MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Sound quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Does MinimServer improve sound quality or just the way meta data can be stored and searched? If it does improve sound quality - how?
(15-11-2016 22:17)charlesbeckerson@yahoo.co.uk Wrote: [ -> ]Does MinimServer improve sound quality or just the way meta data can be stored and searched? If it does improve sound quality - how?

The latter. And the fact that it is light means it can run on many different devices.
Some streamers (like naim streamers) do sound better if you e.g. stream wav instead of flac. So it is recommended to transcode the music data on the fly (store it as flac, but play it as wav or pcm data). This can be done with the Synology mediaserver, too, but this has a bug since many versions, so that it does not support gapless playback anymore when using transcoding.

Also some people reported that sound quality is enhanced when using minimserver. Maybe because of less jitter or something.

And third you can experiment with filters (like enhance the bass or lower the treble) when using minimserver. But this is a little bit complicated. I see it more as an experimental thing than a real feature. (Until there will be an app that supports one in configuring the equalizer).
In a streaming system, sound quality is primarily a function of the DAC and the circuitry that relates to it (including, perhaps, the renderer but typically not the server). Reducing noise levels in the analogue domain (some of which arrives via the digital circuitry) appears to be a key part of the effort to improve sound quality. High end streamers from the likes of Naim and Linn, and correspondingly high end DACs from, for example, Chord, already provide what, for old hands like me, seem to be astonishingly good signal to noise ratios, but it seems that reducing noise even further does provide an audible improvement in, for example, Linn's new Katalyst models.

There is probably nothing that a server as such can do to improve sound quality. However, as tarnkappe says, transcoding to a different format or (particularly) a greater bit depth can be beneficial; apparently, Naim said some time ago that it can have the effect of lowering the noise floor in the player. I certainly found that it produced a small but noticeable improvement in my system. I continue to use transcoding, as it costs me nothing, but I'd guess that, in some systems, the benefit would reduce as the noise performance of the system itself improves when equipment is upgraded.

David
[quote='tarnkappe' pid='23545' dateline='1479291259'

And third you can experiment with filters (like enhance the bass or lower the treble) when using minimserver. But this is a little bit complicated. I see it more as an experimental thing than a real feature. (Until there will be an app that supports one in configuring the equalizer).
[/quote]

Can you point me in the right direction for experimenting with filters?
Thanks
(24-12-2016 14:32)Donuk Wrote: [ -> ][quote='tarnkappe' pid='23545' dateline='1479291259'

Can you point me in the right direction for experimenting with filters?
Thanks
[/quote]

Just use Space with your Linn...Wink
Thanks echo, yes I know. I do use Space to take a whisker off the treble.
But I was just curious about the incredible versatility of Minimserver.
Now, if only it would produce sidecar files in each album directory and allow us to have album specific volume levels.....

Happy new year
donuk
(28-12-2016 09:11)Donuk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks echo, yes I know. I do use Space to take a whisker off the treble.
But I was just curious about the incredible versatility of Minimserver.
Now, if only it would produce sidecar files in each album directory and allow us to have album specific volume levels.....

Happy new year
donuk
Back to my original post - I understand that Minimserver does actually improve the sound quality of the music. This is because it uses way less CPU and is much more efficient than other systems such as Twonky. Perhaps Simon could clarify if he sees this post??
(28-12-2016 12:08)Melco Man Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that Minimserver does actually improve the sound quality of the music. This is because it uses way less CPU and is much more efficient than other systems such as Twonky.

I don't recall that Simon ever claimed this, and it is difficult to think of a mechanism by which a difference of this kind can have an effect on the analogue signal path via the renderer and the DAC.

What Simon has reported is that transcoding files (particularly to WAV24) using MinimStreamer can have a small but noticeable beneficial effect on sound quality. My own experience confirms this.

David
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's