Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch etc.
08-08-2013, 15:40
RE: Minimwatch etc.
I may have been going wrong by uploading Java to File Station.How do I upload to the shared folder?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 15:44
(08-08-2013 15:40)mors Wrote:  I may have been going wrong by uploading Java to File Station.How do I upload to the shared folder?

1) Open the Synology File Station
2) Navigate to the folder 'public'
3) Press the button upload and select the *.tar.gz file
08-08-2013, 16:38
So what I was doing was correct as the instructions mention Shared Folder control panel.From community I tried to download Java but got error message 'failed to install I was looking for"then names the file which I have downloaded.I have the repository URL in Package Sources and I used Safari to download Java.
08-08-2013, 16:49
(08-08-2013 16:38)mors Wrote:  So what I was doing was correct as the instructions mention Shared Folder control panel.From community I tried to download Java but got error message 'failed to install I was looking for"then names the file which I have downloaded.I have the repository URL in Package Sources and I used Safari to download Java.

This means that the Java package from patters can not locate your downloaded file. Please make sure that you upload the file to the 'public' folder. You can do this in the File Station, but not in the Shared Folder control panel.
Another reason that the Java package can not locate the file can be that your browser renamed the file during download. I'm not sure how Safari handles this. Please verify that the file extension of your downloaded file is *.tar.gz.
If you still have no luck with installing Java, please try to be as specific as possible. Screenshots showing your problem may also be of great help.
08-08-2013, 17:00
(08-08-2013 16:49)winxi Wrote:  Another reason that the Java package can not locate the file can be that your browser renamed the file during download. I'm not sure how Safari handles this. Please verify that the file extension of your downloaded file is *.tar.gz.

I just tried downloading the Java SE Embedded file using Safari and the file was downloaded to my Downloads folder as a .tar.gz file.

In my Safari preferences (General page) I have unchecked the box at the bottom of the page (Open "safe" files after downloading). Do you have this box checked? If so, please uncheck this box, delete your current downloaded Java SE Embedded file, and download the Java SE Embedded file again. Does this produce a file with a .tar.gz extension?
08-08-2013, 18:17
Yes I ticked the box in System Preferences to accept any application.Yes it uploaded gz extension,still coming up with failed to install etc.
08-08-2013, 18:32
(08-08-2013 18:17)mors Wrote:  Yes I ticked the box in System Preferences to accept any application.Yes it uploaded gz extension,still coming up with failed to install etc.

Please post two screenshots:

1) One showing the Synology file station with the public folder opened.
2) The second showing the error message you are referring to.
09-08-2013, 12:42
I have taken four screenshots unfortunately simply can't upload them still getting same error message Getting very close to giving up this unequal struggle.
09-08-2013, 12:49
(09-08-2013 12:42)mors Wrote:  I have taken four screenshots unfortunately simply can't upload them still getting same error message Getting very close to giving up this unequal struggle.

To add the screenshots, please post a new reply in this thread, choose your screenshot in the section 'Attachments' under the textfield where you are typing the reply and then click 'Add Attachment'. Repeat the last two steps for each of the four screenshots. Thanks!
09-08-2013, 13:49
                Hopefully screenshots.