Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] cannot start minimserver on raspberry automatically
23-07-2014, 18:19 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014 12:51 by prodigy999.)
Hi,

I installed the latest version of minimserver on my raspberry pi.
I can start minimserver with command sudo, but autostart does not work.
I think it has to do with rights on my pi.

there are some error messages:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/stopall
Checking for running instances of MinimServer...
No MinimServer instances are running
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/startd
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/startd: 5: minimserver/bin/startd: cannot cre ate minimserver.out: Permission denied
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/startc
Unable to delete file /home/pi/minimserver/data/./native/libohNet.so
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

How can I fix this?

Thanks, prodigy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2014, 22:00
RE: cannot start minimserver on raspberry pi
(23-07-2014 18:19)prodigy999 Wrote:  Hi,

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/startd: 5: minimserver/bin/startd: cannot cre ate minimserver.out: Permission denied
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

How can I fix this?

Thanks, prodigy

If you want to use autostart, you need to set this up using the miniimserver/bin/setup command. See points 5 and 6 of this section.

It looks like the error you are getting is caused by having MinimServer start automatically and then trying to start it again manually. The automatic instance is started with root ownership and the manual instance has user privilege, so the manual instance can't write to files that have been created by the automatic instance.

If you want MinimServer to start automatically (with root ownership), you can use minimserver/bin/setup to disable desktop integration and enable automatic startup, then reboot the Raspberry Pi. After doing this, you don't need to use the minimserver/bin/startc or minimserver/bin/startd commands because MinimServer will already be running.
24-07-2014, 10:27
(23-07-2014 22:00)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-07-2014 18:19)prodigy999 Wrote:  Hi,

pi@raspberrypi ~ $

How can I fix this?

Thanks, prodigy

If you want to use autostart, you need to set this up using the miniimserver/bin/setup command. See points 5 and 6 of this section.

It looks like the error you are getting is caused by having MinimServer start automatically and then trying to start it again manually. The automatic instance is started with root ownership and the manual instance has user privilege, so the manual instance can't write to files that have been created by the automatic instance.

If you want MinimServer to start automatically (with root ownership), you can use minimserver/bin/setup to disable desktop integration and enable automatic startup, then reboot the Raspberry Pi. After doing this, you don't need to use the minimserver/bin/startc or minimserver/bin/startd commands because MinimServer will already be running.

Hi,

so, I did again minimserver/bin/setup, the desktop integration was already disabled and the automatic startup is enabled.
but it doesnt start automatically!

As you can see in my first post, there is no minimserver running:

Yesterday I did a completly new installation (debian wheezy) of my raspberry. There is/was no way to start it automatically.
Before this, minimserver on my "old" raspberry worked free of errors and automatic start also worked.
Perhaps it has to do with this?

thanks
24-07-2014, 10:40
(24-07-2014 10:27)prodigy999 Wrote:  Hi,

so, I did again minimserver/bin/setup, the desktop integration was already disabled and the automatic startup is enabled.

Yesterday I did a completly new installation (debian wheezy) of my raspberry. There is/was no way to start it automatically.
Before this, minimserver on my "old" raspberry worked free of errors and automatic start also worked.

thanks

Automatic start should work with Debian wheezy. I've tried this on a SheevaPlug but not on my Raspberry Pi. I think MinimServer might be starting automatically and the startup might be failing.

Please try doing the following:

1) Make sure your current directory is the parent directory of the 'minimserver' directory
2) Run the command minimserver/bin/setup and disable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
3) Run the command minimserver/bin/setup and re-enable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
4) Reboot the Raspberry Pi
5) After the reboot, check the files minimserver/data/minimserver.out and minimserver/data/minimserver.log to see if there are any error messages
24-07-2014, 11:26
(24-07-2014 10:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 10:27)prodigy999 Wrote:  Hi,

thanks

Automatic start should work with Debian wheezy. I've tried this on a SheevaPlug but not on my Raspberry Pi. I think MinimServer might be starting automatically and the startup might be failing.

