Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] Installing Java on a Synology ARMv5 or PPC NAS
01-04-2016, 18:37
RE: [Tutorial] Installing Java on a Synology ARMv5 or PPC NAS
(01-04-2016 18:22)Kewsea Wrote:  Slightly different question but how do I point Minim towards the music folder on a DS212j? I am running DSM 6.0-7321

Thank you.

See this page.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 15:12
Just for info:

Oracle has updated Embedded Java and the current version is 8u91. Once again Patters installation package refuses to comply as it expects version 8u77. That version has been pulled by Oracle due to security problems and I couldn't find it anywhere. It's probably better that way but it means installing MimimServer on an ARM5 Synology-NAS currently is not possible.

Wrote Patters a message too and hope this gets resolved quickly.
24-04-2016, 15:30
(24-04-2016 15:12)mcgillroy Wrote:  Just for info:

Oracle has updated Embedded Java and the current version is 8u91. Once again Patters installation package refuses to comply as it expects version 8u77. That version has been pulled by Oracle due to security problems and I couldn't find it anywhere. It's probably better that way but it means installing MimimServer on an ARM5 Synology-NAS currently is not possible.

You could try renaming the 8u91 file so that the patters package thinks it is 8u77.
25-04-2016, 09:20
(24-04-2016 15:30)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 15:12)mcgillroy Wrote:  Just for info:

You could try renaming the 8u91 file so that the patters package thinks it is 8u77.

Hi Simon
Yes, I tried renaming the file to 8u77 and it installed OK, but then won't run, so still no Java and no Minimserver.
Cheers,
Hugh
25-04-2016, 09:53
(25-04-2016 09:20)Hugh Jampton Wrote:  Hi Simon
Yes, I tried renaming the file to 8u77 and it installed OK, but then won't run, so still no Java and no Minimserver.
Cheers,
Hugh

What was the exact original filename of the version that you downloaded? Which model of Synology NAS do you have?
25-04-2016, 11:14
Downloaded file was "ejdk-8u91-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz" which I renamed to "ejdk-8u77-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz". I'm running a Synology DS212J, updated with the latest DSM 6.0-7321 Update 3.
25-04-2016, 11:42
(25-04-2016 11:14)Hugh Jampton Wrote:  Downloaded file was "ejdk-8u91-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz" which I renamed to "ejdk-8u77-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz". I'm running a Synology DS212J, updated with the latest DSM 6.0-7321 Update 3.

This file should be correct for your NAS. What error message do you get when you try to install or start MinimServer? The message might be in the system log (Log Center) or it might be in the file MinimServer/appData/minimserver-out.log (File Station).
25-04-2016, 13:43
(25-04-2016 11:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 11:14)Hugh Jampton Wrote:  Downloaded file was "ejdk-8u91-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz" which I renamed to "ejdk-8u77-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz". I'm running a Synology DS212J, updated with the latest DSM 6.0-7321 Update 3.

This file should be correct for your NAS. What error message do you get when you try to install or start MinimServer? The message might be in the system log (Log Center) or it might be in the file MinimServer/appData/minimserver-out.log (File Station).

It's a curious one. Java 8 seems to be installed ok, and on installation that was the message I got - installation OK. However, when I try to start it, it reverts back to "Java stopped". When I try to install MinimServer, I get the message: "Failed to install MinimServer. Java is not installed or properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package."
25-04-2016, 14:47
(25-04-2016 13:43)Hugh Jampton Wrote:  It's a curious one. Java 8 seems to be installed ok, and on installation that was the message I got - installation OK. However, when I try to start it, it reverts back to "Java stopped". When I try to install MinimServer, I get the message: "Failed to install MinimServer. Java is not installed or properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package."

It might help if you reboot the NAS and then try installing MinimServer.
25-04-2016, 15:06
(25-04-2016 14:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 13:43)Hugh Jampton Wrote:  It's a curious one. Java 8 seems to be installed ok, and on installation that was the message I got - installation OK. However, when I try to start it, it reverts back to "Java stopped". When I try to install MinimServer, I get the message: "Failed to install MinimServer. Java is not installed or properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package."

It might help if you reboot the NAS and then try installing MinimServer.

Nope. Just rebooted then tried to start Java, and can't. So still no installation of Minimserver. What's really annoying is that it's been working perfectly for the past year or so, until the latest upgrade to DSM 6. I can still use Media Server, but as I'm sure you agree, MinimServer was so much faster and better. Maybe I'll just have to wait until Synology come out with another fix.

Hugh