Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel silly asking, but, does minimserver do automatic rescans?
06-03-2017, 05:48 (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 05:49 by antonmb.)
RE: I feel silly asking, but, does minimserver do automatic rescans?
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but the script solution seems a lot of unnecessary trouble for a Synology. The Synology's task scheduler can stop and start services on a schedule. Simply schedule a daily service task to stop media servers at 1:00am and restart media servers at 1:05. Minimserver scans when it starts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 09:14
(06-03-2017 05:48)antonmb Wrote:  Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but the script solution seems a lot of unnecessary trouble for a Synology. The Synology's task scheduler can stop and start services on a schedule. Simply schedule a daily service task to stop media servers at 1:00am and restart media servers at 1:05. Minimserver scans when it starts.

And what happens if you do a restart during the day and have a large library?

You are correct that the Synology has a scheduler. But with scripting you have more control and can ensure that MinimServer behaves the way that is appropriate for the time of day and the purpose.
06-03-2017, 15:40
(06-03-2017 09:14)Pepsican Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 05:48)antonmb Wrote:  Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but the script solution seems a lot of unnecessary trouble for a Synology. The Synology's task scheduler can stop and start services on a schedule. Simply schedule a daily service task to stop media servers at 1:00am and restart media servers at 1:05. Minimserver scans when it starts.

And what happens if you do a restart during the day and have a large library?

You are correct that the Synology has a scheduler. But with scripting you have more control and can ensure that MinimServer behaves the way that is appropriate for the time of day and the purpose.
Perhaps I don't understand the question or don't have a very large library (1600 albums/22,000 tracks), but with Minimserver rescan property set to "true", as opposed to "full," the occasional manual scan when I add an album takes about 2 minutes. If I've forgotten anything, the automatic overnight rescan catches it.