Please try doing the following:

1) Make sure your current directory is the parent directory of the 'minimserver' directory
2) Run the command minimserver/bin/setup and disable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
3) Run the command minimserver/bin/setup and re-enable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
4) Reboot the Raspberry Pi
5) After the reboot, check the files minimserver/data/minimserver.out and minimserver/data/minimserver.log to see if there are any error messages

Hi,
I did this:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls
Desktop minimserver python_games
MinimServer-0.8.1-linux-armhf.tar.gz ocr_pi.png
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/setup

MinimServer desktop integration is disabled
MinimServer automatic startup is enabled

Do you want to change these settings (y/n)?
y
Enable desktop integration for MinimServer (y/n)?
n
Enable automatic startup for MinimServer (y/n)?
n
Acquiring root privilege for system configuration update...
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
MinimServer automatic startup has been disabled
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/setup

MinimServer desktop integration is disabled
MinimServer automatic startup is disabled

Do you want to change these settings (y/n)?
y
Enable desktop integration for MinimServer (y/n)?
n
Enable automatic startup for MinimServer (y/n)?
y
MinimServer automatic startup has been enabled
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo shutdown -r now

this is the message of minimserver.out: (looks similar in minimserver.log)

MinimServer 0.8.1 update 31, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer
MinimServer[raspberrypi] is running
ending MinimServer
stopping MinimServer[raspberrypi]
MinimServer[raspberrypi] is stopped

It does not start automatically.

Now I tried to uninstall:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ minimserver/bin/uninstall
Do you want to save your MinimServer configuration file (y/n)?
n
Removing links for automatic startup...
Removing MinimServer installation files...
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/data/native/libohNet.so': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/data/native/libohNetJni.so': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/libext/jminim-0.6.117.jar': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/libext/minimserver-0.8.130.jar': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/libext/ohnet(linux-armhf)-1.0.1028.zip': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/libext/minimserver-0.8-update-31.jmpkg': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/libext/minimui-0.8.116.jar': Permission denied

thanks
24-07-2014, 11:50 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014 11:50 by simoncn.)
(24-07-2014 11:26)prodigy999 Wrote:  MinimServer 0.8.1 update 31, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer
ending MinimServer

I think I know what has happened. If you have previously used sudo to run /minimserver/bin/startd or minimserver/bin/setup (as you mentioned in a previous post), this has created some files with root ownership.

The minimserver/bin/setup command is careful not to do this. It autostarts MinimServer with the same process owner that ran the minimserver/bin/setup command. This doesn't work if there are some existing MinimServer files with root ownership because the autostarted process can't access these files.

This also explains why the uninstall didn't work.

To fix the problem, you can run sudo minimserver/bin/uninstall and select the option not to preserve the configuration file. After doing this, do the following:

1) Reinstall MinimServer
2) From the installation directory, run the command minimserver/bin/setup and enable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
3) Reboot the Raspberry Pi

You should now find that MinimServer has started automatically and the files are not owned by root.
24-07-2014, 12:50
(24-07-2014 11:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 11:26)prodigy999 Wrote:  MinimServer 0.8.1 update 31, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer
ending MinimServer

I think I know what has happened. If you have previously used sudo to run /minimserver/bin/startd or minimserver/bin/setup (as you mentioned in a previous post), this has created some files with root ownership.

The minimserver/bin/setup command is careful not to do this. It autostarts MinimServer with the same process owner that ran the minimserver/bin/setup command. This doesn't work if there are some existing MinimServer files with root ownership because the autostarted process can't access these files.

This also explains why the uninstall didn't work.

To fix the problem, you can run sudo minimserver/bin/uninstall and select the option not to preserve the configuration file. After doing this, do the following:

1) Reinstall MinimServer
2) From the installation directory, run the command minimserver/bin/setup and enable automatic startup (you will be prompted to enter your password for sudo)
3) Reboot the Raspberry Pi

You should now find that MinimServer has started automatically and the files are not owned by root.

Thanks. it works fine now.