MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver disappers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi, I have Minimserver on my ReadyNAS Duo v2 and acces it using Kinsky on my iPad to play through my Linn SneakyDS. Of late, when I turn on Kinsky, Minimserver is not available and does not show as a server. I have to use the built in ReadyNAS media server which is not as good by a mile. For no reason I can find, Minimserver will appear later. Is this a Minimserver problem or a Kinsky problem?

Cheers, Bill.
My version of Kinsky finds MinimServer all the time. Now if it will only find my source.
(21-03-2014 21:08)clio09 Wrote: [ -> ]My version of Kinsky finds MinimServer all the time. Now if it will only find my source.

Yes I have this problem on and off as well. I have to power off the Sneaky to get Kinsky to find it. Unfortunately, the SneakyDS does not have a power switch and I have to pull the plug from the back of it, which is inconvenient.
(21-03-2014 20:53)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have Minimserver on my ReadyNAS Duo v2 and acces it using Kinsky on my iPad to play through my Linn SneakyDS. Of late, when I turn on Kinsky, Minimserver is not available and does not show as a server. I have to use the built in ReadyNAS media server which is not as good by a mile. For no reason I can find, Minimserver will appear later. Is this a Minimserver problem or a Kinsky problem?

Cheers, Bill.

This is likely to be a problem with your router settings or something else in your network that is blocking UPnP discovery multicast messages. What router do you have? Did you make any changes to your network just before the problem started?
(21-03-2014 22:11)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-03-2014 20:53)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have Minimserver on my ReadyNAS Duo v2 and acces it using Kinsky on my iPad to play through my Linn SneakyDS. Of late, when I turn on Kinsky, Minimserver is not available and does not show as a server. I have to use the built in ReadyNAS media server which is not as good by a mile. For no reason I can find, Minimserver will appear later. Is this a Minimserver problem or a Kinsky problem?

Cheers, Bill.

This is likely to be a problem with your router settings or something else in your network that is blocking UPnP discovery multicast messages. What router do you have? Did you make any changes to your network just before the problem started?

I have a BT Homehub Simon and can't think of making any changes to the settings. The problem has only appeared in the last few months. Kinsky finds the ReadyNAS media server every time but as I say, Minimserver is found sporadically.
(21-03-2014 22:36)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]I have a BT Homehub Simon and can't think of making any changes to the settings. The problem has only appeared in the last few months. Kinsky finds the ReadyNAS media server every time but as I say, Minimserver is found sporadically.

I have heard of problems with Home Hubs and I suspect this is the cause. Some media servers flood the network with "alive" announcements to compensate for problems with other network equipment, and this might be why the ReadyNAS media server is being found.

Does the Home Hub have any settings relating to IGMP snooping or multicast? Which model of Home Hub is it?

The Linn recommended network setup is to add a switch to your network and connect all your audio equipment to the switch. This ensures any problems with the router don't affect the operation of your audio equipment. It is likely that adopting this setup would solve the discovery problem.
(21-03-2014 22:45)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-03-2014 22:36)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]I have a BT Homehub Simon and can't think of making any changes to the settings. The problem has only appeared in the last few months. Kinsky finds the ReadyNAS media server every time but as I say, Minimserver is found sporadically.

I have heard of problems with Home Hubs and I suspect this is the cause. Some media servers flood the network with "alive" announcements to compensate for problems with other network equipment, and this might be why the ReadyNAS media server is being found.

Does the Home Hub have any settings relating to IGMP snooping or multicast? Which model of Home Hub is it?

The Linn recommended network setup is to add a switch to your network and connect all your audio equipment to the switch. This ensures any problems with the router don't affect the operation of your audio equipment. It is likely that adopting this setup would solve the discovery problem.

Hi Simon,

The homehub is the latest one from BT, I can't see any settings that you mention. All my equipment is connected to a Netgear switch. I have always used a switch with my Sneaky. What is strange, is that everything worked fine for over a year, but this problem only occurred in last few months. Cheers.

Bill.
(22-03-2014 10:48)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,

The homehub is the latest one from BT, I can't see any settings that you mention. All my equipment is connected to a Netgear switch. I have always used a switch with my Sneaky. What is strange, is that everything worked fine for over a year, but this problem only occurred in last few months. Cheers.

Bill.

As a test, can you try running Kinsky on a PC or Mac with a wired connection to your switch? Does this find MinimServer consistently and quickly?
(22-03-2014 14:22)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-03-2014 10:48)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,

Bill.

As a test, can you try running Kinsky on a PC or Mac with a wired connection to your switch? Does this find MinimServer consistently and quickly?

Unfortunately I no longer have a Windows PC in the house Simon. Since my windows laptop packed in a few months ago, I only have an iPad and an old laptop running Linux (Ubuntu). The Linux laptop is wired to the switch but as of yet I have not installed Minimwatch to it as it looks a bit complicated. I did try to install java but could not get it to work. What I have done today is restart Minimserver on the NAS and it has appeared in Kinsky. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I start Kinsky and go to the library's, the ReadyNAS Media server appears instantly and Minimserver pops up a few seconds later or not at all as is the reason for the post. I would prefer to have the ReadyNAS media server disabled but I do need it for videos to my WDlive box.

All seems well at the moment and I will report back if it disappears again. Thanks for your help so far.

Bill.
(22-03-2014 18:45)Billzab Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I no longer have a Windows PC in the house Simon. Since my windows laptop packed in a few months ago, I only have an iPad and an old laptop running Linux (Ubuntu). The Linux laptop is wired to the switch but as of yet I have not installed Minimwatch to it as it looks a bit complicated. I did try to install java but could not get it to work. What I have done today is restart Minimserver on the NAS and it has appeared in Kinsky. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I start Kinsky and go to the library's, the ReadyNAS Media server appears instantly and Minimserver pops up a few seconds later or not at all as is the reason for the post. I would prefer to have the ReadyNAS media server disabled but I do need it for videos to my WDlive box.

All seems well at the moment and I will report back if it disappears again. Thanks for your help so far.

Bill.

Can you try Kinsky on the wired Linux laptop?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get the best from MinimServer without a computer that can run Java and MinimWatch. Which version of Ubuntu are you running?
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's