Post Reply 
Rapsberry Pi & Time Machine
20-09-2014, 12:24
Post: #6
RE: Rapsberry Pi & Time Machine
(05-09-2014 12:08)Montage Wrote:  Hi,

I have just got MinimServer running on my Raspberry Pi with a small music library on SD, and I'm very pleased. I have now put a copy of my full music library on the internal 2TB disk of my Apple Airport Time Capsule, but cannot figure how to address the music directory from the MinimServer on the RPi.

The Time Capsule disk is at IP 192.168.0.4 and the music is within a folder 'Media/Music'. Apple seems to insist that this disk is password protected. What would be the format of the address, including password, in the server contentDir field? (The Pi is connected to the Time Machine by Ethernet and also by USB for power. This set-up is working and I am able to adjust the properties via MinimWatch on a remote Mac.)

Thanks in anticipation!

John T
Montage

I would also suggest to connect a USB 2.5" disk. You don't need a hub if you make a split USB cable, quite easy to do. You can use the same PSU for both the Pi and the drive, as long as it is powerful enough (2-3A) as the drive needs quite a lot of power to power up.

I have this setup running with the Pi B+ with a 2TB 2.5" HDD. 2000+ albums and a whole lot of movies. It's connected through an ethernet cable. The system is now up for 35 days and it is stable! The drive will auto power down when not in use, so you basically have a NAS consuming 3W idle and 6W when in use.

I have three servers running on the Pi: 1) minimserver of music, 2) minidlna for movies and 3) forked-daapd for iTunes. I have virtually no performance issues but the iTunes database is a bit slow to load, which is probably due to the number of albums rather than the speed of the Pi.

You can then use your Airport Time Capsule exclusively for Time Machine backups or alternatively just to backup your music.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
Rapsberry Pi & Time Machine - Montage - 05-09-2014, 12:08
RE: Rapsberry Pi & Time Machine - guussie - 20-09-2014 12:24

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)