Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Radio
01-01-2020, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 01-01-2020 13:27 by simoncn.)
RE: Internet Radio
This doesn't sound right. If your BBC Radio DASH.m3u file was read successfully, there should be an index entry '1 playlist' in addition to [folder view] and this should contain your BBC Radio DASH playlist (see step 8). If you are not seeing this, something has gone wrong. Are there any messages in the MinimServer log?

I suggest you ignore the stream.transcode paragraph (step 11) for now. You should be able to play the BBC MPEG-DASH streams without this on most renderers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2020, 15:08
There aren't any error messages in the 'show log' option for the minimserver on my laptop and I've restarted it and rebooted my iPad but still no sign of an index entry '1 playlist' just the two 'BBC Radio' and 'music' icons when you click on [folder view].

When I created the BBC Radio folder and then the BBC Radio DASH.m3u text file using Notepad, I simply copied a small number of the BBC radio stations contained in the MPEG-DASH link and copied them into the above text file. I noted that there was a small box at the bottom of that page showing a tick against ANSI and so I have presumed I have created/saved this text file correctly? Could this be where I have gone wrong?
01-01-2020, 18:06
Saving the file in Notepad as ANSI should be fine.

When you edited the file, did you preserve the #EXTM3U line at the start of the file? This line is essential for the file to work correctly. However, removing it should not cause the playlist to be missing from the library.

Did you do a rescan after adding the BBC Radio folder to your contentDir settings? This is not mentioned in the instructions because they assume that you created the file before installing and starting MinimServer. I will update the instructions page to clarify this. Whenever the contents of your library changes, you need to do a rescan.
01-01-2020, 21:26
When I opened the BBC MPEG-DASH link I simply highlighted the first seven lines (including the #EXTM3U) line which included Radio 1 & 2, copied them and pasted them into Notepad and named the new text file 'BBC Radio DASH.m3u'

I have previously restarted and rescanned minimserver on both my laptop and the Melco including again just now but I still don't see the '1 Radio' playlist on either Melco HD or MControl HD apps.

Although I feel reasonably confident I did create the new text file using Notepad ANSI setting, is there a way I can check this? I have tried right clicking on that text file and looking under properties but it does not give any information as to whether it was created/saved using ANSI.
01-01-2020, 23:40
I can't see anything wrong with your description of what you have done but something is wrong because the rescan has not found the .m3u playlist.

I know this sounds obvious but are you sure that the playlist file has the correct name and is in the correct folder? I can't think of anything else that could explain what is happening.

The next step would be to enable debug logging and do another rescan (or restart MinimServer). The debug log will provide more information about what is happening when the BBC Radio folder is scanned.
02-01-2020, 10:11
The BBC Radio folder is stored here 'C:\Users\jj-mj\OneDrive\Documents\BBC Radio' and does contain the file 'BBC Radio DASH.m3u'.

I am happy to try performing the debug logging, exactly how do I do this?
02-01-2020, 10:33
To see the debug log, do the following:

1) From the minim icon in the system tray, click Show log
2) In the log window, set the logging level to Debug
3) From the minim icon in the system tray, click Exit
4) Relaunch MinimServer from the desktop launch icon
5) From the minim icon in the system tray, click Show log

You will see the debug log. You can save a copy of this log by clicking 'Save as' and selecting a folder and filename for saving.
02-01-2020, 10:46
Okay I've done that and saved the file in my documents. When I double click on that file it asks how I want to open it and provides a list of options. I have not chosen an option thus far. What should I now do with this saved file?
02-01-2020, 11:59
You can open it with Notepad or you can attach it to a post here as a file attachment for me to look at. Please do not try to copy the file contents into a post inline.
02-01-2020, 12:47
I have opened the file using Notepad. However, I cannot see how to attach the file to this message. Do you want me copy the contents of the file and paste the full contents in a further message?