Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch - quits
01-05-2022, 17:24
RE: MinimWatch - quits
The MinimWatch log you posted does not contain debug output. This is likely to be because you have set the MinimServer logging level to Debug instead of setting the MinimWatch logging level to Debug.

To set the MinimWatch logging level to Debug, you need to do the following:

1) From the MinimWatch minim icon, select Options > Show log (watch). Do not select Show log.
2) In the log window that opens, check the title bar says MinimWatch Log
3) Change the logging level to Debug
4) Close the log window

Next time the problem occurs, copy the minimwatch.log file to some other name or location before you restart MinimWatch, then post the minimwatch.log file here. It would be helpful if you could post the log file as a file attachment rather than copying the contents into a post.

I will look at the log file and let you know what I find.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2022, 13:30
(01-05-2022 17:24)simoncn Wrote:  The MinimWatch log you posted does not contain debug output. This is likely to be because you have set the MinimServer logging level to Debug instead of setting the MinimWatch logging level to Debug.

To set the MinimWatch logging level to Debug, you need to do the following:

1) From the MinimWatch minim icon, select Options > Show log (watch). Do not select Show log.
4) Close the log window

Next time the problem occurs, copy the minimwatch.log file to some other name or location before you restart MinimWatch, then post the minimwatch.log file here. It would be helpful if you could post the log file as a file attachment rather than copying the contents into a post.

I will look at the log file and let you know what I find.

Hi,
I had 6 nas running..
Orange,Purple,Yellow,Blue,White,Red

I shutdown Orange, Purple and Yellow and waited.

I notice that there were still 4 icons on the task bar and thought I've got this, as there should only be 3.

Waited some more... still 4.

Moved mouse to task bar and exactly as expect all icons vanished.

I got the log and hope I've attached it correctly.

Thanks.

Bob.

.zip  minimwatch-log.zip (Size: 2.96 KB / Downloads: 3)
04-05-2022, 10:37
Thanks for this vey helpful information.

From your description and from looking at the minimwatch.log file, it appears the MinimWatch process had a fatal error after you closed Purple. This is why the icon for Yellow did not disappear when you closed it and why all icons disappeared when you moused over them.

Some information from the fatal error should have been captured by Java in an hs_err_pid file. This file should be in your Windows temporary directory C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Temp. Please look in this directory for any files whose names start with hs_err_pid. The full name of the file should be something like hs_err_pidnnnn.log where nnnn is a number indicating the process ID of the MinimWatch process.

The fatal error is not caused by MinimWatch but by a problem in either Java or ohNet. The hs_err_pid file should enable me to find out more about which of these was the likely cause.
04-05-2022, 11:31
(04-05-2022 10:37)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this vey helpful information.

Some information from the fatal error should have been captured by Java in an hs_err_pid file. This file should be in your Windows temporary directory C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Temp. Please look in this directory for any files whose names start with hs_err_pid. The full name of the file should be something like hs_err_pidnnnn.log where nnnn is a number indicating the process ID of the MinimWatch process.

Hi,

Thanks for looking at this. I've had a really good look in that folder and there is no file anything like what you suggested.
There are a number of Directories with meaningless names, a lot of directories about MozillabackgroundTasks, a lot of files Aria-debug-xxxx.log, and java jre-8u321-windows-au.exe, jusched.log but unfortunately not one file that begins with "h".

I can't find any trace of ohNet, where might I find that?

Forgive me, clearly I don't understand. Even though (as far as i know) the only contact my PC had with the NAS at the time of the problem was though Minimwatch, Minimwatch had nothing to do with the crash?

Surely even if it was Java that crashed it must have been in response to something minimwatch did?

Anything else I could try?

Thanks.

Bob.
04-05-2022, 20:56 (This post was last modified: 04-05-2022 22:05 by simoncn.)
Thanks for trying to find the hs_err_pid file. I believe this file is not always created, especially on Windows.

MinimWatch is written in Java and uses the Java runtime. It also uses the ohNet library for UPnP discovery and communication.

If MinimWatch has a fatal error, details about this error will be captured in the minimwatch.log file. There is nothing like this in the minimwatch.log file, so the fatal error has not come from MinimWatch.

