Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
13-09-2016, 12:28
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(08-09-2016 22:17)Steeve Wrote:  Hi

I am currently evaluating a Melco N1A server at home and would like to install MinimServer on to it. Please could I be sent installation instructions as well?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi.
I have just bought an N1A and would also like instructions for Minimserver installation please.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2016, 08:41
Just a quick update - I've bought a copy of Jaikos, and I'm gradually working through my library. This program works a treat, as long as you don't try to load too many files into it at a time.

My hi-fi dealer's been in touch with Melco UK over the backup issue & one of their folks kindly called me yesterday, and he's going to look further into the problem. He also told me that Melco are working on a new update that will make things easier for us Melco owners. I could tell you more, but then I'd have to..etc... ;-)
14-09-2016, 15:45
I need some advice and wonder anyone have the same setup as mine.

I had the N1A connected via Player port to my MSB DAC Renderer with a CAT7 cable. The LAN port was connected to my router. Melco N1A was installed with Twonky/Minimserver. I used Minimserver to play DSD tracks with Kinksy (CP).
Every time I played DSD files, I will get a "pop/click" sound coming out from my speaker either when I stopped/pause or changed tracks.

I tested by hooking up my NAS direct to MSB Renderer via same CAT7 cable, it's does not have this 'pop/click" sound issues. Therefore, the issues is coming from N1A.

Have anyone experience the same issues as me on the N1A + MSB Renderer setup which resulted on "pop/click" sound while stopped/pause/changed DSD tracks during playback?
Note : It does not happened to FLAC, WAV files
14-09-2016, 17:22
When you play files from the NAS direct to the renderer, are you using a UPnP server or are you using file sharing to access the files? If you are using a UPnP server, is it MinimServer or something else?
15-09-2016, 01:56
Hi simoncn,

my NAS setup was installed with Minimserver and Bubble uPnP server connected through my router (Asus) ,then, from router to MSB Renderer via same CAT7 cable.
I am running out of ideas how to fix the "pop/click" sound since it's happened on DSD tracks only if the N1A was connected to MSB Renderer via N1A Player port.
Any advice appreciated.

(14-09-2016 17:22)simoncn Wrote:  When you play files from the NAS direct to the renderer, are you using a UPnP server or are you using file sharing to access the files? If you are using a UPnP server, is it MinimServer or something else?
15-09-2016, 07:04
(15-09-2016 01:56)Dottan Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

my NAS setup was installed with Minimserver and Bubble uPnP server connected through my router (Asus) ,then, from router to MSB Renderer via same CAT7 cable.
I am running out of ideas how to fix the "pop/click" sound since it's happened on DSD tracks only if the N1A was connected to MSB Renderer via N1A Player port.
Any advice appreciated.

Do you have the same DSD transcoding settings (e.g., dsf:dopwav) on the Melco and NAS instances of MinimServer?
15-09-2016, 14:52 (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 15:27 by Dottan.)
Hi simoncn,

I am not so well versed on Minimserver. I just installed it from your guidance. The difference between the N1A and NAS, Minimstreamer was installed on N1A and it was not installed on the NAS.
Also, on the N1A, I selected : USB DAC --> DSF/DSDIFF Playback --> DSD (DSD over PCM).
On NAS playback, I just selected the DSD tracks from the CP.

May I know how to check the transcoding settings (e.g., dsf:dopwav)?
Thanks for your help in advance.Smile

(15-09-2016 07:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 01:56)Dottan Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

Any advice appreciated.

Do you have the same DSD transcoding settings (e.g., dsf:dopwav) on the Melco and NAS instances of MinimServer?
15-09-2016, 17:29
(15-09-2016 14:52)Dottan Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

I am not so well versed on Minimserver. I just installed it from your guidance. The difference between the N1A and NAS, Minimstreamer was installed on N1A and it was not installed on the NAS.
Also, on the N1A, I selected : USB DAC --> DSF/DSDIFF Playback --> DSD (DSD over PCM).

The USB-DAC setting on the N1A only makes a difference if your DAC is connected via USB. It doesn't make any difference if your DAC is connected via Ethernet cable.

Quote:On NAS playback, I just selected the DSD tracks from the CP.

Is this a UPnP control point that shows the MinimServer menus (n albums, n items, etc.) or a file-sharing control point that lets you select music by browsing folders and files on the NAS?

Quote:May I know how to check the transcoding settings (e.g., dsf:dopwav)?
Thanks for your help in advance.Smile

You can check by using MinimWatch to show the Properties window of MinimServer and then selecting the System tab and looking at the stream.transcode property.

As an experiment, you could try removing these transcoding settings to see if the music still plays and whether you still get the pop/click noise.
16-09-2016, 05:08 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 06:15 by Dottan.)
(15-09-2016 17:29)simoncn Wrote:  The USB-DAC setting on the N1A only makes a difference if your DAC is connected via USB. It doesn't make any difference if your DAC is connected via Ethernet cable.
Thank you very much. Now, I understand better on the N1A setting via Ethernet cable.

Quote:Is this a UPnP control point that shows the MinimServer menus (n albums, n items, etc.) or a file-sharing control point that lets you select music by browsing folders and files on the NAS?
I forgot to mention that I am using the free version of Audionet as CP on both N1A and NAS setup. With Audionet, I cannot select Minimserver straightaway, I had to play a file from Twonsky on N1A setup before the Minimserver can be shown up for selection. Either Twonsky or Minimserver, using Audionet, I am able to see albums, artists, etc to select my music.

Quote:You can check by using MinimWatch to show the Properties window of MinimServer and then selecting the System tab and looking at the stream.transcode property.

As an experiment, you could try removing these transcoding settings to see if the music still plays and whether you still get the pop/click noise.
Thank you for this information which is very helpful to me. Will try to check for the transcoding settings (e.g., dsf:dopwav) and if possible to delete Minimstreamer from N1A to check on the "click/pop" issues since on the NAS setup, I did not installed Minimstreamer. Smile
18-09-2016, 15:21
Hi simoncn,

After I removed the Minimstreamer from the N1A, when I played DSD64 and DSD128 through the MSB Renderer, the "click/pop" sound issues just disappeared. The root caused came from the Minimstreamer.

Thanks for all the help provided to me.Smile