MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Rapsberry Pi & Time Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have just got MinimServer running on my Raspberry Pi with a small music library on SD, and I'm very pleased. I have now put a copy of my full music library on the internal 2TB disk of my Apple Airport Time Capsule, but cannot figure how to address the music directory from the MinimServer on the RPi.

The Time Capsule disk is at IP 192.168.0.4 and the music is within a folder 'Media/Music'. Apple seems to insist that this disk is password protected. What would be the format of the address, including password, in the server contentDir field? (The Pi is connected to the Time Machine by Ethernet and also by USB for power. This set-up is working and I am able to adjust the properties via MinimWatch on a remote Mac.)

Thanks in anticipation!

John T
Montage
(05-09-2014 12:08)Montage Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have just got MinimServer running on my Raspberry Pi with a small music library on SD, and I'm very pleased. I have now put a copy of my full music library on the internal 2TB disk of my Apple Airport Time Capsule, but cannot figure how to address the music directory from the MinimServer on the RPi.

The Time Capsule disk is at IP 192.168.0.4 and the music is within a folder 'Media/Music'. Apple seems to insist that this disk is password protected. What would be the format of the address, including password, in the server contentDir field? (The Pi is connected to the Time Machine by Ethernet and also by USB for power. This set-up is working and I am able to adjust the properties via MinimWatch on a remote Mac.)

Thanks in anticipation!

John T
Montage

I don't know how to connect an Apple device to a Raspberry Pi. You might need to install some software on the RPi that can talk whatever protocol the Time Capsule understands. If you can access the files on the Time Capsule via a Linux path from the Raspberry Pi, you can enter that path in the contentDir field.

Even if you can make this work, performance is likely to be so bad that it's effectively unusable because of the overhead of accessing files via a network share. You would need to attach an external drive via USB (preferably using a USB hub with its own power supply) to get acceptable performance.
Hello Simon,

Thank you for the very quick response. I'm the only Network user, and the music library is the only data on the Time Capsule drive. It is not used for 'Time Machine' or any other purpose, so I would hope that the network overhead would not be an issue. The Time Capsule internal SATA drive appeals because of the speed of access over USB. However, if I cannot access this password protected disk from a RPi (and I am not familiar with Unix), I will have to utilise the USB disk route.

Regards,
John T
Montage
(05-09-2014 18:11)Montage Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

Thank you for the very quick response. I'm the only Network user, and the music library is the only data on the Time Capsule drive. It is not used for 'Time Machine' or any other purpose, so I would hope that the network overhead would not be an issue. The Time Capsule internal SATA drive appeals because of the speed of access over USB. However, if I cannot access this password protected disk from a RPi (and I am not familiar with Unix), I will have to utilise the USB disk route.

Regards,
John T
Montage

The overhead is in the network protocol. My advice is not to spend a lot of effort going down this route. Can the Time Capsule be connected via USB?
(05-09-2014 19:03)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]The overhead is in the network protocol. My advice is not to spend a lot of effort going down this route. Can the Time Capsule be connected via USB?

Thanks Simon,

I believe that the USB port on the Time Capsule is only configured for disk and printers. I'll take your advice and drop this approach and use a USB disk connected to the RPi. This is just a learning exercise at the moment prior to potentially buying a NAS.

Regards,
John T
(05-09-2014 12:08)Montage Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Thanks in anticipation!

John T
Montage

I would also suggest to connect a USB 2.5" disk. You don't need a hub if you make a split USB cable, quite easy to do. You can use the same PSU for both the Pi and the drive, as long as it is powerful enough (2-3A) as the drive needs quite a lot of power to power up.

I have this setup running with the Pi B+ with a 2TB 2.5" HDD. 2000+ albums and a whole lot of movies. It's connected through an ethernet cable. The system is now up for 35 days and it is stable! The drive will auto power down when not in use, so you basically have a NAS consuming 3W idle and 6W when in use.

I have three servers running on the Pi: 1) minimserver of music, 2) minidlna for movies and 3) forked-daapd for iTunes. I have virtually no performance issues but the iTunes database is a bit slow to load, which is probably due to the number of albums rather than the speed of the Pi.

You can then use your Airport Time Capsule exclusively for Time Machine backups or alternatively just to backup your music.
Reference URL's