Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red icon -- RandomFileInputstream read error
05-08-2014, 03:14
Red icon -- RandomFileInputstream read error
Tonight MinimServer crashed. Everything was OK until I asked for a folder view, then the MinimWatch icon turned red and displayed the message quoted in the title of this thread.

I'm running update 33 and MinimStreamer 4.1 on a Synology DS213, DSM4 (whatever the last version of 4 is, I can't remember, but I didn't upgrade to 5).

I have not added any new music files for a couple of days, and played music extensively last night and earlier today.

Any ideas? Here's the log.

starting MinimServer[DS 213]
Language setting is 'eng'
MinimServer[DS 213] is running
RandomFileInputStream read error; pos=536870911 bufPos=4095 len=16692 offset=0
org.jminim.LogErrorException: RandomFileInputStream read error
at com.minimserver.RandomFileInputStream.getData(RandomFileInputStream.java:92)
at com.minimserver.RandomFileInputStream.read(RandomFileInputStream.java:41)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:387)
at com.minimserver.Server.getCachedPictureInfo(Server.java:5500)
at com.minimserver.Server.access$9300(Server.java:91)
at com.minimserver.Server$FolderContainer.getDIDL(Server.java:14430)
at com.minimserver.Server$Container.getContentsDIDL(Server.java:12166)
at com.minimserver.Server$ContentDirectoryProvider.doBrowse(Server.java:15337)
at com.minimserver.Server$ContentDirectoryProvider.browse(Server.java:15289)
at org.openhome.net.device.providers.DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1$DoBrowse.ac​tionInvoked(DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1.java:978)
at org.openhome.net.device.providers.DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1$DoBrowse.ac​tionInvoked(DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1.java:978)
MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'relaunch' or 'exit'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 09:53
RE: Red icon -- RandomFileInputstream read error
(05-08-2014 03:14)magister Wrote:  Tonight MinimServer crashed. Everything was OK until I asked for a folder view, then the MinimWatch icon turned red and displayed the message quoted in the title of this thread.

I'm running update 33 and MinimStreamer 4.1 on a Synology DS213, DSM4 (whatever the last version of 4 is, I can't remember, but I didn't upgrade to 5).

I have not added any new music files for a couple of days, and played music extensively last night and earlier today.

Any ideas? Here's the log.

starting MinimServer[DS 213]
Language setting is 'eng'
MinimServer[DS 213] is running

MinimServer has encountered an end of file at file position 536870911 while reading the .mcache file for your library. You can see the .mcache files by using Synology File Station to view the MinimServer/appData folder. Do you have a .mcache file in this folder with a size that is that is equal to or greater than 536870911 bytes?
05-08-2014, 15:17
(05-08-2014 09:53)simoncn Wrote:  You can see the .mcache files by using Synology File Station to view the MinimServer/appData folder. Do you have a .mcache file in this folder with a size that is that is equal to or greater than 536870911 bytes?
Yes. I have three .mcache files greater than that size (1.6MB, 1.2MB, and 687KB), and four smaller ones.
05-08-2014, 15:21
(05-08-2014 15:17)magister Wrote:  Yes. I have three .mcache files greater than that size (1.6MB, 1.2MB, and 687KB), and four smaller ones.

536870911 bytes is about 530 MB. It sounds like you don't have a .mcache file as large as this. I will investigate what could be causing MinimServer to read from a position that is greater than the file length.
05-08-2014, 15:58
I can't find any obvious explanation for this.

Do you still have the .mcache file for the content directory that you were trying to browse when you got the problem? If so, please make a copy of this .mcache file before it is overwritten by restarting MinimServer.

I would like to look at this .mcache file to see if it provides any clues. I will PM you the details for uploading it to my FTP server.
05-08-2014, 16:32
(05-08-2014 15:58)simoncn Wrote:  Do you still have the .mcache file for the content directory that you were trying to browse when you got the problem? If so, please make a copy of this .mcache file before it is overwritten by restarting MinimServer.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your replies. Obviously math is not my strong point.Blush

I never got to select the directory I wanted. I was in the default view (Albums? -- whatever comes up automatically when I start), then I tapped on "[folder view]" and Minim crashed. In other words, I never got to select "jazz" or whatever folder I was intending to go to.

I did restart MinimServer when the problem first occurred, and the same exact thing happened.

One other thing that may or may not be relevant. I have two .mcache files for each directory, such as "jazz-1.mcache" and "jazz-2.mcache." File sizes are the same but dates are different.

I will be happy to send you any of the .mcache files if you want. What do you suggest I do to get music back? Should I upgrade to 8.2 rather than continuing with 8.1 and the auto updates?

Thanks - David
05-08-2014, 17:06
(05-08-2014 16:32)magister Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Thanks for your replies. Obviously math is not my strong point.Blush

I never got to select the directory I wanted. I was in the default view (Albums? -- whatever comes up automatically when I start), then I tapped on "[folder view]" and Minim crashed. In other words, I never got to select "jazz" or whatever folder I was intending to go to.

I did restart MinimServer when the problem first occurred, and the same exact thing happened.

One other thing that may or may not be relevant. I have two .mcache files for each directory, such as "jazz-1.mcache" and "jazz-2.mcache." File sizes are the same but dates are different.

I will be happy to send you any of the .mcache files if you want. What do you suggest I do to get music back? Should I upgrade to 8.2 rather than continuing with 8.1 and the auto updates?

Thanks - David

There are no changes in 0.8.2 that could affect this.

Have you recently made a change to your contentDir settings? If so, please describe what the previous settings were and what the current settings are.

To get music back, you can delete all .mcache files and restart MinimServer. I would appreciate it if you could make a copy of all the .mcache files before you delete them so that I can examine them for clues later.

It is normal to have these pairs of .mcache files. Please make copies of both the -1 and -2 versions.
05-08-2014, 17:46
(05-08-2014 17:06)simoncn Wrote:  Have you recently made a change to your contentDir settings? If so, please describe what the previous settings were and what the current settings are.

To get music back, you can delete all .mcache files and restart MinimServer. I would appreciate it if you could make a copy of all the .mcache files before you delete them so that I can examine them for clues later.
The last change to contentDir was a few days ago. I added a new directory, /volume1/world. I don't think this is related since I was able to play music for a couple of days before the recent crash.

I have deleted all the .mcache files and restarted MinimServer. It notified me about update 21 for MinimWatch, which I let it install, then restarted. All seems well at the moment; I can browse [folder view] without crashing.

I did save the old .mcache files. I'll zip them and send them to your FTP server later today.

Thanks - DAvid
05-08-2014, 19:00
(05-08-2014 17:46)magister Wrote:  The last change to contentDir was a few days ago. I added a new directory, /volume1/world. I don't think this is related since I was able to play music for a couple of days before the recent crash.

I am fairly sure this is related to the crash. Did you add the new directory to the end of the list or somewhere in the middle? When you did this, did you change the order of any of the previous entries? How many entries are there in the list now?

Quote:I have deleted all the .mcache files and restarted MinimServer. It notified me about update 21 for MinimWatch, which I let it install, then restarted. All seems well at the moment; I can browse [folder view] without crashing.

I'm pleased to hear this.

Quote:I did save the old .mcache files. I'll zip them and send them to your FTP server later today.

Thanks - DAvid

Thanks very much!
05-08-2014, 19:44
(05-08-2014 19:00)simoncn Wrote:  Did you add the new directory to the end of the list or somewhere in the middle? When you did this, did you change the order of any of the previous entries? How many entries are there in the list now?
The new entry was at the end, as I recall, so didn't change order of previous entries (I think). See screenshot for current setup.