view the status page in a browser, this might mean that MinimServer has crashed.

Quote:I moved my DSD file into the minimserver folder and appeared to link.
However I could not see the file in the DS app iPad App.

Questions. WHy isn't it linking? I do have a mixture of file folders under Music DSD, Flac, HD tracks, and iTunes. Is there some issue with that?

I'm not sure what you mean by "linking". Can you explain what happened when it "appeared to link"?

Quote:Second should we get that step completed will these files appear as they did previously on the iPad APP DS for Synology?

You will need to use a UPnP control point app to view and play the files.
13-08-2014, 00:31
Which UPnP app would be recommended if the iPad DS app is not capable of rendering DSD?

This would be another iPad compatible App such as Plug Player which I prefer not to use.
13-08-2014, 08:55
(13-08-2014 00:31)dwight@fidelisav.com Wrote:  Which UPnP app would be recommended if the iPad DS app is not capable of rendering DSD?

This would be another iPad compatible App such as Plug Player which I prefer not to use.

Are you looking for an app that can render a DSD stream directly on an iPad rather than acting as a UPnP control point for an external renderer? If so, I doubt that you will find any app that can do this because the app would need to transcode DSD to PCM for playback on the iPad (not a simple task).
13-08-2014, 19:36
(13-08-2014 00:31)dwight@fidelisav.com Wrote:  Which UPnP app would be recommended if the iPad DS app is not capable of rendering DSD?
1) Just to confirm: your DAC is capable of playing DSD files, right?
2) You probably need to enable playback of DSD files via DoP. I suspect (although I haven't tried) that Synology's iPad app can't handle DSD natively. To do this, you need to install MinimStreamer (if not already done). Then right-click on the MinimWatch icon, Properties, System, and in the stream.transcode field enter dsf:dopwav,dff:dopwav

Hope this helps!
23-08-2014, 21:48
I have MinimServer running and can start Minim Watch but it isn't available in the Applications portion of my Macbook.

I have appropriate Minim server and Java running on the Synology. The Synology DS software does not recognize DSD.
I'm trying to follow the instructions for installing Minim Streamer but I'm really unsure on how this is accomplished?
I log into the Synolgy and I can see Minimserver is running version 0.8.2.
According to the instructions I should see some way of managing packages and Minim stream should be available to me . I do not see it either through the sinology management portal or through finder.

I have several DSD capable renderers including a CH Precison. Is this SW capable of displaying and rendering through a handheld device iPad? I'm kind of stuck and there is probably some thing I'm missing in this package?
So to recap I have a macbook pro I installed Minimserver on a Synology DS213, I have it on my ethernet. I want to render using the server and I cannot seem to locate and install Minim Streamer nor do I have a clear understadnig on how my iPad can be used as the interface. The Synology DS software does not recognize DSD files.
24-08-2014, 13:39 (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 13:57 by simoncn.)
(23-08-2014 21:48)dwight@fidelisav.com Wrote:  I have MinimServer running and can start Minim Watch but it isn't available in the Applications portion of my Macbook.

I have appropriate Minim server and Java running on the Synology. The Synology DS software does not recognize DSD.
I'm trying to follow the instructions for installing Minim Streamer but I'm really unsure on how this is accomplished?
I log into the Synolgy and I can see Minimserver is running version 0.8.2.
According to the instructions I should see some way of managing packages and Minim stream should be available to me . I do not see it either through the sinology management portal or through finder.

You need to launch MinimWatch and select Properties from the minim icon, then select the Packages tab of the Properties window. See this section for more information.

Quote:I have several DSD capable renderers including a CH Precison. Is this SW capable of displaying and rendering through a handheld device iPad? I'm kind of stuck and there is probably some thing I'm missing in this package?
So to recap I have a macbook pro I installed Minimserver on a Synology DS213, I have it on my ethernet. I want to render using the server and I cannot seem to locate and install Minim Streamer nor do I have a clear understadnig on how my iPad can be used as the interface. The Synology DS software does not recognize DSD files.

I tried DS Audio and it seems it can't play files served by a UPnP media server such as MinimServer.

It seems the CH Precision has an Ethernet connection for network streaming. This means you could connect it to your network and use an iPad app such as PlugPlayer to stream music to the CH Precision from MinimServer.

Another option would be to connect the CH Precision to a PC or Mac via USB and use UPnP rendering software on the PC or Mac to send DSD files from MinimServer to the CH Precision for playback. For example, you could use foobar2000 on a PC or PlugPlayer on a Mac.

With MinimStreamer installed and stream.transcode set to 'dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav', your .dff and .dsf files will appear as if they are WAV files (even though they are not normal WAV files containing PCM data). The CH Precision would recognise that it is receiving a DoP/WAV stream containing DSD data and would do the necessary DSD decoding.
24-08-2014, 20:56
I loaded Plug Player yesterday after sending this off. I know that app works but its fraught with bugs and DS is far better. I hope Synology spends some resources to bring DSD to this application.
Il use PP for now Thanks so much for the thoughtful response.

Dwight
24-08-2014, 21:48
(24-08-2014 20:56)dwight@fidelisav.com Wrote:  I loaded Plug Player yesterday after sending this off. I know that app works but its fraught with bugs and DS is far better. I hope Synology spends some resources to bring DSD to this application.
Il use PP for now Thanks so much for the thoughtful response.

Dwight

I agree with what you said about PlugPlayer. Unfortunately, there aren't many other options for iPad. You could try 8player. For Android devices, BubbleUPnP is excellent.