Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New MinimServer Compatible Renderer on Raspberry Pi etc.
01-11-2014, 13:42 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 17:46 by DaveWr.)
New MinimServer Compatible Renderer on Raspberry Pi etc.
There is now a new version of Volumio available. (Google is your friend)

Upside:
This is a player project that used to just operate with MPD. Version 1.5 just released, incorporate Open Home Media support, so works with Kinsky, Bubble etc. Installation is straightforward, full images are provided for Raspberry Pi (B and B+), Cubox, Beaglebone Black and UDOO hardware. Many USB and I2C DACs are supported. All configuration is through a dedicated web browser

Downside (for me):
A patched version for use with Wolfson DAC card not yet available, although one of the contributors did create an image for the previous release.

There are bound to be bugs and issues arising, but it is another player option that can be used within the MinimServer ethos.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 22:09
RE: New MinimServer Compatible Renderer on Raspberry Pi etc.
(01-11-2014 13:42)DaveWr Wrote:  There is now a new version of Volumio available. (Google is your friend)

Upside:
This is a player project that used to just operate with MPD. Version 1.5 just released, incorporate Open Home Media support, so works with Kinsky, Bubble etc. Installation is straightforward, full images are provided for Raspberry Pi (B and B+), Cubox, Beaglebone Black and UDOO hardware. Many USB and I2C DACs are supported. All configuration is through a dedicated web browser

Downside (for me):
A patched version for use with Wolfson DAC card not yet available, although one of the contributors did create an image for the previous release.

There are bound to be bugs and issues arising, but it is another player option that can be used within the MinimServer ethos.

Dave

I use the Pi B+ with the HiFiBerry DAC+in my hobby-room.
Volumio as renderer, MinimServer on the NAS using BubbleUPnP or UPnPPlayer (WindowsPhone) as controlpoint.
Surprisingly it works, even wireless and Hi-res without issues.
Sound is quite good!
OK, it is not a Linn, but given the price it is a winner!

Regards,

Peter.
29-01-2015, 13:46
(01-11-2014 13:42)DaveWr Wrote:  There is now a new version of Volumio available. (Google is your friend)

You may also want to have a look at this:

https://github.com/guussie/PiDS/wiki/RPi...l-Streamer

The objective was to emulate a Linn streamer for use with older amps or all-in-one boxes such as the Linn Classik Music, and to achieve at least a similar sound quality as the original CD solution.

This solution is of course fully MinimServer compatible and uses a java implementation of the ohMediaPlayer, converted by PeteManchester.

Functionality:

- Kinsky Kazoo control points (other may also work)
- ohMediaPlayer
- Internet radio
- AirPlay
- Streaming services support such as Deezer, Qobuz, Tital and others (requires a separate Logitech Media Server which can run on a PC, Raspberry Pi etc.)
02-02-2015, 13:49
(29-01-2015 13:46)guussie Wrote:  

The objective was to emulate a Linn streamer for use with older amps or all-in-one boxes such as the Linn Classik Music, and to achieve at least a similar sound quality as the original CD solution.

This solution is of course fully MinimServer compatible and uses a java implementation of the ohMediaPlayer, converted by PeteManchester.

Functionality:

- ohMediaPlayer
- Internet radio
- AirPlay
- Streaming services support such as Deezer, Qobuz, Tital and others (requires a separate Logitech Media Server which can run on a PC, Raspberry Pi etc.)
Hi Gussie

I already run PeteManchester's player with a Wolfson Audio Card on the Pi.

Great news today a new Raspberry Pi with quad core CPU and 1G RAM. Might be able to get basic room correction in now. People have been trying using Folve.

Dave
18-02-2015, 14:14
(29-01-2015 13:46)guussie Wrote:  

Functionality:

- ohMediaPlayer
- Internet radio
- AirPlay

Interesting project. One question: can Squeezlite and ohMediaPlayer coexist on the same Pi and use the same audio output? And can Logitech Mediaserver and Minimserver be run simultanously on the same Pi?

I currently run Minimserver/MediaPlayer from one SD card, and Logitech mediaserver/Squeezelite from another. So I have to swap SD cards to use both. But it would be excellent if I could run both systems at once. I have another Pi that could be used for the servers. I use the HDMI out for audio - I extract the S/PDIF signal and feed that to my receiver.

I now use Minimserver/MediaPlayer for playback of my own library, since it handles it a lot better than any other solution. I have a large library, and the speed difference when updating the library is very noticeable. It is a matter of minutes instead of hours. But Logitech has the integration with Spotify etc. I subscribe to Wimp. And Logitech plays back Wimp gaplessly. Neither the desktop app or the Android app can do that, unless I upgrade to Wimp Hi-Fi. So that is a big plus for using the Logitech/Squeezelite solution also.
03-03-2015, 17:03
At the moment I am using a Pi 2 with HiFiBerry Amp.
Working perfect and with Minimserver all is doing fine. Only when I using Songcast to receive a signal from my Linn streamer, volume goes to max and I cannot regulate it.
I am using Arm Linus with Mediaplayer (PeteManchester)and MPD or MPPLAYER but whatever I try with Songcast it goes to maximum.
Any suggestions? Is it then a totally different stream which bypasses the volumecontrol?

Thanks in advance.

Ad.