Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound quality
29-12-2016, 12:28
RE: Sound quality
(29-12-2016 11:15)Melco Man Wrote:  I am struggling to install FFMPEG on my MacbookPro/Melco. I have downloaded FFMPEG and put the folder into Minimserver/opt/bin but I cannot install it for some reason...

Forgive me, but I'm going to leave this one to Simon, as I have neither a Mac nor a Melco. I too needed quite a bit of help from Simon (including a new feature in MinimServer) to get FFMPEG to work on my NAS.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 13:26
(29-12-2016 12:28)DavidHB Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 11:15)Melco Man Wrote:  I am struggling to install FFMPEG on my MacbookPro/Melco. I have downloaded FFMPEG and put the folder into Minimserver/opt/bin but I cannot install it for some reason...

Forgive me, but I'm going to leave this one to Simon, as I have neither a Mac nor a Melco. I too needed quite a bit of help from Simon (including a new feature in MinimServer) to get FFMPEG to work on my NAS.

David
Thanks David...
29-12-2016, 13:30 (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 19:01 by Melco Man.)
(29-12-2016 12:18)DavidHB Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 11:29)Melco Man Wrote:  Thanks. I kind of get it. Just not sure I totally understand about the 'space'. My files are stored as uncompressed FLAC and are now being transcoded to WAV 24. The 24 bit FLAC to WAV 24 must surely make no difference? The 16 bit FLAC to 24 bit WAV I can't get my head around as surely the 16 bit will remain as 16 bit???

Actually, as far as the facts of the case are concerned, you are (I believe) pretty much correct. In particular, the 16 bit data is still 16 bit, albeit padded out with zeroes to fill up the 24 bits. I cannot recall seeing any explanations as to how this could affect perceived sound quality. But, apparently, that is what it does, at least sometimes.

I can offer a couple of fairly random thoughts, which may or may not be relevant. Firstly I remember someone writing on the forum several years ago (and I cannot find the post) that Naim had said that playing WAV rather than FLAC helped lower the noise floor in their players. As human hearing is apparently sensitive to even tiny amounts of noise and much of the technology of high end hi-fi is directed at reducing noise to hitherto unimaginably low levels, this, if correctly reported, is a significant and interesting statement.

Secondly, in 2015, Linn published a white paper on The Evolution of the Pre-amplifier, which provides the technical background to their decision to stop making separate (analogue) pre-amplifiers. It is interesting in the present context because it describes in some detail the signal path in their top of the range Klimax DSM (a combined streamer and pre-amplifier with digital and analogue inputs). You will see that the signal path involves quite a bit of upsampling and downsampling along the way, so it could be said that the upsampling to WAV24 is only the first of several such processes that the data will encounter. I doubt that Linn is the only manufacturer to design systems like this; indeed, some form of upsampling is needed for any digital volume control to work properly without truncating the data. Does starting with an upsampled 24 bit file improve matters in some way? I really don't know, but the thought is intriguing.

David
Thanks David. That's very interesting. The lowering of the noise floor makes sense. TBH, the main thing is I'm very happy with my system (Melco N1A with minimserver installed, Moon 380D DAC, Moon 340i amp, Sonus faber Venere 2.0 speakers). I'm always striving to further improve SQ but should probably just be happy with what I've got and enjoy the music with the excellent tagging features provided by Simon...
29-12-2016, 18:00 (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 18:02 by simoncn.)
If you are transcoding FLAC to WAV or WAV24, you don't need to install ffmpeg on the Melco N1.

For other transcoding combinations that require ffmpeg, you would need an ffmpeg static binary that is compatible with the Marvell ARMv7 CPU that is used in the Melco N1. Unfortunately, I don't know of any available download sites for this file. There are instructions for building such a binary from source code in this tutorial but this requires some technical expertise.
29-12-2016, 18:45
(29-12-2016 18:00)simoncn Wrote:  If you are transcoding FLAC to WAV or WAV24, you don't need to install ffmpeg on the Melco N1.

For other transcoding combinations that require ffmpeg, you would need an ffmpeg static binary that is compatible with the Marvell ARMv7 CPU that is used in the Melco N1. Unfortunately, I don't know of any available download sites for this file. There are instructions for building such a binary from source code in this tutorial but this requires some technical expertise.
Thanks Simon. Looks a bit too complicated for me i think Sad