Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
18-09-2016, 16:46
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(18-09-2016 15:21)Dottan Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

After I removed the Minimstreamer from the N1A, when I played DSD64 and DSD128 through the MSB Renderer, the "click/pop" sound issues just disappeared. The root caused came from the Minimstreamer.

Thanks for all the help provided to me.Smile

This is not caused by MinimStreamer. It is caused by a problem with how the MSB renderer handles DSD files encoded in DoP/WAV format. By removing MinimStreamer, you are sending the files to the renderer in native DSD format instead of DoP/WAV format.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2016, 03:11
(18-09-2016 16:46)simoncn Wrote:  This is not caused by MinimStreamer. It is caused by a problem with how the MSB renderer handles DSD files encoded in DoP/WAV format. By removing MinimStreamer, you are sending the files to the renderer in native DSD format instead of DoP/WAV format.

Hi simoncn,

I have little knowledge on the transcoding effect to music, on my case, if I transmit the files in native DSD format from N1A to Renderer, it should have better SQ than a DSF:DOPWAV format. To Add, I can see on the MSB displayed 64 or 128 when those files were being played.
19-09-2016, 07:30
Hi simoncn,

On second thought, if I re-install Minimstreamer, I probably need to double check that under "System", on the "stream.converter", I have "ffmpeg" available which i guess Minimserver + Ministreamer required "ffmpeg" for native DSD format streaming?
Can I copy "ffmpeg.exe" into N1A root directory to let Minimstreamer scan for it or I have to copy to a specific directory?
Thanks for your help to clarify my doubt.

Note : On "system.transcode", I will leave it blank in order not to create any "click/pop" sound issues with MSB Renderer.
19-09-2016, 08:52
(19-09-2016 03:11)Dottan Wrote:  I have little knowledge on the transcoding effect to music, on my case, if I transmit the files in native DSD format from N1A to Renderer, it should have better SQ than a DSF:DOPWAV format. To Add, I can see on the MSB displayed 64 or 128 when those files were being played.

There is no difference in sound quality between native DSD format and DoP encoding. The DoP encoding format is simply a wrapper for the native DSD stream and is required by some renderers for ease of processing.
19-09-2016, 08:54 (This post was last modified: 19-09-2016 08:54 by simoncn.)
(19-09-2016 07:30)Dottan Wrote:  On second thought, if I re-install Minimstreamer, I probably need to double check that under "System", on the "stream.converter", I have "ffmpeg" available which i guess Minimserver + Ministreamer required "ffmpeg" for native DSD format streaming?

You don't need ffmpeg for DSD streaming. It is used for some other transcoding combinations.

As you have now found a working solution, I suggest you leave MinimStreamer uninstalled.
19-09-2016, 15:02
(19-09-2016 08:54)simoncn Wrote:  You don't need ffmpeg for DSD streaming. It is used for some other transcoding combinations.

As you have now found a working solution, I suggest you leave MinimStreamer uninstalled.

Hi simoncn,

As always, thank you very much on your provided information.
19-09-2016, 15:09
Hi simoncn,

I forgot on this question regard to Minimserver on N1A, my music library occupied 55% of the total 4TB storage. Is it normal to wait for a while before I can see Minimserver on the Audionet CP?
My workaround, to play any single file from Twonsky before the Minimserver appeared on the Audionet CP for my selection to select music playback with Minimserver.
19-09-2016, 16:12 (This post was last modified: 19-09-2016 16:20 by simoncn.)
When you power on the N1, the following happens:

1) Twonky starts and shows up in the control point
2) Twonky begins a complete rescan of the library
3) MinimServer starts and begins a complete rescan of the library
4) When the MinimServer rescan completes, MinimServer shows up in the control point

With a large library, step 3 takes a long time because step 2 is consuming a lot of CPU resource and doing a lot of disk I/O to the same files and this makes MinimServer run much more slowly than normal.

The only solution at present is to set the MinimServer startupScan property to false. This omits step 3.
20-09-2016, 02:38
(19-09-2016 16:12)simoncn Wrote:  When you power on the N1, the following happens:

1) Twonky starts and shows up in the control point
2) Twonky begins a complete rescan of the library
3) MinimServer starts and begins a complete rescan of the library
4) When the MinimServer rescan completes, MinimServer shows up in the control point

With a large library, step 3 takes a long time because step 2 is consuming a lot of CPU resource and doing a lot of disk I/O to the same files and this makes MinimServer run much more slowly than normal.

The only solution at present is to set the MinimServer startupScan property to false. This omits step 3.

Hi simoncn,

Thank you very much again.
The N1A starts procedure is well understood by me now.
After thought, for my best solution, to take out those music library which I seldom listen since I remembered I saw Minimserver "error messages" on the N1A root directory but did not bother to fix it since I have a big music library. May be, it's time to do some music library housekeeping inside N1ABig Grin
30-09-2016, 20:54
Is anyone out there using another server to back up there melco's share folder?
I've been very laboriously populating my melco's library from a 1tb plus iTunes library folder by folder correcting tagging errors and adding missing artwork etc it's taken so much work already (and I'm only up to L) i really need to start backing it up.
Ideally i'd like to set up an automated backup direct from the melco to my Synology nas, does anyone know if this can be done.
I'm Hoping that there might be a straightforward package that can be installed on the Synology that will see shared folders on the network and back them up, any ideas?