If the Java runtime has a fatal error, details about this error should be captured in the hs_err_pid file. As there is no such file, it seems likely that the fatal error is not from the Java runtime. This would mean that the fatal error has come from the ohNet library.

The fatal error occurred while a MinimServer instance was being closed. This would have triggered ohNet activity in MinimWatch as a result of UPnP communication between MinimServer and MinimWatch when this happened. Putting all this together, I think the evidence that we have at present points to ohNet as the most likely cause of the problem.

It is possible to run MinimWatch with additional debug information from ohNet. To do this, you need to do the following:

1) From the MinimWatch minim icon, select Options > Properties (watch). Do not select Properties.
2) In the window that opens, check the title bar says MinimWatch Properties
3) Change the ohnet.debug setting to All
4) Close the MinimWatch Properties window
5) Enable the Debug logging level for MinimWatch as you have done previously
6) Exit MinimWatch and restart it

When you next see the problem, post the zipped minimwatch.log file as you have already done. This file will be much larger because of the additional ohNet debugging information. There is a chance that this might provide more detailed information about what was happening in ohNet just before it had the fatal error. ohNet does not usually provide much useful information in such cases but it is worth a try.

I hope this helps you to understand why this is not an easy problem to debug and fix.
05-05-2022, 10:14
(04-05-2022 20:56)simoncn Wrote:  When you next see the problem, post the zipped minimwatch.log file as you have already done. This file will be much larger because of the additional ohNet debugging information. There is a chance that this might provide more detailed information about what was happening in ohNet just before it had the fatal error. ohNet does not usually provide much useful information in such cases but it is worth a try.

I've had a go at it, see what you think. The log doesn't seem much larger though so afterwards I checked the ohnet log was still All and it was.

(04-05-2022 20:56)simoncn Wrote:  I hope this helps you to understand why this is not an easy problem to debug and fix.

Yes, your explanation has helped me understand a lot more thanks.
The good thing (maybe) is that this seems very reproduceable now. I seem to be able to do it at will.

Thanks. Bob.

.zip  MinimwatchLog.zip (Size: 2.98 KB / Downloads: 1)
05-05-2022, 10:35
Thanks for this. Unfortunately this file has the same information as previously. It looks like you omitted step 6) Exit MinimWatch and restart it.

Please do the following, taking care to follow every step exactly and in the order shown.

4) Close the MinimWatch Log window
5) From the MinimWatch minim icon, select Options > Properties (watch). Do not select Properties.
6) In the window that opens, check the title bar says MinimWatch Properties
7) Change the ohnet.debug setting to All
8) Close the MinimWatch Properties window
9) Exit and relaunch MinimWatch (this step is very important)
10) Run the test that causes the fatal error
11) Zip the minimwatch.log file and attach it to a post here. The file should be considerably larger this time.

Many thanks.
05-05-2022, 11:09
(05-05-2022 10:35)simoncn Wrote:  9) Exit and relaunch MinimWatch (this step is very important) *******
10) Run the test that causes the fatal error
11) Zip the minimwatch.log file and attach it to a post here. The file should be considerably larger this time.

Many thanks.

OK, seems I didn't quit it.

Try again, easy to reproduce so far..

Bob.

.zip  LogV3.zip (Size: 63.54 KB / Downloads: 1)
05-05-2022, 23:24
(05-05-2022 11:09)mightyoakbob Wrote:  OK, seems I didn't quit it.

Try again, easy to reproduce so far..

Bob.

Thanks very much for this. From studying this log, I have an idea about what might be causing the problem. I need to do more investigation and testing to confirm this. I will post back here when I have an update.
09-05-2022, 17:06
I have spent some considerable time looking into this and I am unable to make further progress without seeing the hs_err_pid file. To locate this file, please do the following:

1) Open Windows File Explorer
2) In the address bar, type: %TMP%
3) Press Enter
4) The address bar should now say > Home > AppData > Local > Temp >
5) Make sure the list of folders and files is in alphabetical order. If not, click on the top of the Name column to create an alphabetical list.
6) Scroll down past the list of folders until you see the list of files
7) Scroll down in the list of files until you see files beginning with "h"
8) You should see one or more files with names starting hs_err_pid
9) Post the most recent of these hs_err_pid files as a file attachment here

Many thanks for your help with this.